• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Days with My Stepsister (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 5:17 pm Reply with quote

Days with My Stepsister (TV)

Source:

Demographic:

Animation Studio:

Genres:

Themes:

Plot Summary: After his father remarries, Yuuta suddenly finds himself with a new stepsister: Saki, the greatest beauty at school. Neither of them is sure how to act around the other at first, but the two gradually grow more comfortable living together. Slowly, cautiously, patiently, two strangers become more. So begins an unlikely love story.

Air Date & Platform:
July 4, 2024 (Thursday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime:
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Well, the first episode was very slow and rather subdued. It showed the new famiily situation and a bit of how the new family members tick. I was not bored yet I am kind of struggling to get a feel for where the show will go next and if it is for me or not.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Geez, for the first few days of the season the anime come in one at a time in a steady drip, drip, drip, then I stay away from the TV for a few days and somebody turns both taps all the way on.

Anyhow, I approached this anime with some trepidation. People might be skeptical, but there have been times in the past when I've watched an anime and sibling relationships were not approached with a lot of respect or attention paid to boundaries. No, seriously. I know, right?

But this anime doesn't seem to be a cringy Perverts R Us fest. It reminds me a little of Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai with its two intelligent MCs talking straight to the point. And like that show, one's a popular beauty who nonetheless seems like a pragmatic outsider, while the other is an intelligent, quietly sarcastic social...well, maybe not an outcast? But not a high school idol type for sure. The art is awesome, the music is high quality, and the writing is tight. I really, really hope this doesn't turn into some Domestic Girlfriend nightmare, but it doesn't give off that vibe. I liked it, and I'm not even questioning whether I should be deeply ashamed of myself yet.

Something that occurred to me, and not for the first time, is that it's kind of hard to track when anime start talking about formal and informal language and the English translation stays the same. Not sure how to fix that either. It's not like I want them to be talking with "Thee" and "Thou"
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 12:00 am Reply with quote
I can definitely see the "it's so real it's boring" point of view on this one. I recall My Stepmom's Daughter Is My Ex being a genuinely thoughtful show that had a nice middle ground between the Incestlol approach and the "wistfully-looking-off-into-the-distance-all-day" approach this show is taking. It may just come down to what else I'm watching on Thursday.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 5:28 am Reply with quote
I didn't think it was boring myself, but this isn't the first time I've liked an anime (though it's really too early to tell if I'm going to like this anime) where people were complaining about it being boring. Snack Basue! (sob). I got what people were saying about A Galaxy Next Door being boring a few seasons back because the writing and characters were bland as all get out, but I didn't think the characters were bland here. Quiet, maybe, but intense. The dialogue was sparing but cut through a lot of social crap and got straight to the point. Unless I'm off the mark, what we've got here is two smart, basically good people who have some hidden edges and loneliness from being raised by flaky but loving parents. They're trying to navigate through an awkward situation as best they can with their guard up and unexpectedly connecting with the opposite person more than they thought.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 11:49 am Reply with quote
Yeah, after the second episode it is very clear that you need to be able to enjoy not much actually happening and a lot of talking in order to like the show. I enjoy it so far thanks to the mood being created (the music helps a lot for this) and the conversations being interesting enough. This week it was mostly about becoming independent and Saki not wanting to rely on anyone to an unhealthy and at some point impossible degree. Seems like the theme will be that Yuuta will slowly show Saki that it is not a bad thing to rely on someone.

Otherwise Maaya feels like a wild girl just because of how outgoing and loud she is compared to the main characters, or rather, maybe I should say that they are just that quiet. One complaint I have is the amount of blank faces being used.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1