• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Banished from the Hero's Party

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cryten

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:01 am Reply with quote
Well the impetus of them progressing their relationship and, ya know, sleeping together got across quite well.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:26 am Reply with quote
You can definitely tell that they're rushing through things a bit. Earlier they made it a point to focus on the two beds, so you'd think it'd be brought up again, but instead it just appears in their house.
Not surprising that the source did bring it up.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:50 am Reply with quote
I could have sworn they talked about having their carpenter friend make them a sturdy double bed several episodes ago. Did I dream that?
Picky33

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:27 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I could have sworn they talked about having their carpenter friend make them a sturdy double bed several episodes ago. Did I dream that?
They did, and he along with most of the village gave them shit for hooking up with Rit.

Reviewer wrote:
So, it seems as if there is a civil war within the demons with the current Demon King going against his or her Blessing. This throws everything into confusion about who the “bad guys” actually are.
This feels to me like the Contract Demon was trying to save his ass over what's actually happening.

I suspect the last couple episodes will involve Ruti taking more of the drug and Gideon attacking her after she's taken too much and can not put a good fight. it seems odd that they haven't mentioned Gideon much in the last couple episodes.
Cryten

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Now this was an episode I really enjoyed. The thematic elements had time to breath unlike the last 3 eps. With that the extra weight to Ruti, Gideon, Rit and Tisse conflicted emotions shone through. This episode felt like the calm before the real emotional storm of a coming conflict.

I just hope I dont end up on the wrong side of the conflict. Because I am all for Gideon defending his new life. I am all for him operating to the best of his abilities but I think he has created a life he wants to live and I admire that. I would be saddened if the moral becomes he should just be with his sister at the cost to himself. This episode gave me real hope that Ruti can find a life of her own beyond her blessing.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:56 pm Reply with quote
I also enjoyed this one a lot- A lot of that was because of Tisse. Poor Assassin-turned-Hero Friend was sweating buckets for the entire first part of the episode, and her panicked thoughts were kinda hilarious. And really sweet by the end of it.
Melicans

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:51 am Reply with quote
Another well-done episode; if I had one small criticism, it would be that they seemed to rush Tisse's realization that Ruti was confused about scaring her over Mr. Crawly-Wawly a bit. It felt a little more natural of a flow in the book and slightly too quick here. But with that said, I also thought it was one of the more pivotal moments in the episode that really cemented their relationship as friends.

Ruti's conversation with Rit was also very eye-opening, and I'm not sure it is something she would have been capable of saying prior to taking the drug. It shows that she isn't cold and emotionless; she does feel things, she is just incapable of expressing them because they are irrelevant for her 'Blessing'. They are trapped inside a lonely girl, and though her ability to show them may gradually be getting better the 'Blessing' will keep fighting against her.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see Tisse getting some appreciation--she's among the best parts of the LN. i wonder, though, did the anime mention her spoiler[side gig]? It's a small, inconsequential detail, but I loved it. Felt very Terry Pratchett-like, which was nice in an an otherwise fairly serious story.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if Red ever thought about what Ruti and the rest of the party was going through with him gone. Like, he assumed they'd be fine without him but did he not realize how emotionally dependent Ruti was on him? Or what she was feeling about her own Blessing? Seems like he kind of washed his hands of his responsibilities for his own emotional health, but that seems to be going around a lot on this show.

I really wonder how Red and Rit will react to when they learn Ruti and Tisse broke the guy out the prison to make more of the drug they just dealt with. Maybe Red can make his own concoction but shouldn't there be consequences to the jailbreak? And now Shasandan is looking into the area where they're planning to make more on the sly. How does this not blow up in some form or another?

Well, Ares has officially lost it, but Theodora and Albert seem to have bonded (and Albert is still alive). Theodora has an interesting take on Blessing's to where, if someone was to be defined purely by their Blessing, why even give humans free will?

