• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Out of the blue encounters with other fans...

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anthropic Prince

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:44 am Reply with quote
In public, if you were to suddenly hear someone you don't know discuss anime amongst other people (or simply notice them carrying anything anime-related), might you be willing to join in or strike a conversation with them? Or would you back away and try to casually observe them with interest?

Unless I am at an anime-organized event (a convention or a club) where it's kind of a no-brainer to hear people discuss anime, I usually try to avoid butting into a conversation with people i'm not familiar with, even among those who are into anime. If they were to talk about a show that I actually knew about, then I would probably slip in a friendly, "Yeah, ***** is an awesome show..." and maybe mention a few series-related tidbits they might know, and walk away.

Most of the time however, I'll simply react with surprise whenever I hear someone in my area mention anything remotely anime-related and try to listen in on their conversation without interferring.
Mylene

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:31 am Reply with quote
While I won't strike up a conversation (I don't know how to do that), I might throw in a comment as I pass. Such as this past Halloween when I was heading to work at the university's library and two girls walked past both wearing Kuroneko-sama hats and their faces painted up. They were giggling, etc, so as I passed I threw out a "Kuroneko-sama?" with a smile and nod. I continued forward until I heard them call out. Turned around, and they offered me candy (declined.) I have a feeling it might have made their day that someone knew what they were dressed up as.

Aside from ending up in a long conversation with the president of the school's anime club (which I didn't join as they were showing pirated versions of licensed anime) when I was simply asking where the club would be meeting (he'd left it off the chalk notices he was writing), I don't really encounter anime fans and I'm not sure I would try to actually strike up a conversation more than giving a passing comment that I too know what the heck they're talking about.
indrik

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:44 am Reply with quote
I had a gig not too long ago- I play trombone on kind of an amateur/semi-pro/semi-retired, but I'll play if somebody I like calls and asks nicely, or offers food. So I go to this gig, and I'm sitting on the back row bored as heck because the trombone parts are kind of sparse, and the clarinets can't get it. And we're playing selections from Wicked, including.. oh, what's the song. I have been changed for goooood.... I don't remember what it's called, but it's the two witches singing about how their friendship has changed them. And the bass trombonist wonders aloud what the song's really about, and the second trombonist says it's a girl-love thing. And I say, ha ha, you said shojo-ai. And the second trombonist gives me this funny look and says (I quote) NUH-UH! You're the first anime nerd I've run into in town! (I guess she just moved here last fall.) You have to imagine a bunch of thirty-ish folks on the back row of an orchestra, and one of them popping out with NUH-UH! all of a sudden.

So we got yelled at for being disruptive. Some things never change. But we had a long talk about Princess Tutu of all things.
Lonestar9

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:07 am Reply with quote
It depends on the situation, I may try to jump in if it's something I really know about, what the heck. If it's not, I'd probably listen for a while...
DarkEdgar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:50 am Reply with quote
In my country is quite a rare thing to meet with a fellow Anime fan. And it's quite possible that if you follow the newest Anime they will not have a clue of what you are talking about (Seriously, once I mentioned Lucky Star and got a "WTF is that" look). So I get pretty exited when I have a chance of talking about it. If I'm in my Japanese class, or in the local Comic Store it's easy to talk about it, but if I see somebody with a FMA shirt I wouldn't make a fuss about it, as it's to be expected. Now, if I found someone with Anime stuff in a normal situation then I'd pop up a comment, it's always nice to find someone with the same interests as you here.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:12 am Reply with quote
I don't meet too many fans outside of the internet. But I went for barbecue one day at a small restaurant downtown here, and I was wearing my Naruto shirt and it prompted a conversation with a teenager who was working there.

I thought it was pretty neat.
Jih2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:25 am Reply with quote
I don't usually go after someone who has an anime or anime-related T-shirt or article of clothing on. If I hear the discussion and two or more people are trying to think of a character's name, a series name or something like that that I recognize then I'll tell them the series name but that's about it. I usually don't make comments though, just sit back and chuckle a little bit.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:29 am Reply with quote
I've yet to accomplish this myself (as not many people are broadcasting their inner anime) at the university I go to, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't if the opportunity did present itself. However, it does depend on circumstances; how many people I'm with, they're with, what kinda mood I'm in, etc.

I've chatted up with people I just ran into before about politics because it just happened to be on TV; why not anime? As long as there's something to discuss about it of course; I can't exactly imagine myself carrying an intelligent conversation about, oh say, Lucky Star Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Kirkdawg on Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:36 am Reply with quote
Hmm I've actually discussed anime with some of my high school teachers. With my history teacher in grade 10 I was discussing the film Grave of the Fireflies and I actually lent him my copy. In grade 11 I had discussions about anime in the media with my Communications Technology teacher and I ended up trying to suggest we study the film Princess Mononoke with my Media Studies teacher.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:30 am Reply with quote
The few times I've said something to someone (other than a child under 12) about their shirt, I've gotten blank looks and "I just liked the shirt..." They had NO CLUE as to what the hell it was that they were wearing.

