• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Strike Witches - best show of the season.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
einhorn303

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:38 pm Reply with quote
What do we get right after the OP plays and the show starts proper? [expletive] panty shots with detailed vaginal lips, missiles and machine guns being fired off, airplane engine sounds with doppler effect, cute girls, and shit blowing up. All played to the tune of a military march. It's the perfect visceral combination of military fetishism and moe fetishism.

Give the viewer what they want, fudge yeah. That's how awesome cartoons are made.

Also, I can't wait till vol 2 of the trading figure series comes out. I hope they have Lynette Bishop and the American one (Charlotte Yaeger, I think), they're my favorite character designs so far.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Gracious. Sorry to say, but Strike Witches has officially been removed from the "maybe list." It's a good thing, too, because I really don't want to watch much other than what's going on in the Book Club.

Love the character designs and all, but from the sounds of it, the show really isn't for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:06 am Reply with quote
Only saw the first 5 or so minutes of it. Nice fanservice. If you want to do fanservice anime, make it f**king blatant and in your face like this. Don't give me that "almost a pantyshot" crap. So many anime do that and I hate it. Also, I've noticed while I hate this type of anime I also seem to like it. Despite thinking Kanokon was a horrible mess, I still watched it for the fanservice for whatever reason, knowing it was bad. I'll probably do the same for this, knowing it is crap (if it is, haven't actually watched the whole episode).
cool3865

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:55 am Reply with quote
huh, didn't see this thread before:

so episode one came out and i belive this is also the first "mecha girl" anime. unfortuantly only people that love mech anime will like this. set a couple of years past 1939 it tells the tell of spoiler[ Neuroi (an allien force apparently) came to earth or an unknown reason so far. the scientest were able to create (with the help of magic) a pair of boots that have a magical propeller that allows the girls (witches) to fly and defeat the Neuroi.]

at only 13 episodes i dont see this one doing to well with the general anime crowed or the more hardcore anime crowed.

forgot to say that if they want to use their magical powers they somehow and for unknown reason grow wolf ears and tail.
gibbage

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:01 am Reply with quote
I was hoping for something better, but all I got out of it was a REALLY bad cliche anime. I mean PLEASE!!! Come on! HOW many anime's are they going to make that the only hope for humanity lies in 14 year old Japanese girls who somehow instinctively know how to operate mech's or other complex technology? Im just REALLY tired of the over-used BS that Japan is our only hope for survival. Come on, the Akagi had to be the only carrier available in a multi-national combat squad?

P.S. The Akagi is a historic Japanese Carrier sunk in the battle of Midway in 1942. Im sure THIS one will save the planet. Dont even get me started on the Battleship Yamato. The most over-glorified ship of WWII. Spent almost the entire war in harbor and had VERY little combat till it was sunk in 1945.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:04 pm Reply with quote
I almost admire the shear ballsiness of this series. I mean it's just so completely over the top ridiculous that it makes To Love Ru seem like a Christian Home Video presentation. I don't see any particular reason to watch this one over an actual good anime, or an actual good hentai, but kudos. Kudos.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:57 am Reply with quote
cool3865 wrote:
so episode one came out and i belive this is also the first "mecha girl" anime.

It's basically Sky Girls with more fanservice and kemonomimi.

Quote:
only people that love mech anime will like this.

I think not. There's a very specific audience for this type of anime and the group starts with an "l" and ends in an "n".

Quote:
forgot to say that if they want to use their magical powers they somehow and for unknown reason grow wolf ears and tail.

I think they're supposed to be dogs. Also some of the get nekomimi and tails instead.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:54 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
cool3865 wrote:
so episode one came out and i belive this is also the first "mecha girl" anime.

It's basically Sky Girls with more fanservice and kemonomimi.

Which works for me. The plot is silly at best, but this is clearly not a show you watch for the compelling story or character development.

It looks like it will be an entertaining series (though I'm not sure it's $3 per non-physical media episode good) but I wouldn't call it the best new series of the season. Or at least I hope its not... that would make for a disappointing season. However, Strike Witches is already quite an improvement over last season for fanservicey shows. Yes, Kanokon had a lot of fanservice but I couldn't stand the main characters. As for To-Love-Ru.... the less said about that waste of time, the better.
undeadben

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:21 pm Reply with quote
It's a really different kind of service than my fanservice show of the summer, Ikki Tousen, but it has a similarity. While in Ikki Tousen it looks like there are no young women's apparel that are in any way rugged, in the alternate history of Strike Witches it seems there is a severe shortage in young girl's dresses, skirts, pants and shorts. It really is a shame. Poor girls Sad

However back when I watched the Strike Witches OAV I thought that the show might be interesting if it actually had a plot or some form of story, so I'll watch a few episodes to see if it does.

First episode sort of does set up some semblance of a plot, what with the girl spoiler[chasing after the memory of her father and boarding a military ship though she has no intention of joining the military as she seems to really be against war.] Not a strong set up, but a set up nonetheless. I mean the show isn't really about the story, we can all admit that, but maybe it'll surprise a small bit.
cool3865

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:36 pm Reply with quote
well there is a shortage for all of the girls still in school, remember spoiler[the mother and grandmother both had long skirts on]
undeadben

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:57 pm Reply with quote
cool3865 wrote:
well there is a shortage for all of the girls still in school, remember spoiler[the mother and grandmother both had long skirts on]

Well I actually said "young girl's dresses, skirts, pants and shorts." But what matters is that there is a severe shortage. And you know none of the men are gonna do anything about it. Maybe the Strike Witches should form a union and then they can have a Witch's Strike until the matter is looked at.

Edit: Sorry about the lame joke. Carry one with the series discussion.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:06 pm Reply with quote
cool3865 wrote:
huh, didn't see this thread before:

so episode one came out and i believe this is also the first "mecha girl" anime..
Not quite, Magic Knight Rayearth had girls piloting mecha, and that was back in 1994.
cool3865

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:16 pm Reply with quote
sorry i should of said Mecha Musume
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mecha_Musume
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:02 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Quote:

I think they're supposed to be dogs. Also some of the get nekomimi and tails instead.

In the original concept - which they may or may not still be following - the ears and tails that the witches get when they transform is based on what kind of familiar they have. Only cute familiars need apply. Razz Here is a promo picture for the original pilot showing the lead girl with her canine-of-some-sort familiar: note the similarity of the ears.

This girl seems to have feline features (as do many others based on the artwork).

And here's a bunny girl.

I have to say that I was a bit surprised by the high pantsu level in the episode. The original pilot short did have fanservice, but it was rather low-key compared to what they seem to be doing with the series.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:10 pm Reply with quote
cool3865 wrote:
sorry i should of said Mecha Musume
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mecha_Musume

This particular Moe Mecha fetish has been around for a long time.I found some back in 2002,when I would run through thousands of Japanese Illustrations on several BBS's,and I have come across these WW2 Moe fighters a few times(I'm sure you all have too.)From the illustrations to the garage kits,and then the beautifiully done PVC's,The author has certainly gotten his fetish off the ground.When I first saw the OVA I didn't think nothing of it,"just another obscure title by the wayside"really.But damn,here we are with the first episode out and 12 to go.Japan must be desperately reaching for new ideas to go with this one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6