• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best Anime of Summer 2024

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2024 9:36 am Reply with quote
I didn't watch the new Monogatari even though I ironically watched Soremachi after learning it had the same stuff and the original creator of Heavenly Delusion. I mean I like Monogatari but certain parts of the female characters handling sure make it awkward. Ararargi not being present seems innovative but I was actually looking forward to a story set in college with adult characters as I read in the premises. Like, I always found it awkward that Oshino disappeared even though he was the master of expositions like Doraemon or Yuko from xxxHolic.

I watched Nier Automata and really enjoyed it more than season 1 due to the tragedy factor Yoko Taro. I also enjoyed Oshi no Ko for finally developing Aqua's character as I found him too stoic in season 1 when compared to Akane or Ruby who were far more active but the anime has yet to end. I enjoyed watching Alya but sometimes I wondered if it was better as a romcom or as a more selfaware comedy as the two siblings were almost Gintama characters considering how they analyzed situations. Nokotan was fun for all the wrong reasons...
Saeryen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2024 10:02 am Reply with quote
Wonderful Pretty Cure! and Himitsu no AiPri continue to be amazing.

As for series that have finished as of today, Narenare: Cheer for You! was wonderful. Very heartfelt, and it had that shoujo feel of exploring each character’s feelings and fostering empathy in the viewer.

Last edited by Saeryen on Mon Sep 23, 2024 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2024 10:05 am Reply with quote
This was admittedly a weird summer for me as far as viewing because I spent a lot of it watching older stuff, Nokotan, and Kinnikuman. Kinnikuman fits the pro wrestling motif rather perfectly, it's not high art like Oshi no Ko, but damn if it ain't fun to see Choujin wrestling on my Netflix every week.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2024 10:10 am Reply with quote
Glad to see Makeine made a top pick by multiple staff. I liked the concept up front, but was still surprised and impressed by how great both the writing and (especially) animation turned out to be. It's my #2 for the season, behind only the return of Oshi no Ko (which is still doing so much incredible stuff that I'm surprised it only got one mention). If I had to rank a #3, it would probably be Vtuber Legend, which was the most purely entertaining show of the season for me.

As for other titles mentioned commonly, I gave up on Mayonaka Punch after only two episodes and am surprised it turned out to be that good. Not surprised at all to see multiple mentions of YATAGARASU or DeDeDe; thought what little I watched of both was good (I only got through a couple of episodes of each), but neither fully clicked for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2024 10:17 am Reply with quote
Gotta be honest in that I am grateful for mentions such as Elusive Samurai, The Café Terrace and The Magical Girl and the Evil Lieutenant to keep things a bit varied/interesting. I get that some shows resonate with most of the staff but without those three it would have been a very samey/predictable list and that is a bit of a shame since those surprising mentions make for an interesting read.

Anyway, a few shows I want to mention:

Tower of God Season 2: this one managed to erase my hype from an interesting first season completely.

NieR:Automata Ver1.1a (Cour 2): depression in anime form that is both hard to watch yet not something you want to miss a single second of.

Makeine: Too Many Losing Heroines!: had me hooked with every episode and I really want there to be a season 2 announcement this week to see more adventures with those goofballs.

Days with My Stepsister: was a very subdued and slow show. The great use of music and imagery plus a grounded story makes for a very chill watch.

The Ossan Newbie Adventurer: started off okay, became worse to then get better with every episode. I grew to like it a lot more than I expected at first.

The Magical Girl and the Evil Lieutenant: a magical show with great presentation and characters that are lovely (besides a certain cat).

Quality Assurance in Another World: not a looker but the unpredictable plot and setting keep you guessing what the truth of the situation is.

Pseudo Harem: a complete romance that is sweet from beginning to end and has a believable build-up.
tomdean

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2024 10:22 am Reply with quote
What? No mention of Roshidere? Easily the most memed and talked about show of the season? They are everywhere....

Love Makeine and Anna but they were simply outclasswed by Yuki in my opinion
MemoBookworm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2024 10:28 am Reply with quote
Looking back this was a really strong season. My favouites were DeDeDe, YATAGARASU, Monogatari, Oshi no Ko and Kimi ni Todoke. Shout out also to Makeine, Elusive Samurai Wonderful Precure, Spice and Wolf and a bunch more. Basically a ton of really good shows.
Glordit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2024 10:38 am Reply with quote
tomdean wrote:
What? No mention of Roshidere? Easily the most memed and talked about show of the season? They are everywhere....

Love Makeine and Anna but they were simply outclasswed by Yuki in my opinion

Roshidere became a bore for me, when it started to be about the student elections and less about Alya's flirting.

---

Not surprised to see YATAGARASU & DDDD leading, both of them deserve the praise.

There was a lot of shows I enjoyed in the summer:
Shikanoko Nokonoko Koshitantan
Kono Sekai wa Fukanzen Sugiru
Tensui no Sakuna-hime
Nige Jouzu no Wakagimi
Shinmai Ossan Bouken-sha
Gimai Seikatsu
Koi wa Futago de Warikirenai
Make Heroine ga Oosugiru!
Tsue to Tsurugi no Wistoria
Oshi no Ko S2
Spice & Wolf (2024)
Sengoku Youko: Senma Konton-hen
VTuber nanda ga Haishin Kiri Wasuretara Densetsu ni Natteta
Kimi ni Todoke S3
Kengan Ashura Season 2 Part 2
Ramen Aka Neko
Mayonaka Punch
Boku no Tsuma wa Kanjou ga Nai
Shoushimin Series
Terminator 0

There's more but I don't want to list everything, plus there's a few which I am on the fence about at the moment.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2024 11:12 am Reply with quote
Three votes apiece for Mayonaka Punch and Makeine, four for DDDDhowever you abbreviate it, and… seven for Yatagarasu.

Fine, fine, I'll watch Yatagarasu when I have a CR subscription again. Lord knows I'm a big enough Apothecary Diaries fan. And I'll add the other three to my CR watchlist too. Might even be subscribing next season anyway, for Re:Zero S3 and Dan Da Dan.

Judging from the latest Your Anime Rankings chart, it looks like Rebecca's "Best" pick wins the award for "most-liked show that didn't make the cut for episode reviews", with Days with my Stepsister as runner-up.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2024 11:14 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:

Fine, fine, I'll watch Yatagarasu when I have a CR subscription again. Lord knows I'm a big enough Apothecary Diaries fan.

It's more Raven of the Inner Palace than Apothecary Diaries, but still worth watching!
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2024 11:18 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
It's more Raven of the Inner Palace than Apothecary Diaries, but still worth watching!

I've got that on my watchlist too. Very Happy

What's with ravens and court intrigue, anyway? I guess they are accustomed to murder.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2024 11:27 am Reply with quote
Have they fixed Dead Dead Demon's subtitle problems yet? That's the main thing keeping me from checking it out tbh.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2024 11:34 am Reply with quote
I desperately need to know how James came up with D^8. I can't get anything but 5 or 9.

EDIT: Oh, the trouble is I can't count. The article is rescued from the precipice. Whew -- close call.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2024 11:43 am Reply with quote
Seeing Nicholas Dupree list his favorites…kind of bittersweet. Crying or Very sad
PotatoGirl

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2024 12:27 pm Reply with quote
If you enjoyed Dupree's reviews, I would ask for you to contribute to his funeral expenses. The goal has already been met but it wouldn't hurt to donate a little extra to help support his mother.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2