• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Mirror Newspaper Reports on Manchester Maids Argument

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I love these people who are sabotaging the fight for progress. The left needs to clean house, honestly.

There's a good chance she's also a TERF, since, you know, Britain.
Vee-Tee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Hellsoldier wrote:
I love these people who are sabotaging the fight for progress. The left needs to clean house, honestly.

There's a good chance she's also a TERF, since, you know, Britain.

Her Twitter bio has those gender critical emojis (green, white, purple) they use to identify each other, with said colours having been appropriated from the suffragette flag. Yep, TERF alert
yurigasaki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:05 am Reply with quote
holy shit lol this is right in my backyard. I've literally been to this cafe. surreal as hell to see it on ANN.

anyway, should go without saying that harding has no [expletive] clue what she's talking about. the cafe is pretty much just like any other cafe, it just happens to have an anime theme. the girls are all pretty chilled out and comfortable (from what i could tell) and, like the article says, the majority of the people who've been in there every time i've dropped by are high school age kids.

i'd honestly recommend anyone in manchester drop by it if you're near afflecks. it's a cute little hangout spot.

EDIT: LMFAO hold up. of course harding hates this place. afflecks is an aggressively queer-friendly and inclusive place. there are multiple stores dedicated to items and books specifically for a queer audience. it is INTENSELY trans inclusive – the animaid cafe even has a bunch of pride flags displayed on its little flower wall. mystery solved!
WoodDude

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:19 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
All the comments here are about her being a supposed TERF, but what has that got to do with the Cafe? Are the maids traps?

No. Whatever her opinion on trans issues isn't relevant, and the idea it has anything to do with this is more than likely just deflection from people trying to distance themself from her by using the No True Scotsman fallacy. The idea that she must not be a leftist because no true leftist would ever be trans exclusive so therefore this is not a lefist woman hating on anime culture.

The truth is a lot of lefties dislike anime for the same reasons as her. Perceived sexism, perceived misogyny, general otaku targeted stuff being filled with this kinda stuff. ANN is a very trans-inclusive place but you do not have to look very far to see writers using the same language this woman does to refer to otaku oriented anime with skeevy fanservice by saying how it makes their skin crawl. And reporters doing this is nothing new. The UK's papers and news stations in particular are infamous for their obsession with trying to attack Japan and anime/manga. Many Japanese mangaka and industry people constantly have to slap back at UK media for trying to shame Japan. You may have seen creators like Kentaro Miura or Takeshi Nogami taking on the UN or UK media in the past. Vice also did that infamous documentary hit piece on the manga industry that they even went so far as to region lock it so Japanese people couldn't watch it or comment on it to correct their misinformation and accusations.

So, no, this isn't some secret anti-trans conspiracy, it's just the usual anti-anime stuff going on. Maid cafes are otaku focused and involve sexualizing women for men's enjoyment. It's not hard to see why a progressive woman would be against the idea. Or a conservative woman either for that matter, just so people don't accuse me of being some right winger sympathizer. Both sides are annoying and hate this stuff.
yurigasaki

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:56 am Reply with quote
WoodDude wrote:
No. Whatever her opinion on trans issues isn't relevant

given that affleck's is, again, an expressly queer-friendly place with multiple shops dedicated to queer culture and that the cafe is similarly inclusive of queer culture up to and including prominently displaying pride flags and holding dedicated events during pride months, it feels like a stretch to say it's irrelevant
Penrhos

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:57 am Reply with quote
Will have to check it out next time I'm in Manchester...

Moe, Moe, Kyun in a Manchester accent probably sounds a bit butch.

Perhaps they need to get her opinion on "Hooters" that well known American maid cafe chain.
i got the shivers!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:53 pm Reply with quote
yurigasaki wrote:
given that affleck's is, again, an expressly queer-friendly place with multiple shops dedicated to queer culture and that the cafe is similarly inclusive of queer culture up to and including prominently displaying pride flags and holding dedicated events during pride months, it feels like a stretch to say it's irrelevant

queer is a broad term. plenty of people support LGB without the T, including people who are gay, lesbian, and bi themselves. Don't think that's a sign of anything in particular.

though given her complaints was about the 'no touching the staff' rule and the fact they had to have that sign in the first place was her complaint. she's not complaining they have pride flags or they hire trans people. the issue is with the objectification of women. unless people are suggesting she's making up reason to hide her secret hatred of trans people which just seems like a baseless conspiracy theory. It's probably a safe bet to assume she's being honest and upfront when she says she objects to the objectification of women.
onpufan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:50 am Reply with quote
Hellsoldier wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by clean house. The article isn't saying anything you don't see said by other leftists in online spaces already. How is calling a maid cafe "Hooters for incels" any different than other left-leaning people online calling an anime they don't like for incels, or the fans themselves incels? Especially when it comes to criticizing the portrayal of women in Japanese media and the fans defending it which is a topic that is often brung up by left-leaning creators online.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1