• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jellyfish Can't Swim in the Night (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 8:08 am Reply with quote
The show is back to its old super obvious "symbolic" tricks. Kano has trouble on the balance beam because she can't look ahead to where she's going. SUBTLE!!! Oi vey. With all this gayness we'd better eventually actually get some gay interaction or I'm going to suspect that it's all just some cheap yuri exploitation content.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 9:18 am Reply with quote
It started off being as subtle as a brick to the face and it stayed that way. That said, the show has tackled some interesting issues and particularly the mother still trying to be a idol was not something that I have ever seen before. It also helps that it has such a lovely presentation.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 7:16 pm Reply with quote
How is it we agree the show isn't subtle but it still feels like we're watching different shows?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
How is it we agree the show isn't subtle but it still feels like we're watching different shows?

Actually, Animegomaniac, having read your posts for a number of years now I can't say this is a particularly unique experience for me. Wink
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:
Should driver schools use such huge and potent motorbikes to teach teens?

No good full side views of the bikes, but probably Honda CB400SF Super Fours. Larger than ideal for beginner training, but 370 pounds and 30 lb-ft of torque is hardly "huge and potent" by current standards (but a common size in Japan where taxes on bikes over 400cc are onerous).

Blood- wrote:
The show is back to its old super obvious "symbolic" tricks. Kano has trouble on the balance beam because she can't look ahead to where she's going. SUBTLE!!! Oi vey....

Well, that may be why the anime chose to focus on this exercise, but it is not made up. The first thing pretty much every motorcycle instructor notes about students and give comment on in feedback is where they are looking while riding. Why? - because pretty much nothing goes right when riding if the rider is not looking in the right place. Of the numerous basic riding to advanced track and off-road riding classes I have taken all hammer home the importance of looking in the right place over and over again.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 5:19 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

Mei's appearance in this episode especially seems like a yuri joke, getting excited of being with Kano at a sleepover, even accidentally getting a love hotel for their group get away, which kind of makes it harder to believe there is anything seriously gay. But then you would have to ignore Kano calling up Mahiru with the excuse that she just really wanted to hear her voice, which is just so much of a corny romantic line.

The rest of the episode is leading to their live performance, before Kano ends up being doxxed, which with this season has felt surprisingly familiar. The goddamn drama tubers. But I guess they were able to clue into modern stuff to make the performance a livestream and fulfill Kano's vision.

We are having it brought up the drama around Kano's past, but she still hasn't even told her friends about what happened, only saying that she is sorry. Some of the comments I paused to read seemed like the kind to be expected, acting like generous to "forgive" while giving the least generous interpretation to a kid that they know none of the details of. But I think we all in the audience can expect she will probably have been a victim. And stepping into the story is Kano's mum putting in a commission to Mahiru, which feels like drama, but might lead to answers.

I guess running theory if the drama is specifically related to her mother, or another element of Kano's character that might have had violence be the easier explanation.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Sorry but I found that unsatisfying. Kano specifically wanted to perform a live show so that both she and the other girls could experience the kind of closeness to their fans you can only get in meatspace. So this whole, "it's okay, we'll do a livestream instead!" just doesn't gratify my sense of justice. The doxxer won afaic.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Works hard to fulfill her mother dreams, exposes minors smoking in the workplace, and as thanks she gets her phone invaded and a punch, it's not fair, Mero did nothing wrong.

Anyway, since the beginning I said the writing/text felt a bit strange.
Don't disagree with what happened, but the way Kano reacted and what she said, how she said felt a bit forced.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 5:13 am Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:

Works hard to fulfill her mother dreams, exposes minors smoking in the workplace, and as thanks she gets her phone invaded and a punch, it's not fair, Mero did nothing wrong.

I mean, she did film some people without permission and create a scandal that really wasn't anyone's business, with the implied intention of stealing their gig.

Yeah, Kano punching her does feel a bit extreme, with it not even being a slap but a punch. But it is pretty clear that Kano is very sensitive to the dreams of others, we see her being laughed at in school as an important moment, there seemed to be a lot of emotions mixed in.

My main take away from the episode is noticing that Kano's mother is an extremely good manipulator, where it looks like she has known exactly what to say Kano, Yoru and Mero to have them hooked on her for praise. Thinking a bit now, the fact she has gone after Yoru likely isn't just because she is good, but because she is young, the sort of situation where she could claim ownership of success through her, such as how she groomed Kano. I got the feeling she was probably keeping her daughter from her father, because she saw him as in the way of moulding her perfect idol.

It is a grounded show, but I am reminded a little of Ragyo from Kill la Kill. Which when I thought that made me think of comparing Kano to Ryuko.... Yoru would be Mako.

