• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Live-action Crying Freeman heading to U.S. theaters

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Note: I've e-mailed the following twice to ANN staff already. http://www.jaggedteam.com/bin/shownews.cgi?id=3974 says that Universal's subsidiary, Focus Features will be distributing the live-action Crying Freeman-starring Mark Dacascos-to U.S. theaters this August.
Cassandra

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:27 pm Reply with quote
*SQUEAL*
Mark Dacascos is such a hottie. He needs more screen time.

/fangirl mode
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
frostedsaiyan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad that more anime is going to theaters. I wish more anime would be played in theaters though. Then more people could be exposed to it and take a liking to it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone seen this? Is it any good?
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:13 am Reply with quote
JETBLACK87 wrote:
Has anyone seen this? Is it any good?

Well over a year ago, i purchased the "import" from this videostore outlet and it's pretty decent.
the plot is somewhat simular to the anime series and it's in english so one would wonder why it hasn't made it's way here stateside. Mark (Descascos) does a fine performance as freeman, and not to mention his fight scenes were cool.

I would also reccomend renting or purchasing Brotherhood of the Wolf. Another descascos vehicle and a classic at that.
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:41 am Reply with quote
the_soultaker wrote:
I would also reccomend renting or purchasing Brotherhood of the Wolf. Another descascos vehicle and a classic at that.

Yeah, I rented that a while ago. I don't think I ever finished it though.
albion

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:15 am Reply with quote
I couldn't believe this! - 'Crying Freeman' has been available on video & DVD in the U.K for several years. Why it's never surfaced in the U.S is something of a mystery.

The plot is similar to the manga/anime, but of course the violence and sex have been toned down. The film is an enjoyable straightforward western action picture with eastern touches which reminded me of the original 'Punisher' movie.

I must agree with the comments about Mark Dacascos - he should be a major action performer, but what chance does he have of pulling a big role against a well known 'star' like Tom Cruise and an army of CGI technicians?
mahoro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:32 am Reply with quote
albion wrote:

I must agree with the comments about Mark Dacascos - he should be a major action performer, but what chance does he have of pulling a big role against a well known 'star' like Tom Cruise and an army of CGI technicians?

None. That is why he has been restricted to small roles in lesser known films. Even though he was a lead in Cradle to the Grave, the film itself was mediocre. CF live action has been around for years, this is old news. Before this there were TWO versions done in HK as well back in the early 90s. The US market is so slow picking up on trends and popular manga, anime, toys and technology. Crying or Very sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1