• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Latest Pokémon Movie Runs on U.S. Cartoon Network

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NinjaHero

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Finny-chan wrote:
wow they are still coming out with new pokemon I thought they stopped at 351? I only liked the first season and the old school Pokemon especially Ratatta and Mew. Pokemon sucks now with all the new voices I liked the old ones better........
351? Ruby and Sapphire brought the count from 251 to 386, not 351. Then Diamond and Pearl lifted it to 493. As long as there are new game generations (like GSC, RSE, etc.), there will be new Pokemon, and said Pokemon will become animated. It's up to the game makers how many there are.

I do find it funny how Nintendo likes to make Shaymin sound like no one's heard of it before. As soon as a Pokemon game is released, it gets hacked, and the internet world knows what every single one is. But I guess to the little kids who can't use the internet to the extent to find out, it is new stuff.

But yeah, I dislike the new VA's too. Less edits or not, it's a hard thing to watch. I think I'd rather watch subs. I hope Pokemon USA decides to make those available.
Ari-chan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I actually don't mind the new voices so much anymore. Sure, they aren't spectacular in any way, but they have there own charm once you detatch yourself from the 4kids voices and stop comparing the two together. Besides, they tend to act better in the movies than in the show for some reason.

jr0904 wrote:
I know what you mean but at least they haven't totaly altered this season's original script,which will slide.BUT that OP is something to be desired.Should've kept the original OP as well as the japaneese names for some of the D&P characters,especially hikari.

That wouldn't happen be it with 4kids or PUSA. They never have and probably never will keep the origional Japanese OPs. Why give Hikari special treatment? Both PUSA and 4Kids are fairly similar in thier treatment of name changing. They will sometimes keep original names, and sometimes change the names into an English equivalent. For Hikari, I consider Dawn to be pretty close to her original name's meaning (light) without sounding ridiculus.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Well, I think a large reason why there's no Japanese track available is, besides the lack of a market for one (I mean, does the target audience of Pokemon really care about the voices?), is the fact that many Pokemon have different names in the U.S. than they do in Japan. So not only would a Japanese track not have much of a demand, but it could actually be debilitating for a franchise which is built on name recognition.

Rica Matsumoto is a great Satoshi/Ash, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:20 am Reply with quote
And in the end, who the hell really cares if the show gets edited somewhat? It's friggin' Pokemon. It's a no-holds-barred 20-minute commercial for video and card games aimed at 8-year-olds. The only reason why it holds any value at all to me, and the only reason I can think of why it would do so to anyone over 12 or so, is pure nostalgia, and that only goes so far as the original list of 151 and anything before the Orange Islands. Seriously, there's nothing at all artistically redeeming about the show; so what if they relabel a few rice balls as "donuts"? Give me the original cast and the original dub any day of the week...it's just about the only thing 4Kids ever got right.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:44 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
With the Pokémon USA voices? No thanks.

I miss Veronica Taylor. Sad

me too. Every time I hear Ash i feel he sounds like he went through a reverse puberty. And Brock sounds old. I did se the first twenty minutes of the movie, and it didn't look interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The Anagelic One

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:42 am Reply with quote
There are 400 odd episodes and 8 movies dubbed by 4Kids. Surly thats enough to satisfy any fan of the 4Kids Dub, right?
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:43 am Reply with quote
Ari-chan wrote:

That wouldn't happen be it with 4kids or PUSA. They never have and probably never will keep the origional Japanese OPs. Why give Hikari special treatment? Both PUSA and 4Kids are fairly similar in thier treatment of name changing. They will sometimes keep original names, and sometimes change the names into an English equivalent. For Hikari, I consider Dawn to be pretty close to her original name's meaning (light) without sounding ridiculus.

I know that,however it would please the hardcore fans,or at least use them for the movies.

Also i mean all of the new characters from D&P,not just Hikari only.

And sure i like everyone here liked the 4kids versions,probably cause of it's VA but those hacking of the original script and others is what made me mad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:16 pm Reply with quote
The Anagelic One wrote:

To be frank, the VAs were a small sacrifice. In return, we ve gotten much less edits, more new music plus a lot more music from the Japanese original (Some episodes even keep the whole Japanese music intact with no changes) and moments of silence (I.E No music), they correct mistakes they make (Like the Ekans/Arbok thing in the Mystery Dungeon special) and just as I mentioned, they re using 4Kids VAs for the minor characters (Like hell they re going to recast the main cast again). Heck, you could say PUSA actually listen to us. o.o

Believe me, you would have none of that if 4Kids were still dubbing it, I guarantee.

You mention how you'd never get this in the 4Kids dub. Yet you mention Dinosaur King, a 4Kids dub that uses original BGM at times, and keeps sound cues in correct order. Whoops!
The Anagelic One

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
The Anagelic One wrote:

To be frank, the VAs were a small sacrifice. In return, we ve gotten much less edits, more new music plus a lot more music from the Japanese original (Some episodes even keep the whole Japanese music intact with no changes) and moments of silence (I.E No music), they correct mistakes they make (Like the Ekans/Arbok thing in the Mystery Dungeon special) and just as I mentioned, they re using 4Kids VAs for the minor characters (Like hell they re going to recast the main cast again). Heck, you could say PUSA actually listen to us. o.o

Believe me, you would have none of that if 4Kids were still dubbing it, I guarantee.

You mention how you'd never get this in the 4Kids dub. Yet you mention Dinosaur King, a 4Kids dub that uses original BGM at times, and keeps sound cues in correct order. Whoops!
Is that so?

Well, too little too late 4Kids.
Ari-chan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:11 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
I know that,however it would please the hardcore fans,or at least use them for the movies.

Except that would confuse the non-hardcore fans and younger fans who are unaware of the Japanese names. Pokemon's main demographic is children, so they are going to keep things as simple for them as possible. Besides, most really hardcore Pokemon fans who like the Japanese dub over the English dub usually can find the episodes in Japanese on the interenet anyway, and there are sites that explain the differences between the two, so there really shouldn't be any concern with that.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:31 am Reply with quote
Ari-chan wrote:

Except that would confuse the non-hardcore fans and younger fans who are unaware of the Japanese names. Pokemon's main demographic is children, so they are going to keep things as simple for them as possible. Besides, most really hardcore Pokemon fans who like the Japanese dub over the English dub usually can find the episodes in Japanese on the interenet anyway, and there are sites that explain the differences between the two, so there really shouldn't be any concern with that.

Which is the problem cause those japaneese versions are illegal fansubs and the sites aren't authorizied which hurts them in a way.

At least these versions kept some of the script intact.

Hopefully one day they will have one,and hopefully they even might do the english dub what Viz media did to naruto.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2