• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Maiko-san Chi no Makanai-san Manga Goes on Hiatus, Returns in September

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DKL

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I haven’t read the manga, but the live action adaptation directed by Hirokazu Kore-Eda was incredible.

A lot of care was put into that production and I’m hoping people watched it.

That said, would like to read the manga. Same with Umimachi Diary (live action version of which was also directed by Kore-Eda).

But I assume the quality of the adaptations wasn’t enough to encourage US publications, so I guess it is what it is.
anime_layer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:45 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
That said, would like to read the manga. Same with Umimachi Diary (live action version of which was also directed by Kore-Eda).

Unlike Umimachi Diary, which I thought was a pretty faithful adaptation, though only covering the beginning of the manga - Kiyo in Kyoto changes the tone and focus of the manga quite a bit. The manga is much more about Kiyo and cooking, while the live-action series expands the cast and puts more focus on the relationships. I preferred the quieter tone in the manga but thought the additions of the live-action series were all very good.

The Kiyo in Kyoto anime is available on Crunchyroll and is much closer to the manga than the live-action series. In lieu of reading the manga, I recommend checking out the anime series, and you'll quickly know if the manga would be something for you. The anime series uses 3D, which might require a bit getting used to, but it's well animated and the backgrounds are gorgeous.
DKL

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Definitely going to check out the anime ASAP.

Thanks for the breakdown
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1