• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Crunchyroll: Shojo Anime Genre Has Strong Growth Potential

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:55 am Reply with quote
about the monopoly. as long as Netflix exists it's nothing to worry about, the anime market was getting too segmented.

josei series, we are lucky if we get one per year, 2 is a bonanza and we mostly.have to scrap into "neutral" sources like webtoons to make those numbers, does someone remember relife, baby's first josei?

now's of course the quality of shoujo series is skewed, we get like the top 5 percent, if we had as many shoujo as we get shoune or Isekai series we would.get a lot of shitty series. that being said we can easily get the top 20% , probably more of shoujo series and the anime landscape would be better. more series for that demographic which improves things directly for them and also makes the landscape more relaxed for the other demographic, i.e. less.people that are watching shows that are not aimed at them who 3ke up just complaining about said show.

on the latest, imagine for a moment if the anime landscape was instead dominated by shoujo series, so male anime watchers watched a lot of shoujo shows and started complaining everywhere about them. the guys are too skinny and can't be yah strong, all the guys are too tall, the guys are either walking. rugs or sexual offenders gaaints the mc , etc....( i am purposefully mentioning problems present on lesser quality
shoujo series, btw)
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:03 am Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:
Nope, it just describes its main target, not what an anime (or manga) is about. To make an example with shounen, take Hikaru no Go and One Piece: both shounen manga, but they are different genres.

Words have a meaning, and demographics aren't "genres".

You literally just reinforced what I said, you know. Though you quoted my post, let me focus on exactly what I said:

Quote:
All "shojo anime" indicates is anime that is made primarily to appeal to the shojo (i.e. "young woman") demographic.

All I added was that, in order for anime to appeal towards the targeted demographic, productions will follow specific trends & the like that have been shown to work with said targeted demographic. Because of that, there are common tropes & concepts seen in various anime aimed at similar (if not exactly the same) demographics. regardless of the exact genre.

To use your example, One Piece & Hikaru no Go are indeed in different genres, but they follow a lot of the same tropes & concepts, because that's what tend to appeal to a "shonen" demographic. At best, the demographic can be used as a descriptor for a genre, i.e. there's a distinct difference in "shonen action" & "shojo action", because they do things just different enough to appeal to different demographics.

All I was saying was that, yes, "shojo" is indeed a demographic & not a genre, but it's not hard to see why some people say that it's a genre.
Anne F

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:18 am Reply with quote
capt_bunny wrote:
People have been ignoring or bashing on franchises towards the female demographic. /Fans and critics/. For plots, characters but then giving none towards the male demographic.
I'm proud of crunchyroll. I hope we can get better animation unlike A3 and dynamic cord.

This! I love A3!, but man. It was pretty hard to watch the anime because of the animation. It was rough. I hope it was fixed for BD/DVDs. At least there are the stage plays when I wanna see the story in action.
supersqueak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:37 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
It does feel like there are less Shojo anime adaptions lately, at least compared to before. Nowadays they usually get Jdrama or movie adaptions.

Which as a big Shojo manga fan I would love to see change.

Also stating the appeal of well-produced romcoms.

This reminds me how the Boys over Flowers manga has had like a dozen popular live action adapations in a bunch of different countries over the span of like over 20 years or so but they don't reboot the anime?
SHD

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:41 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
To use your example, One Piece & Hikaru no Go are indeed in different genres, but they follow a lot of the same tropes & concepts, because that's what tend to appeal to a "shonen" demographic.

So please tell me the tropes and concepts shared by One Piece, Hikaru no Go, Kakugo no susume (aka Apocalypse Zero), My Dress-up Darling, Nobunaga Concerto, Masamune-kun no revenge, Matiné & Soirée, Kunisaki Izumo, Spy x Family and Aoi honoo. All of them are, technically, shounen manga. While we're at it please tell me the tropes & concepts shared by Requiem of the Rose King, Himitsu -Top Secret-, Oooku, Kageki shoujo, Sailor Moon, Planet of the Beast King, Heart of Thomas, Rose of Versailles, Marimite, Zetsuai 1989 and Say I Love You. All of them are, technically, shoujo manga.

(Hell, at this point, tell me how Requiem of the Rose King, Hitoritachi and Otomen are totally similar - all three being shoujo manga by the same author, so art style aside.)

These are labels vaguely denoting a primary target demo, and they mean more or less nothing at this point, considering how, whether they admit it or not, people will just read and watch whatever they like regardless of their age and gender. Specific magazines may have their own specific profiles to fit their branding, but in this year and age magazines that squarely target specific age/gender demographics, eg. "shoujo" "shounen" are getting more and more rare. Most of them tend to shoot for "younger female/male readers who prefer content type X" or "older readers of any gender who prefer content type Y" or just "ANYONE PLEASE BUY THIS MAG SO WE KEEP BEING IN BUSINESS"
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:55 am Reply with quote
Oh shush up about High Guardian Spice. It crashed and burned and it's not coming back so who cares.

I'm down with more shoujo series. I love me a good romance and it feels like anime doesn't have enough of them these days. It's all harems and those don't really count since they're generally devoid of chemistry.
poltroon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I think there are a lot of people interested in complex and thoughtful stories and characters. An element of shojo that is a typical thread IME is a focus on relationships between characters. That doesn't mean there can't be action, action is fine and great too, girls like action, but it's not the only thing happening.

Also I appreciate a show without vapid (or worse abusive) fanservice. I don't mind fanservice per se - who doesn't love a good looking character - but vapidity, ugh.

