• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Acquires Bamboo Blade, Druaga, Dragonaut

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:50 am Reply with quote
Whoa, I go to Bali for a few days and suddenly Funimation is blitzing new announcements? Let's see...

Druaga
Bamboo Blade

Win all over my screen. Thank you Funimation, especially for Druaga!
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:15 am Reply with quote
Jarmel wrote:
Nothing got accomplished though. spoiler[The bad guy is still alive, in some form or whatsoever(unless they were going for Aion was pure evil which would be stupid as they had to physically show that he was evil through that assassin instead of letting his actions stand on their own). The main characters are dead. The brother goes insane. The loli nun(I can't remember her name) is pretty much alone. ] It was just stupid, there really was no sense of closure like say with Bebop in which the Spike and Vicious arc ended. This was as close to a bad guys win ending that you're going to get. The manga had a much better ending and made much more sense than the anime. Once again it was Gonzo making up crap like they did with Hellsing.

Here is a quote that is appropriate for what I'm talking about, "We saved the Shire, Sam, but not for me." spoiler[ Chrno and Rossette saved the world for now but sacrificed too much, that what was important too them wasn't there anymore, they couldn't go back to what they were before becuase they physically and spiritually couldn't. They wanted to have some peace before they go. They live on through Azumaria, as she wants to be just as "strong" as them. Aion's appearance is that "Evil never truly dies." Add Demon to the mix and it maybe harder, divine will anyone?]

So umm yeah that ending provided closure.

It's more that series now tend to stop at the anti-climax area of the story, if they get there. Pumpkin Scisssors comes to mind.
Jarmel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:14 am Reply with quote
Well LotR was actually much more traditional as the main villian was defeated. It would be more apt if say Gollum got away or if the ring wasn't destroyed and Frodo and Gandalf left. This would make their whole journey pointless. spoiler[ Again I could care less about the main characters dying which as shown by Code Geass, Bebop, Blood Plus(kinda), can show closure. The closure part of the narrative comes into effect with how you view Aion's death, such as if he is still alive or Remington was hallucinating and sees all evil as Aion, which branched off from the manga in their view of Aion. Aion being dead does give more closure to the story but they partially ruined this with Remington "seeing" Aion, to which we don't know if he was hallucinating or if that actually was Aion, since we are talking about demons. If Aion is still alive then again it makes most of the story pointless as Rosetta didn't save her brother and the main villain is still out there.]

Pumpkin Scissors was all sorts of fail but this is going way off topic.

If you want to continue with the Chrono ending debate, just PM or something.

Edit:Oops mixed up names. Been a long time since I've seen the series.
kakitamike

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:20 am Reply with quote
Feel like i've been waiting forever for Bamboo Blade to finally get licensed, and thank the powers that be it got licensed by a company that still dubs their shows.

Plan to pick up Druaga and Dragonaut as well.

Blassreiter...eh, caught an episode and it didn't really grab me. Maybe when RS has a sale.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Stretch2424

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:55 pm Reply with quote
After watching episode one, everybody seems to jump to the conclusion that Blassreiter will be a childish show that relies on CG action at the expense of everything else. I can assure you that this will not be a Gerd-Frentzen-as-an-anti-demoniac-vigilante show; he will be dead long before it is over, and his death amazed me with it's poignancy. Episode twelve was one of the most gripping and intense anime episodes I've ever seen in any series. This has become one of my all-time favorites (and I've watched at least 500 TV series/OVAs/movies). What I love about it is that the plot is complex and sophisticated, yet I completely understand it. Anybody who abandons Blassreiter after one or two episodes is only hurting themself. Elea alone makes it worth watching! If the Funimation version has a decent dub, and better yet some extras, I'll gladly buy it, even though I'm short on money at the moment.
Case

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:27 pm Reply with quote
This is really interesting to me.

So, Blessreiter and Druaga - the shows that turned Crunchyroll into a business and rocketed Crunchyroll's Alexa score above ANN's; the shows that said Japan understood the importance of internet technology and simultaneous global distribution; the shows that were going to shutter the US anime industry as we know it and make DVD distribution defunct - gets licensed a year later by one of those very same aforementioned impotent DVD licensors for R1 release. Why? GONZO doesn't think the people who want to see it have already?

Just another layoff story? Or empirical proof that for-profit digital distribution is a big joke? I'd love to see a company rep answer that question.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:37 pm Reply with quote
...did anyone ever claim that the shows Crunchyroll was legally streaming would "end the R1 industry" or "make the DVD defunct"? You're honestly the first person I've ever seen express those sentiments. I know I always looked at the whole affair as a welcome experiment in making fansubs for a few series completely unnecessary and providing a legal outlet for those people only interested in watching a show once in subbed form. That doesn't change the fact that there are many people out there who are interested in buying DVDs and/or enjoy watching dubs, and it's for those people that FUNi licensed these series. Crunchyroll's initiatives serve as a good supplement to R1 licensing, not a complete replacement.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Many fans, me included prefer higher quality and a physical copy. It wouldn't make any sense to just start digital distribution and forget physical releases. Without dubs no less. That would make many people unhappy.
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Case wrote:

So, Blessreiter and Druaga - the shows that turned Crunchyroll into a business and rocketed Crunchyroll's Alexa score above ANN's; the shows that said Japan understood the importance of internet technology and simultaneous global distribution; the shows that were going to shutter the US anime industry as we know it and make DVD distribution defunct - gets licensed a year later by one of those very same aforementioned impotent DVD licensors for R1 release. Why? GONZO doesn't think the people who want to see it have already?

