• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Project A-ko

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaizen-dono

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:01 pm Reply with quote
bj_waters wrote:
I still think C-Ko should be dropped off a cliff. A high one.

I couldn't decide if she was more annoying in Japanese or english.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:10 pm Reply with quote
RedTail wrote:
To those who are complaining... A-Ko is well over 20 years old now and stands practically no chance of ever being re-released in the states. IMO, that's buried enough...

Have to agree here. Besides, I would have thought that people would have learned from last time what the response to their complaints would be. This falls under the category of "If you don't like it, then don't read it."
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I think it's great a title like this could be covered. I honestly don't get where all the "Meh it doesn't count as buried" comes from. I was really hoping something like this or maybe Blue Seed would be covered for the very reason Justin put it: It's fondly remembered as a first for a lot of people.

I mean granted, there are some old, forgotten titles out there, some you can easily find. But there are also newer titles that only a small group of people have seen, so I think it's awesome that newer Anime fans might get a spark of interest. I say that anything obscure that wasn't bought and doesn't get a whole lot of attention from fans these days counts as a buried treasure. Just my opinion. Sorry, mods.

Anyway, yeah Project A-ko, I fondly remember the first one as well. Although I think the first anime with full frontal nudity I watched was "The Amnesia Wind", I definitely remember watching the VHS version of Project A-ko where they had a quick making of feature after the film where they showed a version of Ako waking up with less clothing, and that really shocked me. I vaguely remembering watching the other parts, but really don't know much about it. As I recall, I think in Street Fighter Alpha 3, Sakura and Karin had an intro where Karin would jump out of a helicopter as a nod to Project A-ko.
magicalgirlj

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:49 pm Reply with quote
now this is an anime I have wanted to see for a long time. but my money is currently tied up
EveryNameTaken

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:56 pm Reply with quote
It seems to me that Project A-ko is one of those old school anime where the time and place of when someone watches it is just as important to the viewing experiance as watching Project A-ko itself. I had tracked down a copy of the OVA after reading reviews on The Anime Review and Anime Jump, and while I enjoyed it, I can't see why anyone would want to rewatch it for anything other the occasional brilliant animation that Justin praised in his review. I wonder if I would have liked Project A-ko, and other old school "classics," if I also had to endure dark, stuffy rooms with other unwashed fans to watch it, or track down information on what was being parodied on USENET, or if I had begged my parents to rent a copy of it while hiding the large "CONTAINS NUDITY" sticker. Instead, all I did was rent a copy of the DVD at a local shop in Little Rock. That's it. I even got to watch it subbed. I know, I'm so spoiled.

Project A-ko may be buried, but I doubt it's a treasure. Beyond the occasionally great animation and the helter-skelter comedy, I can't see what would make this a classic. (Incidentally, I think it's worth noting that most of the posts before me, and half of Justin's review, didn't talk about the anime so much as they talked about how they found it.) A more accurate way to put it might it's a classic for American fandom, because taken on its own merits, it's forgettable.

By the by, reading the review did make me want to rewatch it, but only because Justin mentioned there is a cheesy British dub. Bad American dubs annoy me to no end, but I love watching a bad dub in a cockney British accent. Personality quirk or proof of insanity? You decide.
pparker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:19 pm Reply with quote
EveryNameTaken wrote:
It seems to me that Project A-ko is one of those old school anime where the time and place of when someone watches it is just as important to the viewing experiance as watching Project A-ko itself. ...Project A-ko may be buried, but I doubt it's a treasure.

Well, as a relatively new fan, a couple of years, but obsessive years and lots of shows, I keep this on the top shelf so to speak. It's certainly in my top 20, sitting right there with FLCL and Abenobashi (at least the space episode).

I'd have to watch it again to detail precisely why, but I do recall the comedically escalating action felt near-perfect, and I in no way understood all the references. I did realize it was parody, but I would appreciate it much more now even. There was actually an old-style American cartoon feel somehow but with all the style and irreverence and cultural viewpoint of the Japanese, especially a young group of creatives in the early OVA environment without the restrictions of TV. In fact, modern anime has lost a lot of that spark. I watch nearly everything for at least a couple of episodes, and rarely see anything as good as Project A-Ko.

Everyone has their likes, but I can say that time and place do not figure into my appreciation of the show.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
RedTail wrote:
To those who are complaining... A-Ko is well over 20 years old now and stands practically no chance of ever being re-released in the states. IMO, that's buried enough...

