• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Stories of Girls Who Couldn't Be Magicians

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nipasu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2024 5:06 pm Reply with quote
This show has my favorite art style this season (and possibly the whole year).

Hopefully it'll get a dub eventually!
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2024 1:24 am Reply with quote
One thing I appreciate about this show is that it doesn't take the predictable route of Kurumi using her magic powers to save the day in the first episode and proving everyone wrong instantly but it's taking the time to show her learning alongside her classmates and she still hasn't successfully cast a spell yet.

Quote:
Although this is a magic school story (not a magical girl story, because Kurumi doesn't transform; yes, I will die on this semantic hill), it also seems interested in exploring artificial class differences.
I would disagree with this as there's a lot of classic shows that are considered magical girls but don't have transformations especially in the witchy genre.
FishLion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2024 9:31 am Reply with quote
This one is touching and gorgeous, I'm excited to see how things play out!
Daerian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2024 1:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm very happy you are covering the series and will certainly read your thoughts on it!

However, I find your statement about transformation very interesting and wanted to ask: one of the first series in magical girl genre (both in manga and anime form) Sally the Witch (Mahoutsukai Sally) has heroine that doesn't transform. She performs her magic without transformation, in opposition to other series from that time like Himitsu no Akko-chan (which both were licensed for TV in my country from Italian dub and I watched them growing up in the 90ties, but that's beside the point Anime hyper). So when one of the oldest series in the genre and probably one of the two most influential ones until Sailor Moon doesn't include transformation... is transformation really necessary to call series "magical girl" one?

The much more well known today Cardcaptor Sakura also does not transform really, bu changes clothes into ones prepared by her friend.

Personally I like to divide magical girl genre into two main subgenres, the "magical daily life" like Mahoutsukai Sally, Himitsu no Akko-chan, Sugar Sugar Rune, Cardcaptor Sakura, Someday's Dreamers, Little Witch Academia and many, many more, and second "battle" ones, like Sailor Moon, Nanoha, Precure or Madoka, but don't think transformation is necessary for first one (and probably wouldn't be necessary for second).

Could I ask you about your thoughts on topic?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1