• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - When Does an Anime Need a Reboot?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oggers

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Radrappy wrote:
I'm sure I'll catch heat for this...but has there ever been a lauded reboot that you all just bounced off of?

I LOVED the 2001 Fruits Basket, despite the fact that it ends only partway through the manga...it was emotionally satisfying and exceptionally well directed.

The 2001 Fruits Basket anime does have its strengths, even though I personally prefer the manga and the 2019 reboot. The jokes certainly have a snappier delivery and there are some more fourth wall-breaking gags, which isn't surprising since that version was directed by Akitaro Daichi; he took a similar approach to the anime adaptation of Kodocha, which is a lot more hyperactive, zany, and fourth wall-breaking than the original manga.

That said...I think the zany humor sometimes feels a little out of place considering how Fruits Basket was never meant to be a straight comedy, which is one reason why original creator Natsuki Takaya didn't like the 2001 anime very much. It also changes some characterization to fit that more (Shigure is pure comic relief instead of using silliness as a front for his manipulative nature, Tohru is almost relentlessly positive and the 2001 anime never delves further into her deeper insecurities). The visuals don't hold up that well anymore, either, since it was clearly made during the shift from hand-painted cells to digipaint and the color palette is very dull.

Of course, like you said, it likely depends on what you watched/read first, and people are allowed their preferences. The 2019 anime is still one of the few reboots I've enjoyed since it adapts the manga in full and sticks closer to how it was originally told, which I think is a good story in itself.
Divineking

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:17 pm Reply with quote
mgree0032 wrote:
At most times, when an anime gets a reboot, the original dub cast was replaced and a new cast come in like with Shaman king 2021.

That's mostly inaccurate. While there were a few cast replacements here and there either for logistical reasons or because someone passed away, most of the Japanese cast from the 2001 version of Shaman King reprised their roles, and was something that Hiroyuki Takei had pushed for to the point of turning down a previous offer for a reboot because they weren't willing to keep the same cast. The English dub was also pretty heavy on reprisals and maintained a surprising amount of the cast from the old 4Kids dub which makes me think that must have been a mandate across the board.

(It's just a shame the voice direction for the reboot's dub was so bad. Would have been a great opportunity to demonstrate that a lot of those actors were more talented than given credit for in their heyday, but even the 4Kids dub of the 2001 version holds up better performance wise than what we got with the reboot which feels extremely weird to say)
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:42 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
If I were going to nominate a series that deserves a reboot it would be Claymore. The original series ended abruptly because the manga was continuing. In fact, it continued for a number of years after the anime was released in 2006.

As much as I like the series (I have wall scrolls, as well as both DVD and Blu-Ray versions) and even the way the anime ended, I could get behind a remake of this one. At the very least, the last couple of episodes would have to be reconned entirely in order to make a sequel, and I think a different visual approach to the action scenes (which were somewhat limited on animation) could be interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AsleepBySunset

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Oggers wrote:

Of course, like you said, it likely depends on what you watched/read first, and people are allowed their preferences. The 2019 anime is still one of the few reboots I've enjoyed since it adapts the manga in full and sticks closer to how it was originally told, which I think is a good story in itself.

I largely disagree. The original anime had fine colour palettes. I agree they're a tad bit desaturated for my liking, but the reboots colour palettes are some of the most dull colour palettes I've seen in anime, ever (though they don't take the spot for worse ever).

It also does that thing where instead of using thin black line art, the lines are actually a desaturated shade of brownish grey. Thin BLACK lines, as in actual black lines make everything pop which is why cartoons like secret of nimh or FMA 2003 look so good. I don't care if its weird to say, I've loved how good thin black lines and matte/celshaded colours looked since I was a child (and I noticed because it looks f***king good, not because I'm eccentric or something). People say "black compliments everything" for a reason. Thin brown lines look nowhere near as good as thin black line art.

The only thing which pulled it off is actually my neighbour totoro.

If you notice the thin lines around the hair are either DARKER than the hair, or noticably lighter than the hair's shade. If you look at modern thin brown lineart anime (there's a disappointing amount), you'll often notice there's a strange visual flaw where the lineart around the hair is roughly the same darkness and saturation as the hair's colour (yes I do notice this kind of thing).

I actually didn't even bother watching Fruits Basket 2009 season 3 because I just don't like looking at it and I don't really care for that wry melancholy right now.[/img]
mrsticky005

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Nyapan wrote:
I've liked almost all of the reboots I've seen so they've been a net positive for me!
Some of them aren't talked about enough though like Dragon Quest Dai no Daibouken which was a very solid battle shonen with consistent animation. Guess it was too by the book for most people unfortunately.

Dragon Quest: The Adventures of Dai is an underrated masterpiece.

Have you read or watched Beet the Vandel Buster?
It's by the same author and artist team as The Adventures of Dai.

Beet the Vandel Buster NEEDS an anime reboot. Here's why.

The old anime stopped at 26 chapters or 7 volumes.
There are 67 chapters and 17 volumes now.

That might not sound like a lot but the chapters in Beet go from about 25 pages
per chapter from the first 26 chapters to about 50 pages per chapter
due to it switching to magazines.

The English volume releases stopped at 12 volumes and are out of print
and this is because the author/artist team had to go on hiatus for about a decade.

However the manga is back and currently running
and 16 volumes have been scanlated

So with the Adventures of Dai 2020 reboot done I think it would make a lot of
sense for that same studio to also do a reboot of Beet the Vandel Buster
and make it a seasonal anime.
hamernerd245

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:27 am Reply with quote
light turner wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Not if the animation or other elements have aged poorly they are. Still remember people actually getting bothered by the Shaman King reboot getting rid of Chocolove’s big lips even with many of these people being aware of why they changed it.

