• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Woman Charged for Posting Ensemble Stars!! Images With Cockroaches Edited Into Them

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sakurafire_

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 11:39 pm Reply with quote
This is lame on both ends.
StarDango

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2024 2:47 am Reply with quote
While strange, what this woman did isn't the craziest thing I've seen in fandom. You should see how fans treat one another when shipping is involved. I've seen someone upload images of insects mating and tagged them with a ship they hated so all the fans would see it when they searched Twitter.

Granted, this woman did use copyright images and I get how that can become a branding and defamation issue. Even if does come off as an overreaction. I'm hoping at worse this is some kind of warning and doesn't lead to any jail time or suspension
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2024 6:36 am Reply with quote
"To be fair, it DID use copyrighted images" is insane given that almost everyone in fandom post image manips of media all the time online, for memes at the very least. Evil shit from the company.
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2024 10:14 am Reply with quote
while what she did was silly, the fact that the company could get her charged. CHARGED not just sued civilly is what makes me glad i live in a nation with fair use.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
StarDango

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2024 10:32 am Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
"To be fair, it DID use copyrighted images" is insane given that almost everyone in fandom post image manips of media all the time online, for memes at the very least. Evil shit from the company.

I know what you mean and agree. This is how insane legal and copyright laws in Japan can get. I was just pointing out that by Japan's standards, their was something to actually charge her for. Wasn't agreeing with them. The fact they can do that is crazy.
Vee-Tee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2024 11:00 am Reply with quote
imagine having a criminal record because you photoshopped cockroaches over the image of some fictional anime boys Shocked

copyright law in Japan is ridiculous
turnsie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2024 11:54 am Reply with quote
What really gets me is, based on her reasoning given, you can assume she didn't do this to be disparaging to Ensemble Stars as a whole. Some clarification like not liking how fellow fans treated the character or how the character was being treated in-universe/by Happy Elements would shed light on exactly how frivolous this may be. If it's the latter then I can kinda see where the charges are coming from, but the only information we have is on the basis of copyright. Which is crazy. That is crazy.
Rob J.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2024 4:38 pm Reply with quote
This would definitely be covered under Fair Use for parody/satire here in the US, even if it's *bad* parody/satire. It's penny-ante for the company to be going after this crank and giving her more attention by being overly protective of their IP in an especially humorless -- really, vindictive -- way.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2024 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Well, you know, America is alright after all.
Rosiero

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2024 6:28 pm Reply with quote
This is absolutely insane. The publisher should be ashamed of themselves for doing something so ridiculous.
AverageAnimeFan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2024 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Anyone got a link to an unbiased news source that cited the images involved?
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2024 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:

Unfortunately, Japan does not have fair use laws. This is why you see close to zero anime images on Wikipedia. Fan art is one thing, but copyrighted official images are very dangerous territory. (Especially since she was replying to the official Twitter with them…)
Akcoll99

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2024 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Japanese companies have apparently never heard of the Streisand Effect...
Zimmer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2024 8:55 pm Reply with quote
WTF? That's just draconian.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2024 10:39 pm Reply with quote
One day, she will find herself isekai'd to the world of Ensemble Stars! and all the otome love interests will be humanoid cockroach boys.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2