• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Reveals English Live-Action Series BET Based on Kakegurui Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dsfjr1190

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 12:19 pm Reply with quote
I'd rather see the anime continued.
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
why? the JP verison is on netflix already and it's actually good. There's a 0.00000001% chance that this is any good. The actors are all already looking too old for the characters. I'm pretty sure that girl from The Good Doctor is in her 30s considering she was playing a nurse when the show started 7 years ago.

Unfortunately, there's still a lot of data that shows that the vast majority of Americans & other primarily-English speaking countries just plain up won't watch a lot of foreign adaptations/foreign films in general, even if you dub over the voices (of course it doesn't help when a lot of that dubbing is bad (haven't seen Kakegurui but mainly I'm thinking of back when I watched Squid Game which was rough)) . Making an Americanized version with a natively American speaking cast is almost guaranteed to get more views.

Hopefully big successes like the live-action One Piece are teaching Netflix/Hollywood in general that you don't have to overly Americanize anime to make it work. Unfortunately I think even that success may have solidified many producers' & executives' views that the adaptations need to be made English-speaking first.

MarshalBanana wrote:
I saw a clip of this on YouTube, where a girl was playing Russian Roulette, on the toilet, while masturbating. I get that that scene won't be in the US or Japanese live action version, but still, did someone watch that and go "Hmm, this will make for an ideal streaming show".

Probably not that scene, but there's always a market for "horny as hell" shows on Netflix.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 1:26 pm Reply with quote
BankaiNano wrote:
Great, another franchise will be destroyed by american trying to americanize something.

I'm sure this will be a disaster like the Saint Seiya film, dragon ball one, or many others.

Two films that did anything but “Americanize” themselves for American audiences.

Dr. Wily wrote:
Hopefully big successes like the live-action One Piece are teaching Netflix/Hollywood in general that you don't have to overly Americanize anime to make it work.

How would you Americanize a product that’s has little to any of the culture of the country it was created in?

One Piece was written & drawn by a Japanese individual but that Japanese influence is mostly non existent. Outside of some themes and elements

Glordit wrote:
Netflix is hit and miss with anime to live action adaptations and mostly miss when it comes to westernized versions of it. I wish them luck but, how about making something original for a change?

They and Hollywood have done for as much as people mention it. This it’s fraught with the same risk as an adaptation.

You either make something that fans “may” like or you make something they hate/can’t give a damn about
AverageAnimeFan

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Dr. Wily wrote:
foreign adaptations/foreign films in general, even if you dub over the voices

Woah I didn't even know this was still a common practice, do people really hate subtitles that much?

Kougeru wrote:
why? the JP verison is on netflix already and it's actually good.

I didn't know this either, but now I'm going to check it out.
DCR

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Close minded western audience (or is it motsly american audience?) sure don't like t when there are only asian people on screen.

Meeanwhile the rest of the world is willing to accept thousands of series and movies featuring only american people.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 2:31 pm Reply with quote
DCR wrote:
Meeanwhile the rest of the world is willing to accept thousands of series and movies featuring only american people.

?

Sexism, racism, & anti LGBTQ beliefs not withstanding?

The west has its problems (including the same stuff above) but I do hope that people know those problems are not exclusive to this side of the world.
matt78

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Sekaro wrote:
Y'all couldn't find a better series to adapt for live action? What about Gantz? I feel like if there's any series u could make a westernized adaptation of, it's Gantz.

Black Lagoon is another. Seems like it would be really easy adapt.
Lizuka

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 5:17 pm Reply with quote
I've not seen the live action Kakegurui but it feels like trying to make it live action kind of destroys a lot of the appeal. So much of its appeal is just in how trashy its visuals look.
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 5:31 pm Reply with quote
AverageAnimeFan wrote:
Dr. Wily wrote:
foreign adaptations/foreign films in general, even if you dub over the voices

Woah I didn't even know this was still a common practice, do people really hate subtitles that much?

Kinda? I mean, I know with Netflix at least they dub a lot of their Asian live-action stuff, or at least the stuff that they give more of a push. Basically, you'll never see something hit the front page of Netflix (and I strongly suspect other streamers, Crunchyroll excluded because duh) without there being an English dub.

So for the short answer to your question: yes, people really do hate subtitles that much.
Essedess

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 6:52 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Of course, the big question is will they keep the lesbian subtext imagery Kakegurui loves to pull.

SUBTEXT? That was SUBtext?
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Lizuka wrote:
I've not seen the live action Kakegurui but it feels like trying to make it live action kind of destroys a lot of the appeal. So much of its appeal is just in how trashy its visuals look.

Live action TV can’t do trashy visuals?

Surely you jest?
Lizuka

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 8:55 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Lizuka wrote:

Live action TV can’t do trashy visuals?

Surely you jest?

I mean, sure, it can, but I feel like you'd be losing a lot of that in regards to the really exaggerated expressions and the like.
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 10:55 pm Reply with quote
This doesn't appear to be an American production, looks like it's a Canadian one, and not in the "Americans outsourcing production to Canada for tax reasons" way. The immediate giveaway was that it's shooting in Toronto and not Hollywood's favorite Vancouver/BC.

This is Canadian in the way that most of the cast is Canadian (a few appear to be British), Simon Barry is a Canadian producer, and Boat Rocker Media is a Canadian company. I'm curious if this was greenlit but the main Netflix Originals team in the US or if it's a Netflix Canada project, which, for those concerned about "Americanization," would be a whole different suite of execs, none of them in Hollywood. I guess when we find out where the school in the show is located will indicate how much they care about American tastes. My favorite Canadian TV gimmick is when they avoid saying locations at all, y'know, cause American's won't watch a show set in Ontario, so it'll be set in vaguely anywhere.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I don't have much faith in this being actually good but like I've just been watching Netflix's Sandman which is incredibly horny so I'm not sure why people in this thread think the people who run Netflix are all puritanicals or something.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I don't have much faith in this being actually good but like I've just been watching Netflix's Sandman which is incredibly horny so I'm not sure why people in this thread think the people who run Netflix are all puritanicals or something.

Simon Barry’s previous work was an adaptation of Warrior Nun Areala that bordered on in name only. It stripped out the 90s excess of the original Ben Dunn comic for a much drabber, visually duller, and ultimately unpopular product that got canned after its second season. If he does that to Areala, it seems likely he will do the same sort of thing to Kakegururi.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4