• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Death Note live-action - unsatisfactory? (SPOILER)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FurianKu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:50 pm Reply with quote
I have just finished watching the Live action Version of deathnote (my goodness does it not follow the true story) Anyways and at the end, It showed how the others that were still alive were doing a year later, and Then showed ryuk laughing, Okay, Anyways, My question is this...

Is Light now a deathgod, Sure Ryuk Said that there is Nothing when one uses the deathnote (when they die) However, deathgods are extreamly good liars... So perhaps he didn't want to tell the others around him (Referring to live action version) that he'd become a deathgod.

In all versions Ryuk says that Light is a very interesting person, and thus i think that maybe he wanted light to become a deathgod... I don't know, i just feel like it wasn't good enough for light to just die, and poof that was it...

also, what happens to misa (now in the anime version) after that, all we know is that she's walking amongst the streets, I'm unsure, but didn't she still have a deathnote?

[EDIT: Made your thread title a bit more comprehensible. -TK]
blonkler-sama

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:22 pm Reply with quote
FurianKu wrote:
I have just finished watching the Live action Version of deathnote (my goodness does it not follow the true story) Anyways and at the end, It showed how the others that were still alive were doing a year later, and Then showed ryuk laughing, Okay, Anyways, My question is this...

Is Light now a deathgod, Sure Ryuk Said that there is Nothing when one uses the deathnote (when they die) However, deathgods are extreamly good liars... So perhaps he didn't want to tell the others around him (Referring to live action version) that he'd become a deathgod.

In all versions Ryuk says that Light is a very interesting person, and thus i think that maybe he wanted light to become a deathgod... I don't know, i just feel like it wasn't good enough for light to just die, and poof that was it...

also, what happens to misa (now in the anime version) after that, all we know is that she's walking amongst the streets, I'm unsure, but didn't she still have a deathnote?

[EDIT: Made your thread title a bit more comprehensible. -TK]

Well, I don't know for sure what the deal with the live-action spinoff is but it is actually said by ryuk in the manga that spoiler[there is not heaven nor hell and all humans goes to "nothingness", and I think it's some kind of realm without time or space]

As for Misa Misa, she jumps from a building from sorrow and kills herself
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Agoston

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:44 pm Reply with quote
blonkler-sama wrote:
As for Misa Misa, she jumps from a building from sorrow and kills herself
Ok I've just gotta get this cleared up. When does this happen? I haven't seen the live-action movies yet but I've read the manga and just the last episode of the anime (to see the differences in the ending, and if Misa kills herself or not). I don't recall this happening, but my friends keep telling me it happens. Does this happen in only the live-action movies, or both those and the anime?
EricDent

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:54 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[ In the manga, they have an epilogue (unlike the anime) and it shows Misa as the leader of a cult of Kira worshipers. In the anime, it shows her (after Light is killed) standing on a bridge, looking like she was going to jump (crying). In all 3 versions, she lost her memory of everything that happened when the Death Note was destroyed.]

There are some fan Manga that shows Light in the Shinigami Realm (after he dies) planning (with Ryuk) to take over and make the Shinigami Realm "Perfect".
sailorspazz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:32 am Reply with quote
EricDent wrote:
spoiler[ In the manga, they have an epilogue (unlike the anime) and it shows Misa as the leader of a cult of Kira worshipers. ]

The creator of the manga has stated that it isn't Misa, just a random Kira worshipper. It was mentioned in the manga supplement "How to Read" that spoiler[Misa committed suicide one year after Light's death.] In the anime, spoiler[though it's never shown or stated that she kills herself, sad Misa standing on the edge of a tall building kinda implies that she was going to jump.] It's never really shown what happens to live action Misa.

As for Light becoming a death god, though that is a popular fan theory, the canon of the series clearly states that all humans go to nothingness when they die. Not some go to heaven, some go to hell, and some become shinigami; they ALL end up in the same state. The live action movie tweaks that a bit by specifying that all Death Note users go to nothingness, though.
FurianKu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:34 am Reply with quote
EricDent wrote:

There are some fan Manga that shows Light in the Shinigami Realm (after he dies) planning (with Ryuk) to take over and make the Shinigami Realm "Perfect".

now that is what i was looking for, some info on what happened after, I thought he'd be there.. Of course that would be From A fan's version of it, So i apparently think like others in this world, It's CRAZY!!!
blonkler-sama

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:30 am Reply with quote
I think that it's pretty obvious(in the anime at least) that Misa jumps from a building even though none of the texts or persons says it because
1:she's standing all alone on a building
2:she's crying
3:Light whom was her only reason to live just died and she must be torn apart inside herself Crying or Very sad I feel sorry for her, she deserve a better fate!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Agoston

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Ah, okay, thanks for the explanation everyone. Yeah, the last frame of the manga spoiler[ (the random Kira worshipper girl's face) left me really confused, I first thought it was Misa, but it looked nothing like her, it's pretty weird how they decided to end such a dramatic series with the face of a character introduced five pages ago.. ]
Ishmoo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Agoston wrote:
Ah, okay, thanks for the explanation everyone. Yeah, the last frame of the manga spoiler[ (the random Kira worshipper girl's face) left me really confused, I first thought it was Misa, but it looked nothing like her, it's pretty weird how they decided to end such a dramatic series with the face of a character introduced five pages ago.. ]

I was really thrown by that too. What do you think the point of using her in that scene was? My assumption was that it was to show spoiler[the endurance of Light's influence continuing long after his death and to indicate that our world is still ripe for that type of tyranical leader, but it was kind of unclear.]

Speaking of being dissapointed...

I was tremendously unimpressed by Tatsuya Fujiwara’s “Light.” The Light of the manga is suave, brilliant under pressure, and deceptively handsome. This is integral to the story. It's this dichotomy between his outwardly upstanding appearance and his true nature that allows him to manipulate people so effortlessly and makes him such a compelling character. To the contrary, Fujiwara came across as sullen, unbalanced, and frankly pretty creepy looking. He so instantly suspicious looking that it comes as no surprise when he’s eventually singled out as the main suspect by L. The movie also robs the story of its primary dramatic element as well, Light’s implied internal struggle. The story is told from Light’s perspective, a literary trick to force the reader to identify with a particular character. Initially, with the manga, the reader isn't quite sure how far Light is willing to go, how much of himself he has lost to the appeal of ultimate power. We know he’s being corrupted, but how far has it gone? We are encouraged to relate to him despite his deeds because his motivation, while twisted, is still to bring justice to the world. Is he totally evil or just horribly misguided? In the beginning the reader is torn between the sympathy we feel for Light’s intentions and our revulsion at the methods he employs. For who among us hasn’t become frustrated by the state of the world and wished for some way to right it? And I think that’s the hook of the original story. What would YOU do if you found the death note? How far would YOU go? Having Light spoiler[kill Shiori Akino in the movie, not only an innocent but one so close to him,] robs his character of any ambiguity. He is now portrayed as evil, black and white with no shades of gray. That dumbs it down to just another story about a good guy trying to catch a bad guy. There’s no psychological tension any more. It's unfortunate the filmmakers felt the need to tamper with the one aspect to this story that made it so different from the hordes of others out there, that it allowed the audience to work through these issues and didn’t insult our intelligence by slapping us upside the head with totally rote characters. I'll stick with the manga.
Hypertreb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:54 pm Reply with quote
I didn't like the first one, but I saw "the last name" in theaters and that was cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1