• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Ossan Newbie Adventurer (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 4:48 pm Reply with quote

(The) Ossan Newbie Adventurer (TV)

Source: Light Novel (ongoing @ 13 volumes, by Kiraku Kishima, illustrated by Tea)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: Yumeta Company

Genres: action, adventure, fantasy

Themes: medieval

Plot Summary: Normally, people choose to become adventurers in their teens. At 30 years old, Rick Gladiator bucks the trend by leaving his job as a guild clerk to become an adventurer. He begins as a novice F-rank with the fighting strength of an S-rank. After two years of brutal training with the continent’s strongest party, Orichalcum Fist, Rick will defeat anyone who underestimates him.

Air Date & Platform:
July 1, 2024 (Monday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: Pending

Last edited by Tony K. on Mon Jul 01, 2024 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, that was a decent enough first episode I suppose. I will keep watching but I am not particularly impressed. Being 35 I want to root for the mc and the show does have some style and humor to it. On the other hand, it is filled with one cliche after the other and I hate characters who keep thinking that they are way weaker than they actually are.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I don't hate characters who are weaker than they think they are if only because I thought Suppose a Kid From the Last Dungeon Boonies Moved to a Starter Town was a fun series, and I would cheerfully welcome a season 2 of it. But I will admit that Lloyd's continued low self-esteem/delusion was taken to ridiculous heights (or depths, I guess) which could only be maintained at all because it was a comedy, and I will also admit that it wasn't why I liked the series. In fact, I liked the series a lot despite this continued conceit and would have been okay if they'd moved on by episode 3 and just had Lloyd be a naive, humble can of kickass.

But I should talk about this show. I thought it was dumb fun. I agree the creators didn't seem to make it with the mindset of fighting for top anime of the season unless this season turns out to be a lot worse than I hope, but I certainly liked it more than the Strongest Magician in the Demon Lord's Army is a Human. If the rest of this Orichalcum Company turns out to be funny and the MC's back story plays out well, this will be more than just an early appearing anime that I watch until something better comes along.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 3:24 pm Reply with quote
This week's episode taught me something in regards to the ''OP but thinking that you are weak'' spiel and me not being a fan of it. A teenager/younger person can get away with being pathetic/cowardly by thinking they are up against someone far stronger. It can even be used to comedic effect. The same can not be said for a burly 30 year old. Rick's behavior filling about half of the episode this week was just plain pathetic. He showed some spirit at the end but good god was his behavior before hard to watch.

There were some nice elements in episode two such as showcasing the members of the strongest party and that guild guy also wanting to throw around his career later in life but Rick's crying just soured me on the whole thing.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 4:11 pm Reply with quote
I agree that the cringe factor around Rick was high, and I also agree that the arrival of the S rank party was fun. I have two conflicting desires if I'm going to watch the magic third episode all the way through. (1) I want Rick toughen up and stop being so stupid, even if it's for comic value. (2) I want a flashback episode explaining how this guy wound up being tutored by a bunch of S-ranks pronto, even though that means I have to see more cringe behavior. Because it doesn't seem like a natural pairing, and that curiosity is the biggest hook the show has going for it right now.

From what I understand - a qualified statement if ever there was one - Rick went straight from being a clerk to being a punching bag for a bunch of highly eccentric powerhouses to applying for an adventurer's license. He's never been exposed to any other environment other than being a clerk or being a punching bag, and he's had his own inability to compare to these monsters drummed into his skull day after day for 3 years.

So even though he's ripped, in his head he's still that mousy clerk who looked up to adventurers and didn't have a warrior's spirit to begin with.

I'll go with that, but the proviso is that if he keeps ignoring obvious evidence that he's stronger than he thinks, I'm out.
Cryten

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 10:46 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the first episode, as I thought it struck the right balance of clueless and macho for the 80's macho intro. The MC being afraid of his party made sense. And I quite like his team and the various peoples reactions.

But then episode 2... Unless the guy gets his cowardice under control, even as a clueless powerhouse he will be really hard to enjoy. He needs to step up. Just look at I parry everything. That is how you handle a very powerful but clueless character. You make him idealistic and properly stupid. You integrate his delusions into the main story line and above all else: You make him enjoyable.