Tisse continues to be hilarious. Mr. Crawly Crawly is adorable. Her being into baths and thinking Ruti and Rit might kill each other was perfect, and I love how she and Ruti are genuinely becoming friends.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Best episode up to now, good balance between funny, lovely and sad.

I know some people don't like the fan service but I like when characters who are "emptying" their hearts to be naked as a visual manifestation of being completely defenseless.

Also, I got strong Medaka Box vides here about how being a hero and placing everyone's happiness above yours it's self-destructive and how society it's egoistical by demanding the hero to sacrifice himself for it.

Medaka Box it's really the best deconstruction of Shounen Manga under all that ecchi and I wonder if it influenced Banished in some way.
Melicans

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
Glad to see Tisse getting some appreciation--she's among the best parts of the LN. i wonder, though, did the anime mention her spoiler[side gig]? It's a small, inconsequential detail, but I loved it. Felt very Terry Pratchett-like, which was nice in an an otherwise fairly serious story.

Do you mean her bath reviews? If so then yes (and it even makes a glimpse in the OP).
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:50 am Reply with quote
Great episode. A little surprised Red didn't react more to seeing Ruti, but I guess he was more shocked than anything.

Once the demon lord is defeated, I wonder how free (or not) Ruti will be from her blessing. Red is now free of being the Hero's guide and is doing what he wants, so will Ruti become more human once her job is done? Of course it could be that her job can never be done because a hero is always needed...

I understand that the bath was only so big, but I felt a bit bad for Tisse being stuck in the clothes wash basin looking tub.

When it comes to automatons vs free will regarding blessings, you could possibly argue that someone with free will could make better use of their blessing than someone without. If you want to be pessimistic about it Laughing

Picky33 wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
They did, and he along with most of the village gave them shit for hooking up with Rit.

Oh? Guess I missed that or forgot it by this point...
Aerodynamic41

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But with all of what is thrown at us this episode, what's far more shocking is what isn't: the villains' motivations. While we've seen Ares act like an ass from episode one, we know next to nothing about him. We don't know his history—what drove him to join the heroes' party to save the world. And given the nature of Blessings, we don't even know how much of his personality comes from his Blessing and how much of it comes from him. As another person with a rare and powerful Blessing, he could be as much of a slave as Ruti has been—and is only able to act in ways that will continue the mission to save the world. It's easy to hate him for being a dick to Red but the man is clearly mentally unstable at this point and may not be responsible for his actions. I don't know if I should feel happy or if I should pity him as Ruti runs him through.

There are two parts in Vol. 4 of the LN that I think are crucial to understanding Ares' character and that the anime completely cut: The Prologue which shows the moment when Gideon first introduced Ruti to him and the beginning of Chapter 3 which reveals his backstory. Both are written in first-person perspective from Ares' point of view so you'll have to read them to know exactly what Ares is thinking.
Cryten

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:30 pm Reply with quote
The contrasts between the episodes that give its themes time to breath and these fast forward episodes is quite stark. Where last episode I could appreciate how Tisse and Ruti had complicated emotions and difficult times, I got none of that from any character this episode.

All in all I think the anime has had a hard time expressing peoples motivations. Over the entire set of episodes Red has barely expressed anything about how he feels about Rit and Ruti beyond the last few episodes him saying he will protect Rit and his life. Ares has just been karmically punished the whole series for daring to get in the road of the main character Gideon's sensibleness. Rit has been the best explained so I have no problems there at all and Ruti by nature cannot express herself. Thank god for the last 2 episodes not including the current to explore Tisse as she was a character study like no other in the series.
Melicans

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:27 pm Reply with quote
This weeks review was quite interesting for me. It is probably because I know this part of the story so well, but I didn't feel it was as crammed as expressed. I do wonder what my thoughts of this week would be if I had not read volume 4 a few times beforehand. Going from a perfect 5 stars to just 2 is quite a significant drop.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 12