• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Adds Yu-Gi-Oh! R, Boys over Flowers Epilogue

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bluebeard

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... Beast Master intrigues me slightly, but I can't tell exactly how Shojo it is. However since the main male character sounds a lot like, well... me, I think I'll have to give it a shot. Plus what seems like the promise of cute animals is an added bonus. I'm a sucker for the beauty and the beast thing despite how absurd I've found the concept to be in real life Confused
Katsu Koneko

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:39 pm Reply with quote
:O OMG YGO R! I am definitely reading that. Even if I'm like not really obsessed with YGO like I was a few years ago.

Very Happy NATSUME! OMG! YAY~
ringoiero360

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Natsume's Book of Friends (Natsume Yūjin-Chō)

VIZ, YOU HAVE JUST MADE MY DAY.
Sadly, it's coming out in 2010 so now I won't be able to get any of my friends to read it. xD
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:28 pm Reply with quote
YES! to Natsume Yuujinchou, that is a very nice and unexpected surprise. Smile
slickwataris

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm excited for more Inio Asano and Taiyo Matsumoto.

shas wrote:
Not Simple has me interested from the cover art alone

agreed!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Umai_Mouri

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:48 pm Reply with quote
What a wonderful world! AND Natsume Yuujin-Chou?!

I love you VIZ. SO. MUCH. Anime cry
EdoRocksMySocks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Oh yay, a Gentlemen's Alliance Cross artbook. <333 I can't wait. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:37 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what shocks me more...that Yu-Gi-Oh is still being milked, or that people are excited about another installment.

Not that I'm...questioning anyone's taste...OK, maybe I am...oh God, this hole's been done dug deep...
Xagor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:41 pm Reply with quote
YGO R is actually fairly old. It's pre GX, in terms of when it was started if I remember correctly? (Someone fell free to correct me on this if I'm wrong)

It just took a long time to get here. I think people are pleased because it's more stuff from the original series which is more or less ignored nowadays. Also it's better than GX.

Edit: Looked it up GX actually started sooner. But as it stands R will be over 4 years old by the time we get it.
lys

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Bluebeard wrote:
Hmm... Beast Master intrigues me slightly, but I can't tell exactly how Shojo it is. However since the main male character sounds a lot like, well... me, I think I'll have to give it a shot. Plus what seems like the promise of cute animals is an added bonus. I'm a sucker for the beauty and the beast thing despite how absurd I've found the concept to be in real life :?

I'm excited for Beast Master :D Motomi Kyousuke's style of shoujo manga is a pretty fun blend of slightly-crazy characters, absurd situations, and an awesome visual sense of humour. As a connoisseur(?) of shoujo, I love it, but I think those who don't normally read shoujo manga will also enjoy it. It's not really "typical" shoujo (as Motomi-sensei has frequently lamented in side/bonus pages). I hope it does well, as I would love to see Viz (or anyone else! but with current trends, Viz is probably the only likely candidate...) pick up more series by this mangaka!!!
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:53 pm Reply with quote
This makes me realize, Kazuki Takahashi has done nothing in the almost five years since Yu-Gi-Oh! ended, hasn't he?

Haha, and he probably doesn't have to, either, with all the royalties he's surely getting from the continuing anime and card game and such.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Sweet to see the epilogue to Boys Over Flowers being published. ^^ I love that series (although sadly I've only been able to read what I can via friends and the library), and more is always better!
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
This makes me realize, Kazuki Takahashi has done nothing in the almost five years since Yu-Gi-Oh! ended, hasn't he?

Haha, and he probably doesn't have to, either, with all the royalties he's surely getting from the continuing anime and card game and such.

Hey, I wouldn't care how preposterous an anime where the fate of the world rode on the outcome of a children's card game was if I was making an assload of money from it. Like how Toriyama can be happy he didn't have to lift a finger to do any work on DBE and he'll get royalties up the wazoo for it.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Natsume Ono's artwork has had me intrigued for quite a while, so I'm glad to see one of her manga licensed. And more Taiyo Matsumoto and Inio Asano (hopefully another 2-in-1 volume) is awesome.

Overall, none of the licenses from any company really made me super excited, but this has been my favorite out of all the cons I've been to. I met Daniel Dae Kim, Bryan Lee O'Malley (my favorite part of the day), and I went to the Scott Pilgrim and Fringe panels. It was productive. My usual con experience is wandering around looking at random things, so this one was awesomer than any other.
D Dubbs

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
I have a friend who likes the series, so I am not bashing it, only commenting. As expected though, he also told me 4kids butchered the anime as well. Got to love 4kids, almost anything they license is almost instantly ruined.

Uh...there is no Yu-Gi-Oh! R anime.

I'm looking forward to reading it. It's not surprising that Viz got it though, considering how well the GX manga is selling.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3