See, I'm the opposite, that's generally one of the main reasons I find reboots and remakes to be awful on average. Censorship in general sucks. It's one of the worst things about modern reboots. Even stuff like Dragonball Kai was toned down considerably compared to the original and that wasn't even a true remake but they still felt the need to remove blood and tone down other violent stuff in the new airing. And Super was even more tame which makes me wonder how Daima will even be. It makes me wonder how the One Piece will be handled if it's not airing in a late night slot. Will Luffy still get porcupined by Don Krieg's spikes and become a bloody mess? I guess we'll see.

I suppose this is an example of when and why some people do consider the remake as 'replacing' the original, or at least hoping that it does. They don't like certain types of content in media so they're fine with pretending the old version doesn't exist anymore and the new 'updated' version is the only one that matters or is relevant if said content is removed. Although in general anime is generally censored compared to the original manga. Even the 2001 Shaman King anime heavily altered Chocolove's backstory even if they kept his design. In the end if someone wants the true experience, read the original manga, light novel, video game, or whatever the adaption is based on. Although I do find it a bit silly when people try to herald a more censored version of a work as the 'true version' and try to ignore the original source material.
The reason why Dragon Ball Kai got censored was because it aired in a Sunday Morning Timeslot for kids whereas Dragon Ball Z aired in a primetime slot back during it's run. Toei's One Piece anime is aired in a Sunday primetime and is already censored compared to the manga since day 1 with some of it's harsher violence & gruesome aspects toned down, like Zeff losing his leg to save Sanji instead of severing it with a rock & eating it to survive or that moment in Marineford where they censored Whitebeard getting half his face melted off to him just losing half his mustache. The One Piece remake shouldn't have this issue since it's being hosted online instead of being aired on TV. Sometimes censorship is just done because the studio involved has to follow network guidelines.
cloud8100

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:00 am Reply with quote
Promised Neverland made some really weird decisions with missing out on one of the best characters in the series. Deadman Wonderland also missed a plot important character and changed a few things. I feel like these are enough for reboots.
AsleepBySunset

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:38 pm Reply with quote
cloud8100 wrote:
Promised Neverland made some really weird decisions with missing out on one of the best characters in the series. Deadman Wonderland also missed a plot important character and changed a few things. I feel like these are enough for reboots.

I wish they just did the same thing as Ashita no Joe season 2 honestly.
psipsy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Just wanna add that as a fan of the original Urusei Yatsura ever since I got into anime back in the mid-90s, I'm enjoying the new UY just as much.

No, it's not exactly the same as the original. It's impossible for them to be identical. Some changes were necessary. The important thing is, the new UY is just as fun as the old one.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
At the very least, the last couple of episodes would have to be reconned entirely in order to make a sequel, and I think a different visual approach to the action scenes (which were somewhat limited on animation) could be interesting.

I'd want to see a third cour to wrap up some of the loose ends in the original anime.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:24 pm Reply with quote
If there's one anime I really hope has a proper reboot, it's the Tama and Friends franchise. And I think it would be a great addition to the MAPPA library. Unlike Uchitama?!, which featured the pets as humans, it would an actual series with the dogs and cats and their everyday adventures. To me, it would be to Uchitama?! what Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works was to Fate/Zero... a followup to an underrated series.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:20 pm Reply with quote
AsleepBySunset wrote:
It also does that thing where instead of using thin black line art, the lines are actually a desaturated shade of brownish grey. Thin BLACK lines, as in actual black lines make everything pop which is why cartoons like secret of nimh or FMA 2003 look so good. I don't care if its weird to say, I've loved how good thin black lines and matte/celshaded colours looked since I was a child (and I noticed because it looks f***king good, not because I'm eccentric or something). People say "black compliments everything" for a reason. Thin brown lines look nowhere near as good as thin black line art.

Back when 101 Dalmatians came out, one of the reasons the xerography process it used was considered a step down from the manual inking Disney had been doing beforehand was the fact that at the time, it could only produce black lines.

Ah, the irony.
Sasuke149

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:33 am Reply with quote
Nyapan wrote:
My biggest wish is a Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle reboot. It's my favorite manga and the Bee Train adaptation doesn't give it justice at all! Half of it is filler and it has a lot of censorship to fit into a kid's timeslot as to cash into Cardcaptor Sakura's success. It also looks really bad even for the time and while the OST is great by itself, its usage in the show is subpar.
You know the adaptation is bad when Clamp themselves asked for the cancellation of the planned third season!

YESSSS! THISSSS!! If I ever become a millionaire, I will commission some animation studio to do a reboot of TRC and xxxHolic. Not that the Holic anime was bad, I think it's one of the best Clamp adaptations. But I want those two to air simultaneously and intertwiningly. One big project if possible. I once reread TRC and Holic together with my friends, one volume at a time. There is a chronological order, so we would read one Holic volume, then two TRC volumes, then one Holic again. It was one of the most fun experiences. But I haven't been able to do this with other manga, as most of my friends are anime people. So I would appreciate it if there was an anime reboot of both that could bring justice to the crossovers.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:33 am Reply with quote
I suspect CLAMP's time as a phenomenon has passed.
Sasuke149

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:05 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I suspect CLAMP's time as a phenomenon has passed.

Don't say that, it breaks my heart.. Anime cry It's mostly true I guess but I still have hope seeing that whenever Clamp does something a lot of fans on the internet seem to engage in some way and comment about it, showing that they are still relevant even today.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6