• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Literature about anime.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ladokoz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:57 am Reply with quote
Hi people, excuse my bad english...

Im searching for some good books about history and theory of anime. Im working on a large text about Satoshi Kon for school. So anything about him would be also very usefull.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you very much for any help you can offer. Smile
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:10 pm Reply with quote
There's actually quite a few books that talk about the the history of anime and discuss theory. First that comes to mind is Mechademia. There's also Anime and Philosophy, The Anime Machine: A Media Theory of Animation, Cinema Anime: Critical Engagements With Japanese Animation, and 500 Essential Anime Movies: The Ultimate Guide. All of these might have information that could be useful to you. And there are plenty more, just go look around the Boarders website and you'll find plenty of books about the history and theory of anime. It's actually a very popular topic so there is no short supply of intelligent essays and published works that could help you.

Also, you might find it helpful to check out The Anime Encyclopedia: A Guide to Japanese Animation Since 1917.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ladokoz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Thank you soooo very much. Very Happy

Mushi-Man wrote:
There's actually quite a few books that talk about the the history of anime and discuss theory. First that comes to mind is Mechademia. There's also Anime and Philosophy, The Anime Machine: A Media Theory of Animation, Cinema Anime: Critical Engagements With Japanese Animation, and 500 Essential Anime Movies: The Ultimate Guide. All of these might have information that could be useful to you. And there are plenty more, just go look around the Boarders website and you'll find plenty of books about the history and theory of anime. It's actually a very popular topic so there is no short supply of intelligent essays and published works that could help you.

Also, you might find it helpful to check out The Anime Encyclopedia: A Guide to Japanese Animation Since 1917.
Andrez

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Hey Ladokoz,

I just did an extensive interview with Satoshi Kon for Impact magazine over in the UK - if you PM me with your e-mail contact details, I'll send you through the complete Q+A we undertook, which you're more than welcome to use any material from if you find it helpful for the school project. Wink

Also, there's the nifty Otaku Encylopedia that was published by Kodansha over here in Japan last year.
PaulJ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:49 pm Reply with quote
What is often overlooked is that the The Anime Encyclopedia: A Guide to Japanese Animation Since 1917 contains 28 excellent thematic articles which contain a wealth of background information... not too mention the very obvious 3000 anime entries.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:33 am Reply with quote
Also, check out the work of Susan J. Napier. She has a few books on anime that could be useful to you.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:23 am Reply with quote
Manga Manga is a good book.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1