• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Failure Frame (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 5:35 pm Reply with quote

Failure Frame (TV)

Source: Light Novel (ongoing @ 11 volumes, written by Kaoru Shinozaki, illustrated by KWKM)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: Seven Arcs

Genres: action, adventure, fantasy

Themes: dark fantasy, isekai, medieval, sorcery

Plot Summary: Mimori Tōka and his classmates are abruptly catapulted into a fantasy world, summoned by the resident goddess to serve as heroes. The good news is most of the students display amazing skills upon arrival. The bad news is Mimori is the worst of the lot, bottoming out at a measly E-rank. Incensed, the goddess tosses him into a dungeon to die–but it turns out that Mimori's skills aren't so much worthless as they are abnormal.

Air Date & Platform:
July 4, 2024 (Thursday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: Pending

Last edited by Tony K. on Sun Jul 07, 2024 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 12:50 pm Reply with quote
You know, I am rather glad that I watched the first episode of this one after the premiere of I Parry Everything. I parry showed that you can have a lot of cliches, a shitty title and make it work well enough to seduce the viewer to want to see more. Failure frame on the other hand just feels creatively bankrupt with not an ounce of charm and the animation is nothing to write home about either.

Another drop for me, I am finally trained enough to just dump the dregs from the start.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 7:33 am Reply with quote
The job of an intro is to set the tone, and I almost dropped this anime in the first fifteen seconds. Five minutes later, I wished I had and gave it the red button.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 7:40 am Reply with quote
In a way I like that the first episode was so bad because it makes me appreciate the other shows more. Lots of people say low tier isekai are all the same but there is a lot of difference between a mediocre show and one like this.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2024 12:42 am Reply with quote
Ep5-It's taken a while to collect my opinions on this one but I like it for a few of reasons. First, it isn't purely a revenge story but more one of self discovery for the protag. He has been told he can't be "good" and be angry or defend himself against evil people but he has been pushed enough to find that message is BS. He still thinks he isn't "good" but his motivations and actions are and he is in the process of discovering what that really means.

Second, I appreciate the show's basic concept of fairness and how it plays out. I suspect the "goddess" may not have been the ultimate power to set up this world because we see the protag given the most basic set of low level magic skills but the game-system has a x50 multiplier between foes defeated and level, a x3 multiplier between level and abilities and an additional x11 multiplier between those and MP. In contrast, the so-called "S rank" people have a x1 multiplier between foes and level, something like x4 multiplier between level and abilities and an additional x2 multiplier from those to MP (as far as I can see). Their abilities are more powerful individually but if the "low level" person perseveres they will become far stronger in the end. I expect that is what the "goddess" is most afraid of.

Third, I also appreciate the show is setting up for some nuance in it's story because everyone not the protag isn't a raging a-hole or hanger-on to them and there is growing dissent with the "goddess's" settup. Some are finding they are more like the protag in regard to being a "good" person and they will join him when he shows up to oppose the evil in thier midst. Yes, I hope the self-centered and arrogant are shown how wrong their ideology is...
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2024 3:45 am Reply with quote
Out Protag definitely isnt a "hero" but he has a sense of fairness. Not a STRONG sense, but some sense. If you are on his side he'll help you out however he can. If you're a jerk you're gonna get squished, and he will feel zero remorse. He's a hardass, but not an a$$hole.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2024 12:24 pm Reply with quote
I don't think I'll accuse it of being a "good" show anytime soon- In terms of narrative, tone, presentation and feel it is still very much "we have Arifureta at home" which is not exactly a benchmark I'd recommend aiming for.

And yet, I'm still watching it. Still enjoying it. This sort of overly edgy wish-fulfilment strikes a chord with me, I guess. Or maybe I just appreciate an MC who is ruthless and pragmatic but doesn't devolve into excessive anger and cruelty.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2024 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Yeah---the storytelling's utterly lacking in nuance, replete with tedious stat screens; the fights are all reduced to "when can he paralyze them" with only the latest episode's fight having even the most basic of tactics in it; the antagonists are caricatures, and, aside from the goddess (who's obviously absent), they all die so quickly there's nothing to really latch onto in the story; the show's full of really repetitive, careless writing, like almost every 'bad guy' scene features some kind of suggested sexual assault; the 3D models used for most characters have a lighting halo baked into them that doesn't blend well into any of the scenes; the protagonist's melodramatic backstory is woven into the narrative and his motivations with all the grace of a sledgehammer...

And, yet, I'm still enjoying this. Laughing

The drop-off to it from the shows above it is sharp, but -- though admittedly I think this season's crop of anime is overall really weak -- I'd say it's something like my 5th most anticipated show each week? I think it is mostly that I'm a sucker for almost any kind of fantasy, and that at a high level I'm kind of interested in the world we keep getting hints of. If the protagonist could hold off on 1-shotting his enemies for a few episodes so we could get some world-and-plot dialogue out of them, I'd really enjoy it.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2024 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Went to check out the latest Ep yesterday and again today only to find nothing new? Did you howl at the loss (like I didn't)?? Well, the Olympics du Paris got us again, the next Ep is delayed to Aug22. You didn't hear it here though, but here...https://animecorner.me/failure-frame-episode-7-delayed-recap-on-august-15/

Ep7- Touka continues to struggle with whether he is "good" or not and he sees an opportunity to do some good for an arena fighter and emancipating her and a friend. Also, this show continues it's unhealthy obsession with the elf girl and "hooking her up" with Touka, and I mean that very literally... Confused Leads to unintended (?) humor as follows (slightly abridged)

Touka- Can't sleep
Elf- I've got some Elven herbs, this one relaxes you and this one makes you "excited"
(slips, pours much of the "wrong" one in) Oopsie, I slipped
Touka- No Prob...wait, did you put the "wrong" one in?
Elf- Sorry...Is there anything I can do for you Smile
Touka- Nah, I'm good.
Elf- BTW, are you resistant to temptation?
Touka- Yes, I have a revenge fixation so until I get that, I can't think of doing anything else. Sort of like a curse
Elf- Then I pledge to do anything I can to lift that curse...

Yeah, I'll bet you do... Confused
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2024 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Ep10- It's been a while and "Sir Touka" continues to put 'em down with his patented two-spell technique and we get the first look at the Class 2-C a-holes in a while so we are edging toward a fun "reunion". New this episode is poor compositing and languid Old Western mood music, because nothing says "sleepy wild-west town" like a guy with his leopard-woman and scantily clad she-elf walking through a monster-infested forest. Confused Twice in long shots the characters look like they are animated on top of a painting of the background while conversing...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1