• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Patlabor EZY Anime Project Unveils Visual, Staff, 2026 Start

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Cool! If only we could get Oshii involved again. It's not like he's doing anything right now. But at least Itō is in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:26 pm Reply with quote
The 2016 short looked great. Stick to that look and find a story. Kazunori Ito was involved in all animated versions but the messy-as-all-hell Patlabor WXIII and also wrote GitS 1995. Seeing JC Staff instead of IG ain´t ideal but we´ll see. Good to know that the live-action reboot ain´t how the IP goes out.
Now if we could get Masami Yuuki back for another manga. Even if to see his take on the plots he didn´t adapt. His take on WXIII is actually good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nagatoka_Morito

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:17 pm Reply with quote
I say it every time a mecha revival comes along and has CG robots:

ALAS.

It'll probably still be enjoyable though.
Chiyosuke

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:39 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
The 2016 short looked great. Stick to that look and find a story. Kazunori Ito was involved in all animated versions but the messy-as-all-hell Patlabor WXIII and also wrote GitS 1995. Seeing JC Staff instead of IG ain´t ideal but we´ll see. Good to know that the live-action reboot ain´t how the IP goes out.
Now if we could get Masami Yuuki back for another manga. Even if to see his take on the plots he didn´t adapt. His take on WXIII is actually good.

The only Patlabor anime IG spearheaded was the first 2 movies & Minipato. Deen produced the OG OVA, Sunrise produced everthing else except for Wasted 13, which was a Madhouse production. I said all that just to say, the series has a rich history with quality studios behind it, not just Production I.G (a studio I absolutely love, mind you). Also, Deen and J.C. Staff are pretty much interchangeable, hell, there's been plenty of times when JC Staff will supercede Deen on a theatrical adaptation (most recently with the Konosuba movie) where Deen handled the TV version. Bigger budget, for the most part, means better production.

I just think people give undue flack when a lot of the production issues (at least back in the day) were due to budget constraints.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Given how the last few Oshii things turned out it's probably for the best he's not involved this time.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised Yasuhiro Yoshiura isn't directing this, even though his Patlabor REBOOT short was seemingly well received, but it's good to see most of Headgear reunited. I wonder if anyone from the original cast will come back.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2024 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Happy to see them doing new Patlabor!
Greboruri

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:22 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Cool! If only we could get Oshii involved again. It's not like he's doing anything right now. But at least Itō is in.

There was a reason why none of the other members of Headgear were involved with Next Generation Patlabor other than Oshii. I note that a couple years after Ezy was announced, Akemi Takada and Masami Yuuki publicly said they supported the project with Izubuchi and Ito were announced as staff of the project. There wasn't a peep from Oshii about Ezy. In addition Ito and Oshii had a well publicised falling out during the making of Avalon in 2001 and haven't worked together since that film.
casenumber00

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:45 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Given how the last few Oshii things turned out it's probably for the best he's not involved this time.

That vampire one had its problems, like Oshii seemed to be cramming all is ideas into it and trying to make it in a way for the current anime audience, but it did had some of his old school charms in it. Oshii needs some current season anime maker to reeling him in and make adjustments for his ideas.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2024 3:19 am Reply with quote
Yes, Oshii and Ito broke up a long time ago and will not work together again, as should be known by any Oshii fan.

I love Oshii but he's extremely particular and probably would not do at all what Headgear has in mind here.

Also, Oshii's recent anime were made with almost no budget and in some cases with him only writing and not directing, so I don't think this reflects badly on him, but he is in his late period where he becomes even more inscrutably insular. Not a bad thing. But again almost certainly not what Headgear wants to do right now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1