Just another layoff story? Or empirical proof that for-profit digital distribution is a big joke? I'd love to see a company rep answer that question.

Case, I'm not sure where you got those opinions that these shows, of all things, would end the traditional R1 industry.

In fact, Funi has made digital rights more-or-less mandatory for most of their shows for years now and has been putting a ton of content up for free on their website even before the DVDs are out!

Almost all anime produced has been fansubbed and easily obtainable over the web for almost a decade now. Crunchyroll and others are merely turning some of that otherwise "lost money" into revenue for Japan and themselves.

It's taking the status quo and redeeming at least some cash out of it. That's the primary theory behind it.

By making it legal, you reduce piracy (that has certainly been the case compared to if the only way to see these shows was via fansubs) and you return some money back to the proper content owners/creators.

I suspect this may be an attempt at trolling.

-Tofu
Case

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Teh Rules wrote:
8b) No "Back Seat Moderating" - If you know a thread is going to be locked, do not post in it, posting in threads that are clearly going to be locked will be dealt with as "trolling " type behavior. Do not berate posters for breaking the rules, that is the job of the ANN moderators and admins. Please report the post and, if you think it is necessary, contact a moderator or admin.

I don't know why you think looking back to the digital distribution of these titles is trolling, but regardless, if thats really what you think, there's that little Report Post button right there above my post. Telling the forum that I'm a troll, is trolling, isn't it?

I'm well aware of all the points you just reiterated, and I'd still like to ask a Gonzo staffer the afore-posted questions. Remember all the Crunchyroll buzz at AX08? People really expressed the opinion that the reduced lag time of fansubs were one of the foremost demands of consumers, and really suggested that the disc format was on its way to the grave, prompting Shawne Kleckner to say that "the DVD-is-dead mantra is at least a few years too early".

I'm not sure why I'm being accused of bad behavior for remembering that month-plus long discussion. I didn't say that streaming had no purpose in the anime business; just that it's not the next evolution that so many people - including industry people - made it out to be at the time. I would genuinely love to hear Gonzo's thoughts on distribution methods now that the Blessreiter & Druaga experiment is over.
bayoab

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Case wrote:

So, Blessreiter and Druaga - the shows that turned Crunchyroll into a business and rocketed Crunchyroll's Alexa score above ANN's;

This is revisionist history.

Quote:
the shows that were going to shutter the US anime industry as we know it and make DVD distribution defunct - gets licensed a year later by one of those very same aforementioned impotent DVD licensors for R1 release.
This is a gross exaggeration.

Quote:
Why? GONZO doesn't think the people who want to see it have already?
Those who don't watch subtitles? Those who actually want a good quality copy? Or maybe Gonzo needs money that badly?

Quote:
Or empirical proof that for-profit digital distribution is a big joke? I'd love to see a company rep answer that question.
How is this proof? Of what? We have no idea how much Gonzo made from it. We do know Gonzo can still make more money by licensing it out.
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Case wrote:
I'm not sure why I'm being accused of bad behavior for remembering that month-plus long discussion. I didn't say that streaming had no purpose in the anime business; just that it's not the next evolution that so many people - including industry people - made it out to be at the time. I would genuinely love to hear Gonzo's thoughts on distribution methods now that the Blessreiter & Druaga experiment is over.

I remember those discussions well and no one in the know ever seriously said that streaming would destroy the DVD. They did say, however, that it would destroy fansubbing. Though by no means 100% successful, it is well on its way of achieving that objective.

-Tofu
rg4619

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:31 pm Reply with quote
I don't recall any declaration of the end of DVDs either.

There was some talk that niche, low profile shows might become digital-only, but no one ever suggested that streams would completely replace physical media. Indeed, there was simultaneous talk about how to improve the retail situation, such as the release of season/half-season sets over singles.
LiuXuande

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I love my DVDs, and DVD quality.

And Bamboo Blade is the only thing this topic should really be about, anyway Razz
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Case wrote:
Teh Rules wrote:
8b) No "Back Seat Moderating" - If you know a thread is going to be locked, do not post in it, posting in threads that are clearly going to be locked will be dealt with as "trolling " type behavior. Do not berate posters for breaking the rules, that is the job of the ANN moderators and admins. Please report the post and, if you think it is necessary, contact a moderator or admin.

I don't know why you think looking back to the digital distribution of these titles is trolling, but regardless, if thats really what you think, there's that little Report Post button right there above my post. Telling the forum that I'm a troll, is trolling, isn't it?

Oh! Oh! Oh! I wanna be part of the chain of irony and hypocrisy too!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 17