• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Winter 2022 Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone else have issues with the subs not playing halfway through episode 1 of Slow Loop on Funimation's Roku app?
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Does anyone else have issues with the subs not playing halfway through episode 1 of Slow Loop on Funimation's Roku app?

I watched it on my phone, but I've had that with the two other shows I've tried to watch on Funimation via my Roku. Had to switch to my laptop, which makes it way harder to concentrate.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:

Hey, Slow Loop is no slouch either.

Shouting into the wilderness, since most western audiences (including most of the ANN reviewers) find this genre boring, which is why it predominately comes from Japan and nowhere else.

Slow Loop is the only show to make me care about the characters enough to already be wanting three seasons to get the girls through high school (might or might not feel the same way about My Dress-Up Darling after three episodes). This year's replacement for Super Cub for me, and that says a lot since I have only fished a couple of times in my life and was bored by it, while I have three motorcycles in the garage and several thousand dollars worth of riding gear in the mud room.

meiam wrote:

Dress up seems fun but I always hated manic pixy girl fix loser guy life, especially after laid back camp sorta had that with Nadeshiko except it realize that not every loner is desperate to become super popular and outgoing.

I never saw Shima Rin as unhappy, just that becoming friends with Nadeshiko opened up a lot of new things to her (and also did the same for Nadeshiko). For a dynamic similar to Yuru CampΔ, substitute Hiyori and Koharu from Slow Loop for Rin and Nadeshiko.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Not surprised by initial reviewer reactions to that one, as I also felt there was a more fetishy/fan service-y aspect than I was expecting for that kind of series. I also agree with James that the fan service aspect is more unsettling here (and certainly feels more out of place) than it was in My Dress-Up Darling. I was bothered more by the character design aesthetic, but I do think it could shape up to be a sweet series if it doesn't dwell on the fetish aspect it has shown so far.

ThrowMeOut wrote:

Akebi's Sailor Uniform is definitely fetish material. Straight up. It's somehow creepier when they try to hide it behind a veneer of artistry (and it does look really nice). I'd rather the show just blatantly shake some boobs in my face. Or in this case, feet.

blameitonStarBlazers wrote:

Boy, did I have different reactions from the reviewers on the remaining shows. I found Akebi's Sailor Uniform to be charming and sweet—and so lovely to look at (though I really wish Gojo-San from My Dress-Up Darling would refit that sailor uniform!).

I did not find the emphasis on feet in Akebi's Sailor Uniform to be anything more than slightly eccentric - compared to the real world (e.g., Marc Paul Alain Dutroux is only scratching the surface of bad things done to children in "tall towers") this is harmless.

P.S. What did Star Blazers do (I only saw the first episode before switching to Uchū Senkan Yamato with English subtitles, but understand other than dubbing and some minor cuts the two are the same)?
myfairx

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Slow loop is the one to watch for me.

The first episode invoke a familiar feeling. From Yuru Camp to Teibo Nisshi to something else (like Kamichu or Onegai Twins). The character lingering sadness feels nostalgic although I can't pinpoint why. Almost the same feeling when watching Akebi Uniform. But I probably drop Akebi though. Something off with the anime whole idea. Visually it reminds me a lot of 90s / early 2000 anime traits

Still catching up with everything else.

*edit

I think I finally understands why (although not important anyway)

All this anime emphasise lots of water in their background, seaside, lake etc. Hmm
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I guess all the reviewers were smart enough to read the synopsis of The Adventures of Super Sage before watching it, because walking into it with nothing but the title, I had no idea what was going on. A mage blasts a dragon, ticks off the different crests and muses how weak his is, and the only help for it is...to turn into a beam of light and skip town! Then suddenly we're in a wagon with a kid who's got that coveted #4 crest and we're off on a different adventure! There was nothing to tell me that the kid was the mage, that his original name was Gaius, or that his solution to his crest problem was reincarnation. I thought the opening sequence was just world-dump for the kid's adventures in magecraft or something, until they finally threw me a bone near the end of the episode. I know I'm pretty dense, but I think the writers still took an awful lot of foreknowledge for granted. Anyway, I'm not really enamored with it, but I'll likely give it a couple more episodes.

