• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Disney to Exclusively Stream Tokyo Revengers: Christmas Showdown Anime in January

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FukuchiChiisaia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:34 pm Reply with quote
xxmsxx wrote:

Just curious, and anecdote only of course, but how much of a market share do you think Muse has in SEA?

Context first: Anime market in Asia is not monopolized by Crunchyroll like the rest of the world.

Anime license is usually owned by third party company, then relicense them to several streaming service, but some of them also distribute the anime legally on YouTube for free.

First season of Tokyo Revengers is one of the most popular video watched on Indonesian YouTube. It regularly reach top five trending in the country, even non-anime fans watch it casually. Even the Indonesian dub is available there as well. Its popularity convinced Japanese licensor to let them release Tokyo Revengers uncensored, showing swastika/manji symbol.

Despite that, Muse Communications relicense Tokyo Revengers into at least seven platforms. Two of them is Bilibili (which is claimed as Crunchyroll of Asia) and Disney Plus Hotstar.

I recall seeing Disney+ ads showcasing Tokyo Revengers regurlarly back then, since it was one of the most popular shows in the country.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Turro wrote:
This sucks. None of the shows that Disney licensed this year are available in latinamerica.

Well, Black Rock Shooter Dawnfall was added to Star+, but they're releasing a new episode each week, despite the fact that the Latin American Spanish dub for the whole was leaked months before it came to the region. The same thing happened with Summer Time Rendering and Bleach, the shows are getting dubbed into Spanish but they're not available in Latin America
Speaking about dubs, although Disney's handling of anime outside of Japan has been pretty bad at least the dubs they made for BRS and STR were good (Bleach's Spanish dub is handled by Viz), and I wouldn't mind dubbing studio change for Tokyo Revengers since its Neutral Spanish dub isn't that great, only the main characters sound good, the secondary characters are voiced by inexperienced actors and it shows.
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Huh. Well, at least Fire Force is probably not going to get affected by this, since Crunchyroll Dubs/Funimation is part of the production comittee for the series, which is good news for me.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
Or maybe they could send it back to Studiopolis given that they have a story working with them. Did you forget that? Only two animes and now everyone assumes everything's going to Roundabout?

Maybe? We don't really have a good frame of reference for how they're going to handle these other than the fact that they've used a new studio for their recent dubs.
Grove

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Good to know I should forget this show ever existed. Disney does not stream anime in the US, or anywhere outside Japan that I know of. Here are the series I have forgotten:
* Summer Time Render
* New Black Rock Shooter
* Tokyo Revengers: Christmas Showdown

Never get a Disney streaming subscription because it will not have the shows Disney has licensed. Maybe 5 or 10 years from now, when those shows are on a DIFFERENT streaming service, I MIGHT consider watching one of them then. But never on Disney; they've proven that with Summer Time Render.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Grove wrote:
Good to know I should forget this show ever existed. Disney does not stream anime in the US, or anywhere outside Japan that I know of. Here are the series I have forgotten:
* Summer Time Render
* New Black Rock Shooter

Never get a Disney streaming subscription because it will not have the shows Disney has licensed. Maybe 5 or 10 years from now, when those shows are on a DIFFERENT streaming service, I MIGHT consider watching one of them then. But never on Disney; they've proven that with Summer Time Render.

The new BRS, Tatami Time Machine Blues, and the new Bleach are on Hulu. No word yet on Summer Time Rendering (count me in as someone who is really annoyed that it isn't here yet), but you can't say that they aren't releasing anything (Disney owns Hulu).
Glordit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:03 am Reply with quote
blahmoomoo wrote:
Grove wrote:
* Summer Time Render
* New Black Rock Shooter

The new BRS, Tatami Time Machine Blues, and the new Bleach are on Hulu. No word yet on Summer Time Rendering (count me in as someone who is really annoyed that it isn't here yet), but you can't say that they aren't releasing anything (Disney owns Hulu).

I don't have access to Hulu due to their dumb regional restrictions, I do have access to Disney+ but they don't stream any of those in my region.