Relationships and characterbuilding of course sneak in to series in other genres - Jujitsu Kaisen for example completely aces it while still being action/horror and doing those well too.
overlordrae

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:08 pm Reply with quote
I would be happy to see more shoujo anime for sure!

Also, labeling doesn't mean outside of the magazine it runs in...a lot of people seem to forget that Black Butler is shounen, and X with its ridiculous body count and lovingly rendered gore is shoujo.
Unculturedman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:26 pm Reply with quote
poltroon wrote:
I think there are a lot of people interested in complex and thoughtful stories and characters. An element of shojo that is a typical thread IME is a focus on relationships between characters. That doesn't mean there can't be action, action is fine and great too, girls like action, but it's not the only thing happening.

Also I appreciate a show without vapid (or worse abusive) fanservice. I don't mind fanservice per se - who doesn't love a good looking character - but vapidity, ugh.

Relationships and characterbuilding of course sneak in to series in other genres - Jujitsu Kaisen for example completely aces it while still being action/horror and doing those well too.

I don’t really understand this take. I have never had any interest in Shojo, but many half decent Shonen for the past several decades have had good character relationships, solid character development and complex narratives. When action is done right in a meaningful way, it can add tremendously to all of these things.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:27 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Gee, it's almost like people are tired of all the boiler-plate isekai stuff and recognize that shoujo titles do have an audience outside of Japan, and always have had one.

Indeed. I'm intrigued and cautiously hopeful for this recognition.
SpiritSmoocher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Shojo having a chance? Last season barely anyone watched akebi so the show is likely getting cancelled. Idol animes rank at the bottom at mal for viewership next to card game.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:16 am Reply with quote
SpiritSmoocher wrote:
Shojo having a chance? Last season barely anyone watched akebi so the show is likely getting cancelled. Idol animes rank at the bottom at mal for viewership next to card game.

Akebi is a seinen which just goes to show how little these demographics matter outside of magazine.

Though barely anyone watched it? It has 112k members on mal which is better than even Sasaki and Miyano or Princess Connect Redive Season 2 which were fan favorites
SpiritSmoocher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:28 am Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:

Akebi is a seinen which just goes to show how little these demographics matter outside of magazine.

Though barely anyone watched it? It has 112k members on mal which is better than even Sasaki and Miyano or Princess Connect Redive Season 2 which were fan favorites

You have to look at it relatively. Vs other the other shows in winter, it ranked very low in members. Also there were no reports that it lead to an increase in mangs sales. Be warned this is aniplex and they tend to have higher expectatuons. They bailed on 7ds when the movie only made $5 mill. Of you search akebi season 2, you will see it may have been doomed from the start. Priconne is connected to a gacha game so it will likely survive if theh choose to continue another season. I am not saying this show is bad. I just dont see it continueing
livin_large

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:04 pm Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:

I disagree. Some people were upset with the fanservice and other for-men aspects in Akebi so if they were recommended Akebi as a shoujo series for girls then that would no doubt catch them by surprise and maybe turn them off. Target demographic is usually a good sign of the content and audience a show is aiming for. Rent-A-Girlfriend is a romance series, but as a shounen romance it's going to focus on things differently and have different content than a shoujo romance like Kimi ni Todoke. Granted, there's also some shoujo that leans into male-oriented fanservice territory as well like the magical girl sub-genre of shoujo like Sailor Moon and Precure, but overall I would say demographics are still important and useful for categorizing things: especially if we're going to get into the realm of people complaining about shows like Akebi or Sono Bisque Doll having fanervice and other elements they don't like. It's important to set a stance that a show is for a specific demographic and isn't necessarily made for everyone.
SpiritSmoocher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:40 pm Reply with quote
livin_large wrote:

I disagree. Some people were upset with the fanservice and other for-men aspects in Akebi so if they were recommended Akebi as a shoujo series for girls then that would no doubt catch them by surprise and maybe turn them off. Target demographic is usually a good sign of the content and audience a show is aiming for. Rent-A-Girlfriend is a romance series, but as a shounen romance it's going to focus on things differently and have different content than a shoujo romance like Kimi ni Todoke. Granted, there's also some shoujo that leans into male-oriented fanservice territory as well like the magical girl sub-genre of shoujo like Sailor Moon and Precure, but overall I would say demographics are still important and useful for categorizing things: especially if we're going to get into the realm of people complaining about shows like Akebi or Sono Bisque Doll having fanervice and other elements they don't like. It's important to set a stance that a show is for a specific demographic and isn't necessarily made for everyone.

When I watched Akebi, it felt way too shojo or moe for my taste. I didn't see a single male character talking. It's art also didn't feel appealing to me vs other series. The eyes were so wide it threw off face proportions. If it wasn't done by cloverworks, it would probably drop significantly in viewership and ratings. Same can be said with love live which has experienced extreme ratings drop after sunshine.

Successful series nowadays tend to have a mix of shonen and bishojo in it. It if leans too far into shojo, it will be the opposite of shonen which will instantly turn off people. If it is far too shonen, it will need to perform to an extreme since shonen are often done by big name studios and producers with big expectations. Otherwise the shonen will get canned like magi, blue exorcist (done and dropped by Aniplex).

Shows like Fate, SAO, Date A Live, Re Zero, Gridman has a lot of bishojo in it with attractive and visually stunning female characters, but also a lot of cool fights, and cool male characters. This makes it have cross generational appeal, sell female figures. But that is just my take. Pure shonen series has a seen a big decrease in market share in the 2010s.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4