Real Doll Cosplay was a surprise. It didn't sound like it would interest me (seemed very Smile Down the Runway from the bits I'd read about it) but since so many people were anticipating it, I figured I'd have a look. And oh my, as someone who makes their own figures of characters who aren't popular enough to get commercially made ones, this is actually kinda right in my wheelhouse. Shocked

I could also relate to Wakana's feelings about staying out of people's way. Rather than worried that people will see him as weird, he seems more concerned that he will make them uncomfortable if he tries to connect, since he'd either just be lurking or talking about stuff they don't care about and forcing them to politely pretend to be listening. And that's not an entirely internally sourced fear, because people do pretend while hoping you just shut up and go away already.

Miss Mattel's Thingmaker is a pass. I felt like it kept almost being funny, but then...the moment passed and it wasn't. Never really been a fan of tokusatsu in the first place, so this one's just not made for me.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:33 am Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

I watched it on my phone, but I've had that with the two other shows I've tried to watch on Funimation via my Roku. Had to switch to my laptop, which makes it way harder to concentrate.

Same problem with Funy on my two Rokus. With Police in a Pod it started right after the cussing ended, with Girls' Frontline they went away after the opening credits. This happened off and on during last season, and sometimes in other seasons. Logging into the site with my desktop works when the Roku app has problems, for me. I don't like it at all.

I imagine it's too much to hope that Sony spends the money and gets this fixed.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:42 am Reply with quote
That's probably an issue with the way Funi does translations of on-screen text, then. It's enough of a timing mess when it's on a computer, but I wouldn't be surprised if it just totally fails in some contexts.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:53 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I guess all the reviewers were smart enough to read the synopsis of The Adventures of Super Sage before watching it, because walking into it with nothing but the title, I had no idea what was going on. A mage blasts a dragon, ticks off the different crests and muses how weak his is, and the only help for it is...to turn into a beam of light and skip town! Then suddenly we're in a wagon with a kid who's got that coveted #4 crest and we're off on a different adventure! There was nothing to tell me that the kid was the mage, that his original name was Gaius, or that his solution to his crest problem was reincarnation.

Well, Rebecca did wrote that:
Quote:
I feel like I may have an unfair advantage here for having read the manga adaptation of The Strongest Sage With the Weakest Crest. That's because, while I completely understand the decision to skip the beginning of the story, the resulting episode is totally without context.

So I assume your experience was typical and will avoid that one, since the plot doesn't seem to be entertaining enough to bother anyway.

I didn't mind the sniffing in Akebi, since it did seem like just the thing someone can come up with when nervous and realize it's horribly embarrassing if someone sees you once it's too late. I get the other criticisms, though.

From Richard's review about "Takagi-san"
Quote:
That said, if the two ever do get together, I'd actually tune in for a few episodes. I'd love to see how their dynamic changes as a couple—especially if he can get his inadequacies sorted out.

They actually have a manga spin-off about their married life with daughter, with similar dynamics except daughter is sometimes more on Takagi's side, sometimes on Nishikata's, sometimes gets pranked too along with him. It would be interesting if that was adapted someday as well. Be warned though, the way Nishikata behaves with his wife you'd be surprised he ever managed to get her pregnant.

"Miss Kuroitsu" was a pleasant surprise, and I don't even care about Sentai/Kamen Riders, though I know enough by osmosis to get what they're parodying here. It got plenty of laughs from me, and I hope for romantic plot full of antics.

"Dress-up Darling" was fortunately as great as I hoped, so that's one sure hit this season. Combined with "Takagi-san 3", "Kuroitsu-san" as good comedy and "World End Harem" as Ex-ARM style unintentional one, at least there is something to watch this season, though I'll probably catch up on stuff I missed from Fall season.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:58 am Reply with quote
Not sure if we are meant to consider wolf-boy as trans, since as they said he has a male brain, and yet is still being used as female based fanservice.
Cryten

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:10 am Reply with quote
I really hope that cloverworks doesnt collapse in on itself again with all the ambitious shows running parallel. Like it did on wonder egg. I guess it will depend on how many contractors they secured but its still a worry.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:26 am Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate wrote:
P.S. What did Star Blazers do (I only saw the first episode before switching to Uchū Senkan Yamato with English subtitles, but understand other than dubbing and some minor cuts the two are the same)?

I’m guessing that you’re reacting to their screen name? I’m going to go out on limb and guess that their name is probably meant to be tongue-in-cheek to mean that they blame Star Blazers for them becoming an anime fan.
Kirki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:17 am Reply with quote
Tokyo 24th Ward: There went 48 minutes of my life I'm never going to get back. I should have trusted my gut and dropped this in its first 10 minutes. Pretty colors, but that was about it. Very frustrating that it was always in the verge of "almost", as one reviewer said. Almost good, almost engaging, but never there. Pass.