There was a girl that used to work at my store and she saw my manga haul from Barnes & Noble one day and she mentioned some of the titles that she liked.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:04 pm Reply with quote
There's a LARGE group of otaku centered directly in Bowling Green, KY. Seriously. I think every anime fan in Kentucky migrates to Bowling Green eventually. WKU, the university, houses all the big otaku.

There are many fans at my high school, but with few exceptions, they just like what's currently on Cartoon Network and whatnot, and run around squealing and waving volumes of Hana-Kimi and Chibi Vampire. So, since it's so common, I don't typically butt in talking about anime.

I talk about it with my friends all the time, but strangers is different. If it's someone older, say mid-college age, I tend to be more surprised and chat more, because they've seen titles that that aren't WHAT'S IN NOW, and I can usually carry on an intelligent conversation.

The most recent random encounter I've had was yesterday. I ran into Barnes and Noble to pick up FMA #16. There was only one copy left, so I was ecstatic.

But, my friend Ayaka recommended I pick up a Japanese dictionary for fun, because we trade languages while talking sometimes, so I ran to the Language section and practically tripped over a guy and his girlfriend who were searching for Japanese textbooks. I asked them what the best dictionary was, they helped me out, and then the guy and I started discussing FMA and whether the anime or manga was better. (We both agreed the anime was more complete in its pacing, but the manga showed promise along with a great sense of humor.)

It's just so random and commonplace in the particular town where I happen to live that I rarely think about it. Really, I'm very blessed.

Actually, later that day I had Ayaka and a random stranger IN A SPORTS BAR, mind you, recommend H2O and Higurashi no...no...(When they Cry) to me. Neither is my style, but that ought to show you how common it is.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:11 pm Reply with quote
When I was in 9th grade, I was sitting in my Latin class drawing some Shaman King fanart, and this other girl who had come into the room to ask the teacher something saw it and almost literally screamed at me because she was a huge SK fan too. It was a bit awkward, since I was supposed to be working and she quite neatly drew attention to the fact that I wasn't.

Also, a few months ago I went to our local craft shop to get some material for a cosplay, the girl who was cutting it for me asked what it was for (when you buy anything there they always ask what you're making, as if it's all for only one project - I've gotten some awesome weird looks by checking out with colored pencils, a wood dowel, two curtain tassels, and a jug of turpenoid). I said I was making a costume (didn't feel like explaining cosplay), and she said "oh, that's cool, I do some costume stuff too." As she turned around to get a sharper pair of scissors, I noticed that she was wearing a homemade Inuyasha t-shirt, so I asked if she was into cosplay. We ended up talking for so long that the other lady at the fabric counter gave me a mean look for holding the line up Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hack_benjamin22

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Working in the food service business in a relatively small town I am always surprised by the amount of people who carry around or wear anime related items.

A few days ago I saw someone wearing an Urahara hat and someone that had a messenger bag and another that had a wallet. Obviously because I'm working I can't really strike up a conversation and even if I wasn't I'm not sure that I'd want to. I've done it occasionally, but it's not the norm for me.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Most the time(In my experience)If you hear someone else talk about Anime,give it a minute.They will usually prove how much they don't know.I'm talking real knowledge,not hear say.But it's fun to hear how much they think they know.Rarely have I found anyone in Vegas to discuss Anime with.It's an age thing too.I can't go into a High school and strike up a conversation with some freshman without getting hauled away by Metro,so ANN it is. Razz
Anthropic Prince

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:46 pm Reply with quote
It's also kind of funny bumping into people in video stores who are also looking for anime. Usually I just let the assumed fan be, without mentioning anything, but even in that situation I always get the feeling that they're going to say, "Hey, what anime are you looking for?"

Thankfully aisle encounters never came to that.

hack_benjamin22 wrote:
Working in the food service business in a relatively small town I am always surprised by the amount of people who carry around or wear anime related items.

A few days ago I saw someone wearing an Urahara hat and someone that had a messenger bag and another that had a wallet. Obviously because I'm working I can't really strike up a conversation and even if I wasn't I'm not sure that I'd want to. I've done it occasionally, but it's not the norm for me.

You wouldn't believe how many people i see at my college wear those Transformers T-shirts. One can only assume someone who wears something like that must be a diehard mecha fan, or just a big fan of the show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3