• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: CODA Works With Brazil to Shut Down 16 Anime Piracy Sites; ACE Works with Vietnam to Shut Down

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KrisPNatz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2024 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Funny to see so many pirate sites mentioned in an article on a site that often is doing the most to show it has an anti-piracy stance. I get that many of the sites mentioned have been "shut down" but as mentioned, in the modern age of piracy the idea of most piracy sites being shut down for good and talking about them after the fact not being an issue of promotion has actually become the opposite. Years ago when a piracy site went down it was DOWN and mentioning the dead site was because it was gone-gone but nowadays every and I mean EVERY pirate site has at least a dozen clones with slightly different domain names (even K***anime is still around in some capacity) so mentioning the main or original domain getting shut down is still promotion, a lot of these sites are not going to die even if the original domain gets shut down. Just pointing this out, not condemning or criticizing the inclusion in the article at all, my own stance on piracy is Don't Ask, Don't Tell~ as I'm not for or against it, it's just interesting how things have changed and despite the best efforts of official organizations to shut down piracy sites, the problem has adapted to make a lot of their efforts obsolete.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2024 6:31 pm Reply with quote
While I think ANN is strictly anti-piracy as a business, I do believe most individuals within have at least some understanding of the complexities of the history, legality, utility of piracy in the anime community overall and thus have a more nuanced take than is the official stance. They're more concerned about reporting the important news, anyway, as is their job.

That said, none of the sites in question particularly sound like they're the kind of websites willing to play by unspoken rules or stay out of the spotlight. The only one I've seen around is nhentai, and if they're not abiding at minimum takedown notices, especially if they reside in the US, I can see how that could escalate into a lawsuit. They're lucky they even got takedown notices before this escalated. Regardless of your stance on piracy, to ignore those is to play with fire. Not very smart.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1