• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim Film Confirms Executive Producer Peter Jackson,

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malvarez1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Can it be? I’m excited for something LotR related?

But seriously, it looks very promising.
NieR

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait to see the trailer for this LOTR animated film. So glad it'll be 2D animated. Though with Japan involved in the production, if it were CGI, it could potentially have looked like Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children or the 2013 Space Pirate Captain Harlock film.
YackDe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Immediately slotting itself into the top 10 longest anime movie runtimes, which I guess is fitting for LotR.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 8:40 pm Reply with quote
It would seem Reystov from The Far Away Paladin is making a cameo in this movie.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:31 pm Reply with quote
I like it, but it looks too clean.

I prefer fantasy to look "Dirtier".
Hopeless Weeb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Reading the character's names. . . they don't read as LotR-names. I'd imagine Tolkien is writhing in grave right about, with all the bullshit being capitalised off his works.

*names didn't read as LotR to me but apparently are Tolkien-created names, so I'm just being a complaining asshole. "Helm Hammerhand" is still a cheesy name though, regardless.

Last edited by Hopeless Weeb on Thu Jun 13, 2024 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Hopeless Weeb wrote:
Reading the character's names. . . they don't read as LotR-names, at all. I'd imagine Tolkien is writhing in grave right about, with all the bullshit being capitalised off his works.

Six of the film's characters have been made public. Five of them (Helm Hammerhand, Wulf, Éowyn, Fréaláf Hildeson, Freca), come directly from Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings novel and its appendices.
liatris

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
Hopeless Weeb wrote:
Reading the character's names. . . they don't read as LotR-names, at all. I'd imagine Tolkien is writhing in grave right about, with all the bullshit being capitalised off his works.

Six of the film's characters have been made public. Five of them (Helm Hammerhand, Wulf, Éowyn, Fréaláf Hildeson, Freca), come directly from Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings novel and its appendices.

Yes, they seem to be following the material quite closely. However, it is only 4 pages to begin with, so we have to fill in the gaps.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2024 12:07 am Reply with quote
This is probably the most I've been excited for a new LOTR thing since the original trilogy. I typically have enjoyed Kenji Kamiyama's works and this looks to have a lot of potential and I like the art style.
gpanthony

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2024 12:10 am Reply with quote
YackDe wrote:
Immediately slotting itself into the top 10 longest anime movie runtimes, which I guess is fitting for LotR.

I wonder if they'll be keeping tradition and releasing an extended cut when the home release comes out.
Avec ou Nous

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2024 3:46 am Reply with quote
Hopeless Weeb wrote:

You're acting like this is some RIngs of Power level of series that just throws all the established lore and aesthetic in the trash. This looks surprisingly decent so far. I'll choose to wait and see.
animaters

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2024 5:56 am Reply with quote
Hopeless Weeb wrote:

lmao.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2024 6:22 am Reply with quote
I thought it was going to be 3D-animated, which would've been fine, but this is looking really good so far. Japan doing their own Lord of the Rings is such an interesting mix.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2024 7:01 am Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

Would be kinda redundant when you got the sub genre of post apocalyptic fantasy.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2024 10:49 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

Would be kinda redundant when you got the sub genre of post apocalyptic fantasy.

Not that dirty, there is a sweet spot of "roughness" something can look before it looks apocalyptic and just looks "normal".

The OG trilogy got it, for example, in the scene where Théoden gets his sword you could see weathering on the handle yet nobody could say the sword was "dirty" it just looked "normal". in the poster, the sword handle its completely clean.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3