• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online II

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
benzone

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2024 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
My other hope for the season is the furthering of Karen and Elsa's relationship outside of the game. I'd like to see them team up to deal with real-life and in-game challenges.

So you WANT a college student with lifetime self-esteem and socialization issues - Karen - to become closer to Elsa, a professional singer involved in a dom/sub relationship with her manager, who wants to include Karen in said relationship (though not as an equal but as a subordinate to her and possibly even to Goshi) and who mere weeks ago (story wise) was just barely cajoled into differentiating between the online game and reality and oh yeah from murdering her boyfriend and then killing herself over the results of said online game? What "real life challenges" would such a person be able to help Karen with, even if Karen didn't have issues of her own to deal with?
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2024 7:48 pm Reply with quote
It's nice to have the show back and doing what it does best by having a fun cast headlined by Lucky Girl LLENN getting into firefights and trying to kill each other and enjoying every minute of it (well, LLENN needs proper motivation to enjoy it).

Also I never knew I needed the sass duo of Pito and Fuka until we finally had them on the same team together.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2024 12:02 am Reply with quote
Ep1 it seemed to me that the character personalities had shifted from S1 and Ep3 here it is more evident and I begin to wonder if Mr.Sigsawa really was the writer for this episode. The most glaring reason is Clarence and Shirley's (stupid) running fire-fight.

At the distance shown, a pistol wouldn't have been accurate at all, Clarence had been attacking individuals at close range and had known Shirley was a sniper so she should have immediately ducked for cover when she saw Shirley rather than running out in the open. And Shirley being a sniper attacks from long range under cover so she would have ducked for cover when she saw Clarence with a rifle.

And beyond that, when Shirley's rifle seems damaged and Clarence's pistol is temporarily "out", Shirley opts to charge with a knife (!) making getting hit easier with each step. A "gun nerd" would have considered these behaviors unrealistic and we saw nothing like it except in the GGO arc of SAO (not written by Mr. Sigsawa).
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2024 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Clarence vs Shirley is one of my favorite fights in the series, and so brutal I was worried the anime version would wind up feeling toothless, but they really nailed it. Early contender for best episode this season.
Riku157

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2024 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Clarence stepped up again, and that's all that matters.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2024 4:25 pm Reply with quote
This was peak GGO. Two intense and fierce women trying to kill each other and getting up close and personal (with slight yuri undertones).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1