I do not get to enjoy a character whose only defining traits other then being old is cowardice and he likes to look at boobs. Protect the world from your team: Good. Being deathly afraid of stink guy for 15 minutes: Bad.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 1:55 pm Reply with quote
What a difference an episode can make. My only complaint this week was the unnecessary boob off near the start. Otherwise we had Rick stand his ground and he did so until the very end of the fight. It was a therapeutic fight in which he not only got to prove himself but also taught his opponent a lesson. Rick also seems to have learned the lesson that he is not nearly as weak as he thought, the question is whether that will stick or not since that would be quite the development.

Otherwise the episode gave us plenty of flashbacks and information into how Rick became so strong in two years and why he got that weak complex of his. Given the brutal training (and the dying) you would indeed need a dream that you want to achieve no matter what to not run away.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Yah, I was prepared to drop this show (and I'm prepared to drop The Strongest Magician in the Demon Army tomorrow too) if the episode was another cringe fest, but the MC seemed to grow up a bit, so I'll give the show some more breathing room.

The orc is interesting.
Cryten

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 4:43 pm Reply with quote
While it was able to stop the over cowardice I am afraid it didn't end up being entertaining for me. I do not think I will continue with this show.

On one final remark, I always wonder when we get extreme hazing to this level publicly by an official: Is there no one that enforces rules of conduct in these worlds? No organisation body would approve of an exam on battle tournament, beat your instructor to pass, rules.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Cryten - you're right. It was a snooze fest. They took too long with that fight, and all the conversation and different attacks didn't really do anything except repeat the same patterns and stall for time so that the episode could end in a convenient place. It's a mediocre show at best, and If it doesn't pick up when the MC rejoins the S rank party, I'm out too. But I do like the S Rank party.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Well, this week's episode did explain the whole situation of how Rick was able to join the S rank party. It also showed him always having the dream of becoming an adventurer but never daring to make that final step until he thought it was too late. In the end his life (plus those of the others) and his future were saved by the plot armor skill that refused to activate for a long time.

It was a decent episode to fill in the gaps but I have an issue with it. A large part of the first few episodes was Rick thinking that he was very weak. If he went from receptionist straight to training dummy with a s rank party I can mostly buy that premise. There is the issue of him having killed a dragon: a creature he knows is very powerful with his skill though. That little detail kind of makes the whole ''thinking he is weak'' spiel a bit of a harder sell.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Smurky - he was also acting a lot braver and less cringy as an untrained receptionist than he was as a powerhouse 3 years later, which is a little strange. I guess we're supposed to gather that he was traumatized and reduced to a quivering wreck by the training experience even as he, ummm...gained stats? Increased levels?
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2024 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Given this week's episode I think we are indeed meant to take your speculation as the reason why Rick became such a coward for a bit. The constant torture like training and endlessly dying plus being revived are probably not good for your ego or mental health.

Otherwise I liked the episode for the fact that we are getting a main quest to keep things moving and that Rick's new way of thinking is here to stay, which is something that does not happen all that often in anime.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2024 6:20 pm Reply with quote
I keep seesawing on this title. First I was going to wait until Rick joined the party. Then I resolved to drop it after last week's filler episode. Then I went ahead and watched it anyhow, and I thought it was a pretty okay episode. The intellectual, cultured orc who commits barbaric acts in the name of training is pretty funny, and Arsenal Elf, master of projectile death is good for a chuckle too. And it's a refreshing change to see the male lead in one these things make the decision to pursue the romantic interest instead of running away screaming while the romantic interest inexplicably chases him.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2024 9:19 am Reply with quote
I was definitely on the cusp of dropping this one for a while, but I think it's settled in nicely-and seems to explicitly dodge some of my pet peeves while doing so. Rick realizing he is actually strong took a bit, but the epiphany seems to be sticking (even if "how strong?" is still an open question- I think that's reasonable.) He has a romantic interest in a party member and is actually willing to pursue it. And the goons of Orichalcum Fist are entertaining rejections of convention.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3