• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Episodes of Anime from Crunchyroll's Spring Season Leak Online Ahead of Official Premiere

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:41 am Reply with quote
ZelosZoidberg wrote:
Sony and lack of IT security. They never learn it seems.

At least this time it wasn’t because of an international incident.
el_morris

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:52 am Reply with quote
paulchaested wrote:
It’s unlikely but I imagine CR might consider to not even bother to pre screen shows anymore since a leak this big happened.

I guess with Crunchyroll staff on-site only, it looks on both events no further CR events like an industry panel were held, so no one of the company was there to secure the material. Downsides of outsource the job, it's cheaper but it has risks, and they learned it the bad way.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:11 am Reply with quote
WatcherZer wrote:
Usually staff/journalists granted early access for series previews are given login details for a temporary account on the streaming platform with it unlocked or if the journalist already has an account they share their account name with the platform and the series are unlocked early. Sometimes theres also a restriction that the content can only be watched a couple of times before locking.

While this is true, I want to note that those screeners automatically watermark the viewer's associated email across the screen. When ANN gets advanced screeners for series, we still have to wait until the official release for screencaps.

Different platforms grant screeners in different ways. The CR screeners are not directly attached to our CR log-in credentials; it's a completely different Sony platform.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:17 am Reply with quote
With how relative cheap a Crunchyroll subscription is, I doubt many people are heavily invested in hunting low quality leaked episodes.
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:46 am Reply with quote
ZelosZoidberg wrote:
Sony and lack of IT security. They never learn it seems.

Why does the blame have to always be Sony’s fault? This can happen to any company out there! Remember we are all humans and we all can make mistakes and someone out there would love to take an advantage of it! Hell it might have been someone inside Sony that tried to steal it and post it thinking that they are on the internet and they won’t easily be caught….. there are a lot of people out there in this world that just don’t give a damn to rules… I would love to see whoever it was that caused this to get the karma they deserve.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Angel M Cazares wrote:
With how relative cheap a Crunchyroll subscription is, I doubt many people are heavily invested in hunting low quality leaked episodes.

Much like some underestimate the selfishness of others that they may peg as altruism. You underestimate the impatience and willful acceptance of others.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:30 pm Reply with quote
While it might not be the case for these shows, at times a leak giving an "unofficial" premiere can mean delaying the official premiere which understandably have many upset. Obviously, stream wise in this case.
-Matthew-

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Anyway ALL of CR series are to be subtitled by pirates later.
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:22 pm Reply with quote
-Matthew- wrote:

That is absolutely no excuse! It is illegal! And pirating is the same as stealing… you do know for most of these series it costs around $80k and up per episode depending on the series… this is just as bad as what the current article in question is talking about…
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:52 pm Reply with quote
-Matthew- wrote:

Actually, they are ripped from CR, not fansubbed. The only fansubbed episode of the current season I've watched is of Girls Band Cry which doesn't seem to have been picked by any platform. It has a few points, but I'm not that into CG-heavy stuff so I'll pass on further episodes...
Connor Dino

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Sevokevo Royuki wrote:
That is absolutely no excuse! It is illegal! And pirating is the same as stealing… you do know for most of these series it costs around $80k and up per episode depending on the series… this is just as bad as what the current article in question is talking about…

Uhh it seems like Matthew was just pointing out the reality of the situation...not subscribing a moral judgement to it.

Furthermore, as always, one could question how much your crunchyroll subscription actually gives back to the Japanese anime industry, but that is a whole other can of worms. And before you lose your mind and jump to conclusions again, yes I have a subscription. But let's just be clear-eyed about what actually happens to these episodes.
-Matthew-

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:32 am Reply with quote
Yes, I only stated this fact, nothing more.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:25 am Reply with quote
Note that this has been happening since gurren laggan times.

Iirc sometimes the hack has been just guessing the file names correctly.
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:53 am Reply with quote
Connor Dino wrote:
Uhh it seems like Matthew was just pointing out the reality of the situation...not subscribing a moral judgement to it.

Furthermore, as always, one could question how much your crunchyroll subscription actually gives back to the Japanese anime industry, but that is a whole other can of worms. And before you lose your mind and jump to conclusions again, yes I have a subscription. But let's just be clear-eyed about what actually happens to these episodes.

I was only stating that the way he posted it he saying “who care”… at the end of the day.. our money we spend with Crunchyroll does go to Sony.. I mean at the end of the day there is no way around it because Sony is the parent company… there is absolutely no telling how much these people pay for it to go to Japan.. but what it does help pay is the VAs who are going above and beyond to help simuldub these series for those like me that prefers dub over sub…. I done my fair share of pirating in the past when I was younger… now I only pirate shows that have no legal sources… that’s the only time I pirate… do I hate it? U
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2