• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Confirms Testing A.I. for Subtitling

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kgw

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:19 am Reply with quote
While I do not agree with IA "taking on" subtitling labour, specially since they meant losing human jobs, there is a kind of set answer about ANYTHING Crunchyroll does:
-Oh, that's it, I am leaving CR!
-I hate their monopoly!!
-Do you know they were PIRATES???
-Fansubs for me, baby!

I am quite sure many people that say that doesn't give a... of what the fansubs come from, if they are done by AI or blind monkey typing, all it's according to keikaku for them.*

The problem is, Japanese companies doesn't really care. For example, Shueisha's Manga Plus editor-in-chief has already said they were hoping IA translation were better to add more languages cheaply.

And, returning to CR, I'd prefer having anime series in my region and language than not (HIDIVE, hi). So I am really sorry for those people whose anime purity ideas have been hurt.

* keikaku means plan
KHasui

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:32 am Reply with quote
Just created an account solely to post this as it's annoyed me so much. I think Amazon already do this for the Cruchyroll video channel and it's terrible - I've tried watching the latest seasons of The Devil is a Part Timer and Rising of the Shield Hero and found it very off putting. The translations at best are very plain and direct without any nuance, but at worst are frequently wrong and make no sense. It very frequently gets names of things wrong as though someone's misheard what is being said.
WoodDude

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:29 am Reply with quote
KHasui wrote:
Just created an account solely to post this as it's annoyed me so much. I think Amazon already do this for the Cruchyroll video channel and it's terrible - I've tried watching the latest seasons of The Devil is a Part Timer and Rising of the Shield Hero and found it very off putting. The translations at best are very plain and direct without any nuance, but at worst are frequently wrong and make no sense. It very frequently gets names of things wrong as though someone's misheard what is being said.

Amazon does their own subtitles for everything and I think they're auto-generated, not AI.

My only (known) exposure to AI translations was Ancient Magus Bride and that seemed fine to me.
scanlines

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:07 am Reply with quote
Even if you're pro or anti AI subtitles, there needs to be someone to do quality control. Sometimes idioms and slang make no sense when it's literally translated, but despite what others say, you mostly get a 1:1 translation.
yeehaw

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:55 am Reply with quote
I just signed up for a free trial and uh, I wont renew it!
I'm sick of AI and I'm even sicker of companies trying to sneak it in, hoping we wont notice.
Well I noticed! When a character in paradox live asks if his brother "got the goods" and the subs say "got the boots" (the goods where a beetle so, not even close, which a human translator would have been able to notice with their goddamn human eyeballs)
Then followed by a nonsense line

I want to pay for my anime, because I know animators and mangaka do what they do because they love it, even if they make slave wages for grueling work, but I'm done.
The money is just gonna go to crunchyrolls dumbfuck CEO and another 10 seasons of shield hero, but this time AI-generated!
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:06 am Reply with quote
WoodDude wrote:
KHasui wrote:

Amazon does their own subtitles for everything and I think they're auto-generated, not AI.

While (currently) true for Amazon's English programming that they host on their own, external services like Crunchy use subtitling systems provided by the external company. So whether it is Amazon or Crunchy testing them, if you had loaded up an English-subtitled anime through Amazon's subscription service back in January, you wouldbegettingsentences that look. A lot like this.

If song lyrics (ironically in English but with a heavy accent) were saying "moment of truth", the subtitles would display with a noticeable delay the lyrics as "the moment of Jean".

If anyone has ever seen someone drop a machine-translated manga scan online and left it to die (with no cleanups, edits for flow, or hope that another translator group will pick it up since it's now already-"available"), this is just as bad if not worse because the system is literally botching subtitling English to.... English.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps Crunchyroll wants to transition to AI translation from the current machine translation that they seemingly currently have. It seems to be the worst subtitling I have seen in ages. Forget all the other issues they have with their subtitling, the biggest is getting words and names right. It is almost like making voice requests for a TV show, and it just can't understand your voice, and you get some other weird shows as options.

I don't think Crunchyroll has any staff doing actual translations for subtitling, if there are then they are just sitting back drinking coffee and playing COD. So, AI translation and subtitling won't make much difference at Crunchyroll, cause they are already leaning to heavily on machine translation.
KHasui

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:46 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Perhaps Crunchyroll wants to transition to AI translation from the current machine translation that they seemingly currently have.

Is this through the Crunchyroll app directly or Amazon? I know they do this through Amazon and it's terrible, but I'd thought Crunchyroll would have their own proper translations available directly? Is that not the case?
IkariBrendo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:04 pm Reply with quote
If anyone believes there is any justification or valid defense for this than you're [expletive] evil.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:25 pm Reply with quote
yeehaw wrote:
I want to pay for my anime, because I know animators and mangaka do what they do because they love it, even if they make slave wages for grueling work, but I'm done.
The money is just gonna go to crunchyrolls dumbfuck CEO and another 10 seasons of shield hero, but this time AI-generated!
Most of the industry is freelance, and lots of animation studios have few actual employees. Additionally, it's uncommon for the animation studio to be on the production committee, meaning, they get a lump sum from the production committee and see nothing afterwards. This means no matter how much money you spend on merchandise or importing Blu-rays from Japan, the staff sees not a single yen. Whenever the animation studio is on the production committee, they're usually towards the bottom. This is one of the reasons why as anime has made more money, it's not going to back to the workers due to how it's funded.

I still remember how Actas lost money on the Girls und Panzer movie.
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4800554#4800554
TarsTarkas wrote:
Perhaps Crunchyroll wants to transition to AI translation from the current machine translation that they seemingly currently have. It seems to be the worst subtitling I have seen in ages. Forget all the other issues they have with their subtitling, the biggest is getting words and names right. It is almost like making voice requests for a TV show, and it just can't understand your voice, and you get some other weird shows as options.

I don't think Crunchyroll has any staff doing actual translations for subtitling, if there are then they are just sitting back drinking coffee and playing COD. So, AI translation and subtitling won't make much difference at Crunchyroll, cause they are already leaning to heavily on machine translation.
The credits as bad as they are now on the Blu-rays say otherwise. Look up any of these names in the tweets below on the ANN encyclopedia and you'll see many of them have been working on anime for years, even a decade or more.

Chainsaw Man anime#23843
Eureka Seven: Hi-Evolution Movie 3 anime#19907
Konosuba: Legend of Crimson anime#21138
My Dress-Up Darling anime#24306
Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth anime#24991

I don't have any more recent Crunchyroll Blu-rays to check credits on at the moment.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:59 pm Reply with quote
BigOnAnime wrote:
The credits as bad as they are now on the Blu-rays say otherwise. Look up any of these names in the tweets below on the ANN encyclopedia and you'll see many of them have been working on anime for years, even a decade or more.

Only talking about the subtitles on the Crunchyroll stream.
TokimekiCrisis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:52 am Reply with quote
I heard Amazon's subs were actually just closed captioning of the dub audio, even if you were watching it subbed. At least that was what people were saying back when Yuri on Ice had some very dodgy subs on there
Miyu115

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:43 am Reply with quote
Translators for things like this were already being paid peanuts, but at least it was something rather than a computer system literally taking over everything.

This just reminds me, Andrew Yang was a great presidential candidate for actually addressing the fact that automation of so many industries is cutting out human jobs at an alarming rate. My parents generation are out of touch with digital stuff they don't even realize that we should be concerned with this, including presidential candidates.
Trollhiti Tour Guide

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:44 am Reply with quote
Fighting against new technology just seems like a losing battle to me. Like people who clung to rental stores in the growing days of streaming. I know people will lose jobs, but it's been like that since the beginning of automation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7