I used to be able to watch Bleach on Crunchyroll but now that it's on Disney+, I can't watch that either.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:17 am Reply with quote
Has Disney+ confirmed yet if this deal with Kodansha is globally or just for Asia?
PipimiOden

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:17 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Has Disney+ confirmed yet if this deal with Kodansha is globally or just for Asia?

I think they confirmed that to be a worldwide disney plus release already.
Walpurgiz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:39 am Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
ErikaD.D wrote:
So Crunchyroll no longer licensing Kodansha animes? That means they won't get Attack on Titan third final season? CR is keep losing some big anime titles (like Bleach final arc and Black Clover movie) and selection of animes in CR is getting smaller and smaller.

We don't know if that's the case at the moment. I doubt it's going to affect AOT but after that is anyone's guess. Kodansha might be sick of the Sony monopoly or something, we don't know because we're not industry insiders. I'm sure Justin or the Answerman column will have some take in due time if this blows up more.

idk why u still mention "Crunchyroll being monopoly"
at this point we all know it's not. Crunchyroll still need to pay for any anime they gonna license.
Not to mention this kind of deal happend in japan before bidding war happend So it has nothing to do with Crunchyroll
Why? because Crunchyroll/Hdive not the only streaming platform that care about anime

IN SEA there's Muse asia,Media link,Aniplus etc. who are distributor and licensor in SA,SEA Region. and sub-license to more than 20-30 streaming platform in asia
in japan there's like 20+ streaming platform that also stream anime.

So this kind of deal actually more of the problem to japanese people because most anime series usually stream on multiple platform instead of stuck in one service.but since Disney+ is kinda new and still need to get more sub in japan. Exclusive deal is inevitable
Eddy2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:49 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Why is Disney only licensing sequels? Especially sequels to shows they don't have the rights to? Earlier this month Disney Plus got the sequel to Tatami Galaxy but not the original show. And now it's the same thing with Tokyo Revengers.

So new fans who discover the series through Disney Plus will end up being confused since the show is a continuation, and old fans may decide it's not worth continuing to follow the series since it requires getting a whole different streaming service than season 1. At least when Netflix got exclusive rights to the latest season of Jojo, they made it a point to put every previous season on the service, too. Disney doesn't seem to be doing that. You get season 2 of Revengers and if you didn't have access to the first one, too bad.

Disney's usual audience isn't really into anime so if they want to get them to try it out, this not the way to do it.

I think they will stil get the first season of TR sub-licensed or something. This may not be the best example since it's Viz who holds the master license, but Disney did get all of pre-TYBW Bleach. https://www.reddit.com/r/Animedubs/comments/ydu1r3/disney_adds_bleach_episodes_1366_internationally/
HiroKurokami1000

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Walpurgiz wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
ErikaD.D wrote:
So Crunchyroll no longer licensing Kodansha animes? That means they won't get Attack on Titan third final season? CR is keep losing some big anime titles (like Bleach final arc and Black Clover movie) and selection of animes in CR is getting smaller and smaller.

We don't know if that's the case at the moment. I doubt it's going to affect AOT but after that is anyone's guess. Kodansha might be sick of the Sony monopoly or something, we don't know because we're not industry insiders. I'm sure Justin or the Answerman column will have some take in due time if this blows up more.

at this point we all know it's not. Crunchyroll still need to pay for any anime they gonna license.
Not to mention this kind of deal happend in japan before bidding war happend So it has nothing to do with Crunchyroll
Why? because Crunchyroll/Hdive not the only streaming platform that care about anime

IN SEA there's Muse asia,Media link,Aniplus etc. who are distributor and licensor in SA,SEA Region. and sub-license to more than 20-30 streaming platform in asia

So this kind of deal actually more of the problem to japanese people because most anime series usually stream on multiple platform instead of stuck in one service.but since Disney+ is kinda new and still need to get more sub in japan. Exclusive deal is inevitable
I’d say let it. Disney needs to learn that there are certain things they can’t be involved with. And one of them is anime
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:09 pm Reply with quote
HiroKurokami1000 wrote:
Walpurgiz wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
ErikaD.D wrote:

I’d say let it. Disney needs to learn that there are certain things they can’t be involved with. And one of them is anime

When Disney was dubbing those Ghibli films, I think that is when they were rightfully involved with anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3