• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: GameStop Terminates CEO Amidst Declining Revenue

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:25 am Reply with quote
Gamestop continues to be a company that is determined to stave off the inevitable. I guess it's a slight improvement that this time it was someone who stuck around long enough to be fired instead of quitting. Then again, having a termination agreement that involves being let go "without cause" means they'll also end up paying him on the way out the door.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:26 am Reply with quote
Even in a time of inflation, this company is still in survival mode. To have profits still declining is not a good sign, but perhaps they will rebound this quarter because of Zelda.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:03 am Reply with quote
At some point an uncomfortable question needs to be asked: what purpose does GameStop serve for the games industry? Publishers don't print physical copies and would rather you use their own bespoke stores to buy them. Dedicated secondhand stores/hobby shops are likely going to be the preference of enthusiasts looking for used games or nerd ephemera, and non-enthusiasts (parents) will gravitate towards big box stores. This all leaves GameStop without a place.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:42 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
At some point an uncomfortable question needs to be asked: what purpose does GameStop serve for the games industry? Publishers don't print physical copies

News to me and pretty much anyone else buying physical copies of most games on non mobile, PC, or Mac hardware.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:59 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Publishers don't print physical copies and would rather you use their own bespoke stores to buy them.

Ah, so that physical copy of We Love Katamari Reroll for Switch I literally just bought yesterday at a local GameStop isn't actually real. Thanks for clarifying that I just spent money on a literal figment of my imagination.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:21 am Reply with quote
Love that they shaved a little off the top rather than scorching the bottom line, though I assume that's still on the table.
The_Daytona_500

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
At some point an uncomfortable question needs to be asked: what purpose does GameStop serve for the games industry? Publishers don't print physical copies and would rather you use their own bespoke stores to buy them. Dedicated secondhand stores/hobby shops are likely going to be the preference of enthusiasts looking for used games or nerd ephemera, and non-enthusiasts (parents) will gravitate towards big box stores. This all leaves GameStop without a place.

Literally everyone buys only physical games dude. Last I checked i can't trade in my digital game once I'm done with it, so throwing away money on digital games doesn't work for most people. The problem with GameStop specifically though, is their shipping is slow af compared to Amazon, and also their website seems to hate VPNs.
Chris Handsome

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:01 pm Reply with quote
The only current console with physical games even worth buying is the Nintendo Switch.

But on the Playstation and Xbox, they are nothing more than serial codes to download games at this point. Most games aren't even playable out of the box anymore.
SpookyDollhouse

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:49 pm Reply with quote
"They don't make physical games anymore"

"Most PlayStation & Xbox games are serial codes"

Y'all are amazing, don't stop Laughing
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Not stonks?
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately, I feel like GameStop is going to be gone within the next five years, and it'll be a sad day when that happens. When it comes to games, my husband and I buy nearly exclusively from GameStop. We love physically having our games, for the sake of displaying as a collection as well as the safeguard that we won't lose a game when rights issues becomes a problem as what can happen with digital games.

Pre-ordering from GameStop is also preferred, because we don't have to pay all at once and can still get a copy for $5 down, something that I haven't been able to do with something like Walmart or Best Buy that wants everything up front. We also have a much better time going through GameStop to find titles than we are at other big box stores (last couple of times we've went to Best Buy, their selection was terribly small).

I know online is the prefer shopping method nowadays, but nothing really beats going to a store, buying what you want, and having it in hand that same day versus having to wait and pay more for shipping. I know that's a lot of "old person" feelings, but we're big fans of GameStop and what they provide, and will be very sad when they do finally close for good. Just like we'll be sad if publishers ever go all digital only, which is something else I fear.

My husband is already very upset that Alan Wake 2 isn't getting a physical version, meaning he won't have it for his collection and he doubts he'll ever be able to play it because he can't download the game (no Xbox Live, refuses to waste the money on it because he doesn't play online, plus spotty connection making him doubt he'll be able to download it entirely anyway). Although maybe one day it'll get one... we can only hope. And if that does happen, I hope we'll be able to get it from GameStop.
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Never had any issues with Gamestop personally.

I physically walk to the physical location, and physically buy a physical game with physical cash.

One and done. I occasionally pre order games that tend to be niche, like the recent Grimgrimoire. But otherwise they have stock of most common stuff, and at prices better than digital or not far off most of the time.

I do agree that in today's climate of devs being forced to release fast/patch later, it is annoying that there is a need to rely on a hybrid digital/physical model.

Personally I 'll never sped more than $15 bucks on any digital title. Most that I've bought fall under $10 and were indy titles that never had a physical release. Digital goods have no value to me, so i treat them the same way I treat the cost of a meal/movie ticket. Something expendable and fleeting that is not guaranteed to be permanent or with any resale/trade/lend value.

If all games go digital, I'll only pay rental/streaming prices or continue at sub $5-10 value.
Fuuba

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Literally everyone buys only physical games dude. Last I checked i can't trade in my digital game once I'm done with it, so throwing away money on digital games doesn't work for most people. The problem with GameStop specifically though, is their shipping is slow af compared to Amazon, and also their website seems to hate VPNs.

"Literally everyone only buys physical games?" Literally everyone? Lmao. Not "literally everyone" only buys physical games. That's an insane claim to make so boldly. Some people buy physical, some digital, and some people buy a mixture of both.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Fuuba wrote:
"Literally everyone only buys physical games?" Literally everyone? Lmao. Not "literally everyone" only buys physical games. That's an insane claim to make so boldly. Some people buy physical, some digital, and some people buy a mixture of both.

The Newbie is right.

jdnation wrote:
Never had any issues with Gamestop personally.

I only have two

1. Being the time I wanted to get something (don’t remember what it was). And they would only except credit or debit cards. And I can’t remember whether I had to go without or buy what I was looking for from the nearby mall.

2. The time I bought some stuff including a PSN Card that the cashier in his absentmindedness while striking up a conversation with me somehow didn’t scan the gift card. Don’t think charged for it being it wasn’t scanned but that was a pain in the ass.

Store was closed down and turned into a Sonic’s….which was closed down and turned into a KFC.
Avec ou Nous

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:08 am Reply with quote
Isn't the new Alan Wake and Like a Dragon game digital only? There's a lot of smaller/indie games that are digital only already, but AAA companies are now doing it. We're going to get a digital only future whether we like it or not eventually. And the merits of physical are probably oversold in the era of Day 1 patches and broken launches. Having a disk of a PS5 game won't mean much in 10-20 years when there's no servers for newer players with fresh consoles to update and patch it, or get the DLC.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2