Have to agree here. Besides, I would have thought that people would have learned from last time what the response to their complaints would be. This falls under the category of "If you don't like it, then don't read it."

I agree, i had barely heard of this before the article, let alone had a desire to see it until now.
sunflowerseed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I also got the ' Japanese Anime Bug ' because of the Project A-Ko VHS tape we got. I think it was from a store we got it and it was cheap (maybe k-mart? no memory). The VHS tape I got was made by ' U.S. Manga Corp. ' so it was done in 1992.

It was crazy really really crazy so it got my attention. I always bought my anime from like rightstuf wasn't until about 2005 when I started seeing this ' Saya ' girl on forums and threads not related to anime that I realized that anime was on the web (lots of people used Saya from Blood+ as their forum picture and signature in online mmo game forums.)

edit added

The original Japanese version was 1986 according to my VHS cover with the tape.
roxybudgy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Been tempted to watch this, as soon as I have enough money to waste on DVDs. Suprised that it's out of print in the US, it's still widely available in Australia.

I usually see the DVDs on the shelf at JB Hi Fi, also avaiable from Madman's website http://www.madman.com.au/actions/catalogue.do?releaseId=5153&method=view&webChannelId=1.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:45 pm Reply with quote
EveryNameTaken wrote:
It seems to me that Project A-ko is one of those old school anime where the time and place of when someone watches it is just as important to the viewing experiance as watching Project A-ko itself.
Project A-ko may be buried, but I doubt it's a treasure.
A more accurate way to put it might it's a classic for American fandom, because taken on its own merits, it's forgettable.

Project A-Ko IS a treasure for exactly the reason you note. I think Project A-Ko is a special anime that fits perfectly with Otaku no video. It is a window to another time and something that people from that time will "get" perfectly, but today's fan, probably not so much. That's not to say ZERO modern fans will enjoy either one, there are people who will enjoy them, but the bulk of today's fans would just dismiss them. Project A-Ko (and Otaku no Video, not mentioned in the column) are treasures are "classics" for three important reasons:
-They speak directly to anime fans (they were obviously written FOR anime fans considering the content)
-They were part of the small handful of titles put out in their time (today, half (or more) of anime shows are licensed, back then it was a fraction of that) and thus they gained a DEVOTED following
-They're just "fun", they don't leave you feeling that the time you spent watching them was a complete waste/disaster (unlike the buried garbage)

Project A-Ko is a special movie, it wasn't my first anime, but it led to my first "merchandise" purchase (the soundtrack).
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I saw this during an anime marathon with friends in the late 90s. I think my original memories would have been better if we hadn't preceded it with Ninja Scroll...Sad But watching it recently (I think one of the AnimeOnDemand channels had it) was more enjoyable, if slightly mind numbing. LOL

Aw, good ol' Sci-Fi Saturdays. Now I need to dig up E.Y.E.S of Mars, Tenchi in Love, and Urusei Yatsura 2!
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:09 am Reply with quote
EveryNameTaken, I can honestly dispute you because I've frequently used Project A-ko as a gateway anime for new fans as they've entered the group my friend and I maintain.

It never fails to elicit smiles, laughs, and even the occasional cheer from a group of fans - new or veteran - because it's just plain fun to watch. No, it's not deep. In fact it's pretty much nonsensical, but that's what works for so much that really keeps people going in our hobby.

Think of Excel Saga, of Azumanga Daioh, of Cromartie High School or Nerima Daikon Brothers or Dokuro-chan. They're not particularly complex, but they're funny and fun and the good times you have getting into a group with a bunch of friends, caffeine, and pre-packaged snack treats and watching them together will stick with you long after you've forgotten why you marathoned Evangelion for the fiftieth time to try and figure exactly what the penguin means according to Dadaism.
CrazyDreamer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:53 am Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
[. . .] long after you've forgotten why you marathoned Evangelion for the fiftieth time to try and figure exactly what the penguin means according to Dadaism.

The point of Dada is that the penguin has no meaning.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:21 am Reply with quote
CrazyDreamer wrote:
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
[. . .] long after you've forgotten why you marathoned Evangelion for the fiftieth time to try and figure exactly what the penguin means according to Dadaism.

The Gospel according to Dada, 1; 11-13. " And the screen brought forth a penguin, and a voice from above was heard to say over the tannoy, " Why not? Penguins are cute. Yes?"
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:43 pm Reply with quote
CrazyDreamer wrote:
Craeyst Raygal wrote:

Penguins are the only things with any meaning.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5