• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Voice Actors Form Group Against Unauthorized Use of Generative AI

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Farhanawesome

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2024 5:58 am Reply with quote
Wow, its kinda perfect timing, especially since the SAG AFTRA AI STRIKE still ongoing and looks like the Japanese side is finally joining forces with the English side to fight a common threat.
WiiWiiWasHere

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2024 8:57 am Reply with quote
Finally. This was long overdue.

Get 'em guys!
Multi-Facets

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2024 9:08 am Reply with quote
Gam-freakin'-batte, everyone! Let's hope this gets a ton of support.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2024 9:47 am Reply with quote
Not surprised that they would object to having their work monetized without consent. This is the only way to make tech companies listen, a united voice from the talent they hope to exploit.
yeehaw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2024 10:01 am Reply with quote
Good
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2024 11:32 am Reply with quote
It'll be interesting (and probably a bit scary) to see how this evolves. It's definitely better for each individual VA to own the rights to reproductions of their voice via AI (rather than treating them as part of an unowned commons, or a company owning them), but I wonder if that reducing the cost of producing 'performances' with their voice will mean "superstar" VAs will come to more dramatically dominate the field? Tech magnifying the reach a single person can have like this seems to go hand-in-hand with having fields like e.g. sports or movie actors/actresses where 99% of eyeballs are focused on the top <0.00...01% of the field.
Smongo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2024 11:47 am Reply with quote
Along with all workers and unions around the world from every industry, I’m very proud of them. There’s also the problem for VAs like James Earl Jones (RIP Legend) who did give permission for Disney to use his voice/recordings long after he’s gone. This would be the loophole in the future for studios/companies to use to not hire new VAs and how vague the terms are for VAs who do give permission to use their voice/recordings like not pay them royalties and other terms.

We’re also close to full autonomous robots walking among us taking regular jobs that we need Universal Basic Income with other problems we are facing/will face. I hope we get rid our current form of Capitalism and move on to a better economic model for all in future too.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2024 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Farhanawesome wrote:
Wow, its kinda perfect timing, especially since the SAG AFTRA AI STRIKE still ongoing and looks like the Japanese side is finally joining forces with the English side to fight a common threat.

I think it is going to take something of a united front, even if people aren't specifically affiliated with a union or each other. Companies are pushing AI hard, and will take advantage of any markets that are more receptive or complacent about it. It is very telling to me that agreements could be reached on basically everything SAG wanted, except for the use of AI.

NeverConvex wrote:
It'll be interesting (and probably a bit scary) to see how this evolves. It's definitely better for each individual VA to own the rights to reproductions of their voice via AI, but I wonder if that reducing the cost of producing 'performances' with their voice will mean "superstar" VAs will come to more dramatically dominate the field? Tech magnifying the reach a single person can have like this seems to go hand-in-hand with having fields like e.g. sports or movie actors/actresses where 99% of eyeballs are focused on the top <0.00...01% of the field.

It's a good question. Not too long ago, Troy Baker was promoting how he planned to work with a company to make that type of thing, and how it was good because the actors got a percentage from it and smaller projects could have more budget-friendly voice over. He changed his tune pretty quickly when other actors pointed out that it may work that way for somebody who is a big name and still gets acting roles normally, but that newbie might not get his big break if he is in competition with off-the-shelf Troy Baker.
XSp

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2024 12:09 pm Reply with quote
I hope the more strict Japanese privacy laws are enough to protect voice actors, if not this needs to be turned into law.
It's very sad to see the same exploitive tactics of Big Tech spreading around to other countries like that. I've been seeing more and more of this filth getting adopted by Japanese businesses and upstarts recently, and I really don't like this trend.
This is not the kinda thing VAs, which are already underpaid and overworked, need to be worried about.

I'm going to personally boycott any and every single work that comes out using AI for anything. Any and every single company that exploits the works of others via AI. VAs needs our support, and deserves out respect.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2024 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Not surprised this is happening, but I just want whatever works out best for voice actors.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1