• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hideo Kojima Confirms New Game With Xbox Game Studios

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Microsoft does have the cloud infrastructure - if anybody can pull off a cloud game, this quirky out-of-left-field creator is as good as any (he did just try a walking simulator)
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:11 am Reply with quote
Also worth noting that Norman Reedus said in an interview they’d started work on the second Death Stranding. In punishment for the leak he was summarily executed.
Dirtyshadow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:48 am Reply with quote
In game development news, game developer confirms his game development studio is developing a game.
kuma991

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:22 am Reply with quote
Well there goes any hope of a PS5 release. I hope any potential sequels to Death Stranding will still have a PS release though.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:17 am Reply with quote
Dirtyshadow wrote:
In game development news, game developer confirms his game development studio is developing a game.

No kidding. As much as I've enjoyed Kojima's games over the years, I'm not going to get excited just by the mere prospect of a game.
Pandsu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:53 am Reply with quote
Apparently, Kojima has long wanted to make what he calls a "raw game", which seems to be an idea around actual, full-on permadeath. He said he wishes he could make a game disk self-destruct when the player dies in that game, in order for players to really be careful and appreciate that one life they have to the fullest, but have enough there for that to potentially be enjoyable for a decade or two for those who don't die.

Having a game be part of a subscription you already pay for anyway, and having that be cloud-based, could honestly work and it would definitely be unique in some way.
Is it necessarily good? I don't know. It depends on the execution I suppose and griefers could definitely make that an absolute nightmare but at the very least it could be an interesting once-in-a-lifetime event. Something the press might speak of and that lead to stories told by YouTube video essayists for years to come.
Stuff like Twitch Plays Pokemon or that Peter Molyneux cube "game" or those final few people keeping shut-down services alive such as Halo 2 or Mario 35 by staying on those servers as long as possible. Or like when the world ended in the original version of Final Fantasy XIV.
Moments that are kind of legendary, but will only happen like that once.

I have long been wondering about if there will ever be an MMO that makes for actually dramatic emergent narratives around life-and-death situations. I think the idea of a player death being actually sad and dramatic is a cool one, or virtual heroicism when someone puts their life on the line for a cause or to protect someone else. Or when a whole group survives a near-death situation.
No game really lets those narratives emerge because you just respawn. But obviously it's also a balancing act because it'd be pretty frustrating to just die to some random shit and not be able to play anymore, even more so if you've invested not just time but also money in that thing. But then perhaps there could be opportunities for second chances.

Maybe one could risk it all for a special item that lets you revive either yourself or someone else. Maybe a group of friends can come together to go on an epic quest (akin to a Dragon Ball hunt) to find a way to bring someone back. Or you could have a second chance in some unique afterlife area where you can prove yourself and get another go at life that way.

It could all be janky and lead to a game that's actually "alive" for a way shorter time than it has been in development and could be pretty shit, but I think there is at least some potential for something truly special and powerful as well.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Well, good for Kojima!
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Kojima has been trying to make persistent worlds since MGS3/4. Wanting Snake to grow a beard overtime. Wanting to plamt a seed in the ground and watch it grow inti a tree. Wanting AI that can switch from being enemies to allies and voce versa depending on how you do things.

Death Stranding also has some hallmarks of that idea.

The cloud.would definitely be the best way to utilize a world that is changing based on the input of many players. This doesn't mean you can't play the game offline. Just that you'd need to connect to see the updates to the world in your campaign and likewise add in your contributions. The cloud can deal with far more data than your harddrive.

It is a fascinating idea. But the only thing actually using this is Flight Simulator for real world maps and weather data.

Microsoft had the wrong idea about usibg the cloud to do physics and destruction. That would never pan out to offset your rendering to the cloud. What it is good for is storing real-time data of an actual world that you access and can populate and update your game with where you can have tangible changes people have actually done and that even the devs can monitor and respond to with new content based.on what players are actually doing versus following a pre determined script.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1