Also, a little off topic, I just recently started watching Helluva Boss, and with just in time for the most recent episode involving a couple, I am not the happiest with what happened in that episode, and then what happened in episode 9 of this.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 7:16 am Reply with quote
Everything we need to know about Kano's mom is she created a persona for her daughter and she only calls her by that fake name.
And that's psychotic.... explains why both daughters gave up on her.

She choose her career, her fake idol group who only got where they are by cheating over her own daughter. Wow.

Kano's situation is both better than I imagined but worse than I expected. The sense of identity she lost was a fake one forced on her by her mother. There really was a slap but the reason for it never went public as Kano's mom sided with her project over her progeny.

And Mero's awful. Why bother with talent and practice when you can blackmail your way to success?
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 9:45 am Reply with quote
Yeah, notice there's a fair bit of divisiveness with reactions to this latest episode and noticing fans taking sides on whether Kano or Mahiru are in the wrong on things. I see no point in taking sides as both characters aren't entirely wrong to do what they're doing with Mahiru seeing her involvement with Kano's mother as a major opportunity to showcase her abilities while oblivious to the toxicity in being involved with her, while Kano didn't want to share the details on her past to the members of JELEE only because she wanted to simply focus on the creative endeavors they were doing together and the time with her old idol group obviously being a rather traumatic experience for her. Trying to take a side when there's clearly more involved with the title's current situation in its story, view it as completely pointless and just makes things more divisive for fans of the series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Eilavel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 11:12 am Reply with quote
What Kano wants is to be chosen. What she feels is that Yoru is walking away from her, and her mother has looked at the Jellyfish group and also chosen... not her; I think theres an implication at the very end that if her mother had come calling, Kano would have come running (understandably if unwisely). she's trying to build her own sense of identity, but I don't get the sense its going well or that its her choice- its a path she's walking because she got dropped as no longer a useful tool.

Unfortunately, she expresses that part of why she didn't expect this to happen with Yoru is because she thought she would just never get an opportunity to do anything big.

I always expected that Kano did strike Mero. What Mero did was awful. OTOH, Mero is a teenage girl whos also dedicated her life to being an idol, and she wasn't even able to keep the lead in a going nowhere independent group thanks to nepotism. She has her own desperation and Kanos impulsive response clearly wasn't the right choice either.

The mother is awful, and I can only see her bringing in Yoru as a powerplay at Kano. I think its obvious its going to be toxic and end badly, but I can't blame Yoru for being young, naive, hopeful and unable to see that. The one at fault is Kanos mother, who clearly knows how to sweet talk young dreamers.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 4:24 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

Mei stole the episode this week, with the highlights probably being when she jump scared Mero following a camera glitch, and of course the bad singing to wake Kano up from her self hating mindset. Secondary character was Kiui, who seemed set up some sort of drama in the end from someone in particular now knowing her personas.

Also going to mention Mei's reaction to getting kissed on the cheek by Mero to placate her. Been no mystery what Mei is attracted to. And another great moment when told it looking bad to wait outside of her idol's place, and she is responded it is not her idol but her friend.

And also can't go wrong with Baba, who has taken a more influencer internet personality. Hopefully she get a stable audience. Regardless, there has been a bit of a running theme of doxxing in the episode, which looks like it may play more of a part next episode.
Eilavel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 9:57 pm Reply with quote
I think this, especially the first half, is the funniest the show has managed, some solid sharp cuts.

Kano being repulsed by her mother, as well as lingering attraction, is hopeful for having a positive ending.

Mero clearly being framed as, while obviously wrong, a pathetic and mistreated character is also clearly the right take. She at least has insight and honesty, so maybe theres even hope for her.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:31 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

Okay, I had been thinking that all of us were trying maybe a bit too hard to read into the possible transgender elements of Kiui's story, but then it had the literal bullies start actually mocking them for being "a girl that wants to be a boy" and mocking "diversity". All things conspired it doesn't quite feel like they put a label Kiui/Nox, but made sure that the villains of their story are transphobic, and I think strongly expressed that Niui/Nox does suffer from gender dysphoria.

It does look like people were correct that the persona of Nox is masculine, since the old school "friends" read it that. We also had Kiui/Nox say they tried to be the girl Kiui, and it didn't work, which all in all is actually very relatable to elements of my own experience. BTW, I am currently using gender neutral pronouns as it is kind of ambiguous, where Mahiru might have referred to them as both a girl and a boy, the subtitles definitely said boy, but was unclear if it was meant to replace at first saying girl. In my head I am currently thinking non-binary, unless there is something more clear.

At least at this point, it does seem like too much allusions to queerness that it cannot just be a case that the audience is reading too much into it. I suppose kind of coming down to how they plan to finish the series. Kano is rewriting the song to lyrics more true to her feelings, which I am kind of expecting at this point is going to turn out to be a love song to Mahiru. Or it is going to stay in plausible dianiability range.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7