• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Special A - ?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkraven2000

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen any threads on special A. (did a search).
Anyway, its my favorite ongoing anime of this season. What do you guys think about it? I think its well drawn, funny, and interesting.

Quote:

Plot: From wikipedia
"Hikari Hanazono has always been second to Kei Takishima. When they were six years old, their pro-wrestling loving fathers introduced them to each other. Assuming that she was the best in wrestling, young Hikari challenged Kei to a wrestling match only to be thoroughly defeated by him.

Ever since that fateful incident, Hikari swore to beat Kei in school grades, a sporting event - anything. To do this, she has enrolled in the same school as Kei since elementary. Now she attends Hakusenkan, an ultra elite school, that costs her carpenter father a lot of money. Hikari and Kei are the top two students in the school, with Kei holding firmly to that number one position. While Hikari considers Kei to be a rival and important friend, she is completely unaware that Kei loves her.

The story primarily focuses on Hikari and her constant attempts to defeat her one and only rival, Kei, and how she finds love in their rivalry."
omnistry

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 12:31 am Reply with quote
Who else out there wants a Tadashi puppet Anime smile?!

I went into this show with mixed feelings, and just really loved it. I just hope spoiler[the Hikari/Kei love tension ]doesn't wear out its welcome.
Mylene

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 8:12 am Reply with quote
I'll admit, Special A is purely a guilty pleasure series. It's pretty much nothing but fluff, but at least aside from the tag-team episode, it doesn't leave me feeling queasy, unlike the other major shoujo romance this season (Itazura na Kiss). You can tell it's trying to pull on the feel and perhaps the popularity of shows like Ouran, and it's not really succeeding in the comparison. However, it is fun. It's lighthearted, has an overall feel-good atmosphere, and generally doesn't have me mourning for the futures of young girls in Japan. Rather than having a weak lead who accepts abuse from the guy she "loves," we get a strong though silly lead in Hikari who is smart, fun, athletic, earnest, but a bit naive.

I can't sit through more than one episode in a given day or so, but when I do watch it, I roll my eyes and have a bit of fun. I've watched through episode 4 or 5, whichever one introduced Kei's brother. That was a sweet episode. A little sappy, but that's okay, that's the name of the game in Special A, and I think I can appreciate it specifically for that.
darkraven2000

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 8:01 pm Reply with quote
i agree in that it has the romance aspect in it, but i wouldn't say that is the main theme of the movie - unlike itazura na kiss. Its funny as well, and interesting - especially all the contests.
My personal favorite scene is spoiler[when hikaru and kei have the jumping contest Very Happy]

PS: mylene aren't there any other romance animes this season apart from special A and itazura na kiss? Couldn't really find any.
Mylene

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:39 pm Reply with quote
darkraven2000 wrote:
PS: Mylene aren't there any other romance animes this season apart from special A and itazura na kiss? Couldn't really find any.

Girl-targeted? Not that I know of. There's a bit of romance in Allison & Lillia, but it's pretty understated in the main scheme of things. Kind of like in Special A, actually.

I call Special A a romance because you can pretty clearly tell that's the way it's going to go, particularly given Kei's clear affection for Hikari (I think that becomes obvious in the very first episode with the way he watches her.) However, I like that the romance is very clearly from the guy's side of thing, and it's not feeling too pushy (except for episode 2.) It's just sort of in the mix with their 'rivalry' and friendship. It's quite a nice balance.

Last edited by Mylene on Tue May 27, 2008 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:11 am Reply with quote
I watched a few episodes of Special A, but found myself bored with it. It just seemed too much like it was trying to be a new Ouran, except not as good. There were a few parts I did like (mainly the fact that it was the male character that had the unspoken crush instead of the female one), but it just didn't seem to have enough character depth in it (something which Itazura na Kiss does have, even if main character there is a bit of a twit a lot of the time).
darkraven2000

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:55 am Reply with quote
ehh.. Strangely, your comments are similar to what I've heard from my friends and my brother as well. But i still like it more than itazura na kiss. The contests keep it interesting (even if i know the outcome), and its funny (IMO). It is sort of similar to ouran ONLY because the place where they hang out (classroom?) is similar. Apart from that, i think its different.[/spoiler]
darkraven2000

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:55 am Reply with quote
double post
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:11 am Reply with quote
I'm not saying the storywise it is similar to Ouran, because the basic premise is different enough. I just find that the type of feel and humor that Special A is going for is very much like Ouran, except Ouran does it better.
darkraven2000

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:57 pm Reply with quote
meh whatever. Personally at the moment special A is my favorite anime of the season - might change after i watch some more anime.
animebrainyanic

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:03 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
I'm not saying the storywise it is similar to Ouran, because the basic premise is different enough. I just find that the type of feel and humor that Special A is going for is very much like Ouran, except Ouran does it better.

I also thought that Kei has the same seikaku as of Tamaki, I think this was a shoujo thing because there are scenes when getting romantic, the background turns to white and character animation begin to drew lines, more like Kare Kano.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:44 am Reply with quote
animebrainyanic wrote:
I also thought that Kei has the same seikaku as of Tamaki

No, they do not (assuming you meant seiyuu, not seikaku, since the later is not a term I recognize, while the former is Japanese for voice actor). Tamaki's seiyuu was Mamoru Miyano (who was also Light in Death Note and currently is Zero in Vampire Knight). Kei's voice is done by Jun Fukuyama, who also did/does the voice of Lelouch in Code Geass and Watanuki in xxxHolic.
animebrainyanic

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:05 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
animebrainyanic wrote:
I also thought that Kei has the same seikaku as of Tamaki

No, they do not (assuming you meant seiyuu, not seikaku, since the later is not a term I recognize, while the former is Japanese for voice actor).

Actually, before when Special A hasn't aired yet on its first episode, when I did saw some pics of it, first comes to mind that looking on both Kei and Tamaki has the same personality because they have the similarities, but it's not, I wasn't thinking about the seiyuu.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
JaredDSMan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Special A is a pretty funny series. It does oddly remind me of Ouran Host Club but that was after the first episode. I can clearly see differences now. haha. Laughing
Thanos1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:54 am Reply with quote
I'm really digging this show so far. I love the light-hearted tone. The two leads remind me of a cross between Arima/Miyazawa (Kare Kano) and Otani/Koizumi (lovely complex).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2