• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lunar Remastered Collection Announced for PS5, PS4 Next Spring

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2024 8:32 pm Reply with quote
You don't understand how happy this made me.

Apparently John Truitt is interested in reprising Ghaleon but we don't know yet if it'll happen. I'm honestly fine with the voice actors being replaced except for Ghaleon.

Very weird they kept the lyrics the same as the PSX version but changed the singer.
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2024 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Oh, cool! I played a tiny bit of one and it seemed fun, I need to get back to it.
I do recall hearing the translation was somewhat questionable? I wonder, since it seems they're planning on an EN release, will they retranslate...
BrazillianCara

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2024 8:42 pm Reply with quote
It might be worth pointing out that it's also coming for the Switch and Xbox. I don't know about PC, though.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2024 8:47 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
Oh, cool! I played a tiny bit of one and it seemed fun, I need to get back to it.
I do recall hearing the translation was somewhat questionable? I wonder, since it seems they're planning on an EN release, will they retranslate...

The dialog and song dub lyrics shown in the trailer are identical to the PSX version. But I can't imagine every last line being the same since Working Designs added some very dated references (though nowhere near as bad as the Sega CD versions) and some... off color lines that probably wouldn't fly today.
FeelMyBlade

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2024 8:51 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:

The Sega CD version was the very infamous version with lines about Bill Clinton and M&Ms. The PS1 version cleaned it up a bit and the PSP version was the best the game has ever been. But I guess they're not including the PSP version which I think is the best sadly but if they're using the PS1 song lyrics then that means the PSP translation is probably out.

The real question will be how censored it is. I'm half expecting the bromides to all be removed given the state of modern remasters.
redvelvetdoll

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2024 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Really interested, never played these before but the anime cutscenes look incredible. Hoping it has a physical release here or at LEAST let there be a japanese version with english on the disc I can get on playasia.
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2024 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Greatest announcement I've ever read!!!!!!!!!!!!!! About time Lunar 2 got a newer release

Still have all the versions of these two games including the Sega CD Versions which i still go back and replay Smile
YackDe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2024 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Honestly the most exciting part of this news is that we're actually getting Eternal Blue and not just yet another version of Silver Star. Now maybe gather some people to make a new game so that the series's legacy doesn't end on one of the worst RPGs ever made.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2024 10:21 pm Reply with quote
This looks and sounds great! Is that Max Mittleman I hear?
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2024 11:08 pm Reply with quote
YackDe wrote:
Now maybe gather some people to make a new game so that the series's legacy doesn't end on one of the worst RPGs ever made.

Dragon Song was pretty bad...Sad worst part i thought was the soundtrack, Both Lunar 1 and 2 pretty much made me fall in love with Video game OSTs in general. Luna's boat song had a huge impact on 9 year old me and now almost 30 years later its still one of my favorite songs..more so with the PS1 lyrics Razz
psh_fun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2024 11:29 pm Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:
The dialog and song dub lyrics shown in the trailer are identical to the PSX version. But I can't imagine every last line being the same since Working Designs added some very dated references (though nowhere near as bad as the Sega CD versions) and some... off color lines that probably wouldn't fly today.

Getting away from Working Designs translation would be great but I fear they may overcorrect and remove stuff that was present even in the original version.
Cho_Desu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2024 12:31 am Reply with quote
The two first Lunar entries seem to be the sort of games where everyone who plays them really loves them a whole lot. Is there anything in particular that really stands out about them, or are they just a couple solid JRPGs of their time?
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2024 12:52 am Reply with quote
I see that I'm adding a new game to my list! The original Lunar game was the entire reason why I originally bought the Sega CD!
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2024 3:13 am Reply with quote
Cho_Desu wrote:
The two first Lunar entries seem to be the sort of games where everyone who plays them really loves them a whole lot. Is there anything in particular that really stands out about them, or are they just a couple solid JRPGs of their time?

It's just pure RPG comfort food in the vein of Dragon Quest. It's a pretty standard hero's journey, but done very well. Also an entire movie's worth of traditionally animated cutscenes, which I think is the series biggest draw.

There's definitely much more prestigious stuff in the genre in terms of story and gameplay but Lunar is just so damn charming. And I have yet to see a game with as many anime cutscenes to this day.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2024 3:36 am Reply with quote
The anime cut scenes look like Yoshiyuki Sadamoto character designs?

ETA: no, Wikipedia tells me the designs are by Toshiyuki Kubooki, but perhaps the confusion is natural, as Kubooki was an animation director for Nadia.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2