• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
work for translators

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
critnal

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:15 am Reply with quote
so.. is there much of it?

unless i'm mistaken i guess there's little need/room for outsiders like me in the translation industry over in japan, so i'm directing this question more specifically at home (i live in aus, but any english-dominant countries count).

i feel translation is something i could do well if i invested some time into it, but i could direct my attention to other areas if there's no want or need of it. it might be my own corny way of contributing to the anime community i've become so fond of.

apologies if this is off-topic or anything.
DarkEdgar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:53 am Reply with quote
Don't live over there, but if they are half as needed as over here, then you are in good luck. Japanese translators are not really that common, so while there are not a lot of bussines that need them, the few that do could always use some more.

Try Google to find Editorials, Industries and the like that would need your service.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:18 pm Reply with quote
If you want to improve your Japanese, join a fansub group. The other translators are generally very helpful in my experience, and you'll get better very quickly. That's how I started out.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I've never tried to get a job translating, but my understanding is that it's not a lack of translators, it's that none of them want to do anime. Anyone with real skills can make more money working for political interests, diplomatic bureaus, multinational businesses, the press, or language schools. And even if you want to work with literature, you'll probably get more money and respect translating full-length novels.

Which is a roundabout way of saying no, I don't know what the job market's like. But I'd assume that the anime industry is a very small and weak portion of it.
tsubasafan1993

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:10 pm Reply with quote
I doubt you would get paid for this but you might be able to find someone on mangavolume.com who needs help translating because there aare so few people who can actually translate.

I've never tried but the only thing i can really translate is a anime episode and then i can't do that very well. God Luck finding someone who needs your help and if you choose <mangavolume> thanks ill be reading your translations.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:17 pm Reply with quote
All good advice. Good luck out there!

One thing they haven't mentioned is that you need to bone up on your English strongly if you want to be a translator, which is a bilingual occupation. Your grammar in your first post there wasn't the best, for example. Be sure that your English looks as polished as your Japanese. Cool
critnal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:39 am Reply with quote
to be perfectly honest Bellos if, as you say, few people are willing to sacrifice their paycheck to translate anime/manga i see all the more reason for someone like me (with basically nothing better to do) to step in and give the industry a hand.

money isn't an issue in my eyes. i'm not rich or anything, but if i can support myself and my occasional indulgences on a translators salary i'm fairly certain i would be content.

thanks Jesu for pointing out my english. i've only been out of school 4 or so months and look at it Sad

the gist i'm getting is that work does exist, and assuming one can live off it that's some good news. thanks for the comments
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1