Takagi-san S3: I was never a Takagi-san fan. I watched S1 because everyone praised it, and S2 because it was on Netflix and I had nothing else to watch at the time. It's was never exactly a chore for me, but I still can't shake the feeling that a series of basically just two people bantering would work better as 5-10 min. shorts. Still, Nishikata's fever dream of Takagi dressed up as a cow among other things was still more fun and engaging than most of what I've seen so far in the season. Smash.

My Dress Up Darling: I'm really torn on whether I should follow this. On one hand, I feel the MC's plight on a very personal level, because in some way, I too felt cut out of the rest of my small society in all of my teenage years because I liked watching anime and nobody else did back then. Not being able to share your hobby, and even being shamed for it, especially in these years, hurts a lot and leaves you with a ton of issues because it feels like society is rejecting you altogether. So it's pretty cathartic even now to watch the MC find his place and his happiness. It's also unbelievably beautiful in the designs and animation department. On the other hand, it's clearly not meant for me in the way it goes about it and it definitely will be misrepresenting some things in the depiction of female fans because its goal is to be an escapist shounen romance fantasy about male fans and the male experience of this spectrum. Which is really not a secret, it's rather upfront and honest about who it's trying to cater to. Boy that is lonely and depressed because nobody gets his hobby? Nerd alert check. Pretty girl that feels way out of his league falling right in front of him out of the blue? Check. Pretty girl has also some obscure hobby that's basically a nerdy guy's perfect dream? Also check. Panty shots? Check.

Well, the more I write about it, I conclude that I probably won't be following. Maybe I'll come back to it when it's finished if it gets good reviews altogether. So... Pending.

Miss Kuroitsu from the Monster Development Department: As someone said before, the comedy is kind of weak if you're not into sentai series. Pass.
lilitu93
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:23 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

I have that happen all the time on Funimation and have to change to using my Switch or PS4 to finish the episode. It’s happened with the first episodes of both Slow Loop and Police in a Pod, but I’ve had it happen with other episodes for the past year or so. It seems to happen when there are two sets of subtitles on the screen at once (like signs and someone talking or two people talking), but it isn’t consistent.

I’m pretty sure it’s been reported to Funimation, but they haven’t bothered to fix it. That’s part of the reason I’m glad that more shows are on both Funi and Crunchyroll as Crunchy’s subtitles don’t do that or have the huge black bar covering up the animation, even if they are hard subs on Roku.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:32 am Reply with quote
Kirki wrote:

My Dress Up Darling: On the other hand, it's clearly not meant for me in the way it goes about it and it definitely will be misrepresenting some things in the depiction of female fans because its goal is to be an escapist shounen romance fantasy about male fans and the male experience of this spectrum. Which is really not a secret, it's rather upfront and honest about who it's trying to cater to. Boy that is lonely and depressed because nobody gets his hobby? Nerd alert check. Pretty girl that feels way out of his league falling right in front of him out of the blue? Check. Pretty girl has also some obscure hobby that's basically a nerdy guy's perfect dream? Also check. Panty shots? Check.

Well, the more I write about it, I conclude that I probably won't be following. Maybe I'll come back to it when it's finished if it gets good reviews altogether. So... Pending.

I'm a reader of Sono Bisque Doll (My Dress Up Darling) manga so I hope I can remove some of your doubts about this anime.
If the anime follows the manga:
First, the audience it cater is Seinen (young adult), so you can get developments more interesting than the usual Shonen rom/com romance fantasy. This is more a hobby related manga that caters to a older audience. There are some ecchi moments but they are rare and not too intrusive

And the romance part is not the main part. Yes there are some romance but the main part of the plot is about their cosplay hobby. How they make the costumes, how cosplay events work, how the pictures are made, how cosplay photo-sessions works and also the relationship with other cosplayers.
And you will meet many cosplayers including crossplayers (males that dress as female characters and females the dress as male characters) and how they can make that so realistic. I know cosplayers that sometimes also make crossplay and they loved how that was so realistic in the manga.
There also the element of Wakana growth and how he faces his trauma.

So what you have is Sono Bisque Doll is more a hobby anime about an hobby that sometimes are not understood by the society with some romantic elements.

If you like cosplay and want to know more about it you will love this anime.

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 19