• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bayonetta Voice Actress Hellena Taylor Disputes Claims in New Statement

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ivanchoFAA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:50 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT: Please be constructively critical, not angry, petty and inflammatory. Thanks -TK]
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:02 pm Reply with quote
I think VA's are underappreciated (and often underpaid) for what they contribute, but that doesn't mean they're always honest.
Soul_Punisher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:05 pm Reply with quote
More excuses.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:06 pm Reply with quote
I take it Platinum games still hasn't apologised yet for screwing her over.
ivanchoFAA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Since when does a liar deserves an apology? This Actress is done for and I hope never comes back
Matcha.8

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Ok the first few comments to this post is already very concerning in how they extrapolate Taylor's behavior to the whole of the "Western VAs." Let's not do that. I'm not familiar with English VAs and I usually consume Japanese voiceovers when it's available but even I know that English VAs is an underpaid and underappreciated profession. We can all agree on Taylor's misrepresentation of information to get her way is shitty but we don't need to make the illogical leap to "all English VAs are shitty." It's sad how Taylor's irresponsible behavior screwed things over for pretty much everyone else involved.
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:26 pm Reply with quote
As I said in the last thread, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that Taylor was paid specifically to start this whole drama just to undermine the efforts of VA's to earn a living wage. She wants a living wage equal to what she's contributed, but 15k *is* a livable wage. Hellena hasn't worked in film or voice roles outside of Bayonetta for the last decade from my research. Of course that one role isn't going to set her up for more than a couple months.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:27 pm Reply with quote
This was the exact mentality I was worried was gonna become more prevalent after it was revealed Hellena Taylor was lying. All it took was one bad person to turn it into "every western VA is a liar and crybaby when they bring up low wages" despite there being so many other accounts
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:32 pm Reply with quote
VAs have every right to complain about poor treatment and poor pay just like workers of any other profession. It’s simply a fact that they aren’t being paid well at all. Just put yourself in their position. I’m sure you’d complain too. Like others have said, don’t let one voice actor’s dishonesty color your perception. This is a real issue that needs discussing.
Hal14

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:32 pm Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:
This was the exact mentality I was worried was gonna become more prevalent after it was revealed Hellena Taylor was lying. All it took was one bad person to turn it into "every western VA is a liar and crybaby when they bring up low wages" despite there being so many other accounts

It didn't really "take" anything to get there. There are several anime fans who already had this mindset before bad apples amongst VAs appeared
LadyKuzunoha

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Matcha8 wrote:
It's sad how Taylor's irresponsible behavior screwed things over for pretty much everyone else involved.

100% agreed here and the rest of your comment as well. We can call out terrible behavior on part of VAs (regardless of where they come from) when it happens without throwing everyone under the bus. And this has now probably effectively torpedoed the prior discussion about wages that was going on.

Last edited by LadyKuzunoha on Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vent

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Yep all Taylor has done is make it harder for people who are actually getting screwed over to make their lives better

Someone who barely works in voice acting has just set the fair wages movement back for basically no reason other than spite
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:41 pm Reply with quote
she's a liar and that's it. it's also funny how she keeps asking for a living wage when they were going to pay her $15,000 for about 20 hours of work. That's FAR more than a "living wage" if she actually worked more than twice a decade. She, like many other people doing artistic/creative work, think they deserve to be paid a year's worth of salary for a few hours work. That's not how the world works. If you want to be paid over $50k a year for doing the minimal amount of work, you should be fighting for Universal Basic Income instead of fighting for insanely high pay for a job literally thousands of other people are more than happy to do for a tiny fraction of what you were offered.

Being a VA is always a side job. It shouldn't pay a living wage unless you're actually working 40 hours a week, which is almost never the case. VAs don't work harder than office workers so why do people think they deserve so much more pay per hour? It's crazy. If you were really amazing studios would be asking for you left and right. But the fact is it's a job that's got way more supply than demand
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:43 pm Reply with quote
All the people that attacked, harassed, and slander/libel-ed Kamiya on twitter before they heard the full story should be ashamed of themselves. Now look where acting like a collective got you. A collective L.
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
she's a liar and that's it. it's also funny how she keeps asking for a living wage when they were going to pay her $15,000 for about 20 hours of work. That's FAR more than a "living wage" if she actually worked more than twice a decade. She, like many other people doing artistic/creative work, think they deserve to be paid a year's worth of salary for a few hours work. That's not how the world works. If you want to be paid over $50k a year for doing the minimal amount of work, you should be fighting for Universal Basic Income instead of fighting for insanely high pay for a job literally thousands of other people are more than happy to do for a tiny fraction of what you were offered.

This is so wrong. First of all, most people who work in a creative field work their asses off. Don't lump such a large number of people together because Hellena Taylor did wrong.

Second, "20 hours of work" doesn't actually mean much when you don't see how that work is scheduled. There's a limit to how much voice work one can do per day, how many days per week, etc. That 20 hours of work can quickly become the only job one can take in a month. Yes, Hellena should have been working other jobs and more frequently than she had been to sustain herself, but you don't have to put down the efforts of other voice actors to make that point.

Third, "literally thousands of people" wanting to do a job does not actually make them qualified for it. They did not go through the training necessary, nor do they have the experience or the voice that the staff was looking for.

Finally, "literally thousands of people" chomping at the bit for a chance regardless of pay is exactly what enables shitty companies to underpay their talent. It's why animators, game developers, and voice actors are underpaid and overworked. It's why crunch is such a huge problem in these industries. And it's unacceptable in every case.

Quote:
Being a VA is always a side job. It shouldn't pay a living wage unless you're actually working 40 hours a week, which is almost never the case. VAs don't work harder than office workers so why do people think they deserve so much more pay per hour? It's crazy. If you were really amazing studios would be asking for you left and right. But the fact is it's a job that's got way more supply than demand

They get paid more per hour because they can't physically work as many hours. You'll lose your voice and permanently damage your vocal chords working 40 hours a week. Also, who are you to determine who works harder? Have you done extensive voice work and office work?

Last edited by flamemasterelan on Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4