• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shuho Sato: Publisher Lost Several Billion Yen Last Year

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and predicted that three of these top-selling manga series will be ending this year.

Let's see... Fullmetal Alchemist is approaching the end, we know Vagabond is finishing... what others might he be talking about?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Didn't Nodame Cantabile already end?

Has that been published in a bound volume yet?
Juhachi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Based on the "70 magazines published" clue, I'd say that's it's probably Shueisha, the publisher of Weekly Shounen Jump, quite possibly the most well-known manga magazine alive, which serializes such titles as Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Hunter x Hunter, Gintama, etc.

As for the "three manga series which will end", they'd have to be series published by Shueisha, though I don't know of any that are close to ending.
MUSAWE

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Yikes. The anime/manga industry has been hit really hard by the recession. With all these articles about animators going into the gaming industry and the decreasing number of shows for the past 2 or 3 years, it's not looking good.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:49 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Quote:
and predicted that three of these top-selling manga series will be ending this year.

Let's see... Fullmetal Alchemist is approaching the end, we know Vagabond is finishing... what others might he be talking about?

He said that those three belong to one Publisher and FMA belongs to Square-Enix, while Vagabond is put out by Kodansha.
IzanaginoOkami

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Juhachi wrote:
Based on the "70 magazines published" clue, I'd say that's it's probably Shueisha, the publisher of Weekly Shounen Jump, quite possibly the most well-known manga magazine alive, which serializes such titles as Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Hunter x Hunter, Gintama, etc.

As for the "three manga series which will end", they'd have to be series published by Shueisha, though I don't know of any that are close to ending.

it could be Naruto and Bleach doubt one piece though
edzieba

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:04 pm Reply with quote
MUSAWE wrote:
Yikes. The anime/manga industry has been hit really hard by the recession. With all these articles about animators going into the gaming industry and the decreasing number of shows for the past 2 or 3 years, it's not looking good.
I'm not sure if it's the recession, or simply people not wanting to buy magazines or tankoubons any more. With the amount of people in japan who prefer to read manga on their phones (can't fathom why, I couldn't stand the paltry resolution), people have simply moved on the the publishing industry hasn't kept up.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Vagabond, Nodame Cantabile, Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle, xxxHolic... I'd say that the publisher is most likely Kodansha, and Weekly Shonen Magazine the magazine discussed in the article.

I have no idea if Kodansha publishes 70 magazines or not, but Kodansha does have a lot of popular series ending lately, unlike say Shueisha, and it has been in a steep decline over the past decade.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
He said that those three belong to one Publisher and FMA belongs to Square-Enix, while Vagabond is put out by Kodansha.

*shrugs* I was just brainstorming.

it's worrisome to hear about publishers losing money in Japan, because print media is one of their most resilient industries thanks to it being cheap as dirt compared to just about everything else.

And seriously, people read manga on their phones?! Why?!
Gasero

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:31 pm Reply with quote
70 magazines? There's the problem right there! In today's market it is downright stupid for a company to own and publish 70 magazines. Especially considering how small Japan is in total.

I know, how about you consolidate or eliminate some mags so that consumers have to buy more of the same magazine and the publisher can print less therefore making the profit point shorter.

I am not a businessman so I dunno, but a lot of the business models I see these people complaining about do not make sense. Just looking at the way the American banking and auto industries failed I can come up with plenty of ways they could have done better, and that's without using hindsight because I was thinking those things before they failed.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:33 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

*shrugs* I was just brainstorming.

it's worrisome to hear about publishers losing money in Japan, because print media is one of their most resilient industries thanks to it being cheap as dirt compared to just about everything else.

Two reasons I can think of:

A. no one knows what you're reading..so no shame
B.more portable
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Two reasons I can think of:

A. no one knows what you're reading..so no shame[/quote]
That's what fake covers are for.

Quote:
B.more portable

And so tiny it must be nigh-impossible to read. There still has to be a market for the bound volumes, right?

Quote:
70 magazines? There's the problem right there! In today's market it is downright stupid for a company to own and publish 70 magazines. Especially considering how small Japan is in total.

Print media is way bigger in Japan than America; 70 would be beyond total saturation state-side, but there's a much bigger demand for reading material in Japan. Still, there may be some need for pruning of poor-selling magazines.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Sadly, Black Jack cannot cure a money hemorrhage.

I hope FMA is one of the manga ending this year. It's been feeling a little too dragged out lately.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:16 pm Reply with quote
MUSAWE wrote:

But don't forget though that the losses here aren't all manga. From the article:
Quote:

He added that, of the approximately 70 manga, fashion, and other genre magazines that this publisher prints, over 60 of them are losing money.

Sato further reported that all of the publisher's 10 top-selling books are manga,

Anyways, looking the other articles concerning his costs and decision to self-publish, I can see why he went that route.
Juhachi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
Vagabond, Nodame Cantabile, Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle, xxxHolic... I'd say that the publisher is most likely Kodansha, and Weekly Shonen Magazine the magazine discussed in the article.

I have no idea if Kodansha publishes 70 magazines or not, but Kodansha does have a lot of popular series ending lately, unlike say Shueisha, and it has been in a steep decline over the past decade.

Kodansha and Shogakukan were the only other two that I thought it could be, and it seems Shogakukan has roughly or more than 70 magazines in print, while Kodansha's closer to about 50.

Shogakukan publishes Weekly Shounen Suday, which has been in even longer publication than Weekly Shounen Jump by about a decade, so that could easily be the magazine cited. Also, the circulation of the magazine has gone down in recent years.

Shogakukan publishes such series as Hayate no Gotoku, Kekkaishi, Major, and of course Detective Conan, which I must say if it's close to ending that certainly would be a big loss to the company.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2