• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
After Nanoha, there's...

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boomerang Flash

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:42 am Reply with quote
My-Hime?

After seeing the two series mentioned together in the new "shoujo" thread, I got the impression that My-Hime and Nanoha are similar in nature. My-Hime seems to be highly praised for the quality of its action scenes and certain directions in which it took the plot, but an important thing I'm missing is that I got no impression of the nature of the action scenes.

As perverse as it sounds, I have to admit, it's fun to see little girls fighting each other. However, part of this may be because most of the fighting in Nanoha is done with "beam guns," "deflector shields," "homing missles," and "options." There's little to no direct physical contact with the bodies. Although the characters are not immune from open wounds, they are not inflicted by direct body contact. I find that this ameliorates the effect of the violence and makes the product quite different from a series that does use direct body contact, or even cold weaponry, for that matter.

So then, how is the action scenes--I assume there are fighting scenes--done in My-Hime? Are their powers manifested mostly as projectiles and energy based weaponry, or are they more used as power boosts for a better punch? Or is it something else entirely?

By the way, in case you're wondering why I didn't include My-Otome, it's partly because of the ruling on recommendations and partly because Arika has got to be the most hideous female lead who is neither meant to be ugly nor appears in a series that's meant to be a gritty approximation of reality.

Last edited by Boomerang Flash on Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:27 am Reply with quote
If you've seen s-CRY-ed, (also by Sunrise) then you'll have a good idea of the overall look of the weapon materialization and action in My-Hime. There is some direct physical contact fighting, but most of the fights in My-Hime are proxy battles using "Children," summoned monsters that take on characteristics of animals, vehicles, or both. There's plenty of "chargin mah lazer" moments and other magical/energy attacks. I'd recommend not writing off My-Otome just yet; most who've seen it agree that it's just as good if not better than Hime, despite a slow start in the first 5-6 episodes or so.

And that Nanoha series does seem interesting -- from your description, it sounds like Magical Girls + Gradius Very Happy
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:06 am Reply with quote
Pretty much what Zalis said about the type of fights. If you like action, you'll like them both, they both have plenty of that. Personally, I prefer My-HiME/Otome. It's a bit more drama heavy than the Nanoha series, and also has some romance. Which is more to my liking and tastes. The series are both quite a bit different in a lot of ways though, so I wouldn't necessarily say if you like one you'll like the other.

Boomerang Flash wrote:

After seeing the two series mentioned together in the new "shoujo" thread

That's a Eureka 7 dub thread.
Boomerang Flash

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:58 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
If you've seen s-CRY-ed, (also by Sunrise) then you'll have a good idea of the overall look of the weapon materialization and action in My-Hime. There is some direct physical contact fighting, but most of the fights in My-Hime are proxy battles using "Children," summoned monsters that take on characteristics of animals, vehicles, or both.

Unfortunately, I've seen some of s-CRY-ed, and it seemed that the objects they materialize with their powers can either be a puppet or an appendage or attachment, as in the case of the main character. While they are sometimes detached from the user, it seems that the user manipulates them as a marionette in that case. I tend to think of summoned monsters as independently moving entities that are closer to Pokemon than what's in s-CRY-ed. Is that just our different interpretation of the word, or are they more like Pokemon?

PantsGoblin wrote:
Boomerang Flash wrote:

After seeing the two series mentioned together in the new "shoujo" thread

That's a Eureka 7 dub thread.

Oh, that would be because I had a false impression of how the URL generated by the previous topic function worked. It should be fixed now (in the first post).

Zalis116 wrote:
And that Nanoha series does seem interesting -- from your description, it sounds like Magical Girls + Gradius Very Happy

Excellent. Another potential victim of Nanoha. If you click on the new "shoujo" link now, you'll see that HitokiriShadow compares it to super robots. I'm not sure I'd agree with that, since I have this impression of super robots being hulking behemoth like the Big O or Voltron, and the characters in Nanoha moves in a fast and agile manner. The closest comparison I'd make in terms of the action sequences would be Zone of the Enders: the 2nd Runner, which, incidentally, is also by Konami and contains a Gradius style minigame, although from the 3rd person forward perspective like Star Fox.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen s-CRY-ed, so I don't know what the powers where like in that show. But in My-HiME the HiME each have both a Child (the creature companion) they can summon and a weapon that they can materialize for direct combat. For example, Natsuki has twin guns that she uses herself and Duran, dog-like creature with beam cannons on its back. There are actually a few HiME that don't have personal weapons for direct combat but most do and they all have a Child.

Short version, they have the materialization powers like s-CRY-ed apparently has as well as their summoned companions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1