• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Detective Conan / Case Closed.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrdAdmiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:00 am Reply with quote
I've been a huge fan of Detective Conan "Case Closed" for about 5 years now. Guess you could say I was a bit of a late bloomer, but my first interaction with it was when it first aired as "Case Closed" on Adult Swim. I also have all of the VIZ currently released Manga. I've seen most of the "Detective Conan" episodes, all 7 OVA's and all 11 of the Movies so far.

I was wondering if anyone knows if Funimation is going to continue its releases of "Case Closed?" Its been well over 1.5 years now from the last series release, and the 2nd movie was just released by them last year. I was really hoping that they would not let the series rights expire either.

The VIZ manga is a little further along in the story arc then the Funimation series. Which is a good thing, but I'd really like to see more of the show.

I personally felt that Cartoon Network didn't really give the show the justice that it deserved. Advertising for the show at the time was pretty much non existent and I only happend to come across it being on Night Shift at the time and having lunch. I know the series really starts to pick up later on with the introduction of some new charcters, spoiler[Ai Kun, Jodie Sinclair, Vermouth, and a few others. Smile] and there is a lot of filler in between. But the Metropolitan Love Story Arcs are some of my favorites, as well as the courtroom battles. I only wish there was some more interaction between the parents and the kids. (Mainly Ran and Kudo) I personally believe that if Cartoon Network would have at least aired past episode 129 "The Girl from the Black Organization and The University Professor Murder Case" then I believe the fan base would have built up a lot more. Especially once the story started to follow the main track, and a lot of the filler was removed. I still enjoy the show, and declare it to be one of my all time favorites.

If anyone else would like to discuss this show in depth, please reply, as I am always looking for other fans of the show. Smile

Also, if anyone happens to know of a place that sells figurines or collectible figures of the characters from Detective Conan, please let me know. I've been dying to get my hands on a Ran Mouri figure for ever!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animastryfe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:41 pm Reply with quote
I have been a fan of this show since it started airing....which was in about 1996. But I generally watch the Chinese dub version of it (I buy the DVDs in China), which is actually very very good, at least in my opinion.

I agree, once spoiler[Ai Haibara] appears, the series picks up more in terms of the main plot. The anime is supposed to be very episodic, and I don't feel that there's actually any filler like Bleach and Naruto had, although some of the solutions would not work.
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I love Detective Conan, I enjoy every episode, The cases are exciting and fun. Although the series is way too long, I don't know if I can watch every episodes. But I'm collecting Case Close Movies which are awesome.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GrdAdmiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Animastryfe wrote:
I agree, once spoiler[Ai Haibara] appears, the series picks up more in terms of the main plot. The anime is supposed to be very episodic, and I don't feel that there's actually any filler like Bleach and Naruto had, although some of the solutions would not work.

I actually didn't mean filler in the same context as Bleach. There are a lot of cases that are for TV only, which I understand, and I agree the series is very episodic as well. The filler I was referring to, is a lot of the cases in between the episodic episodes. Smile From episode 1 to 129, there are only 7 episodes that actually follow the main plot line, or introduce new characters that are important over all. The rest of the 122 episodes all are "cases" which are good and fun to solve. How ever, there are a lot of them, and a lot of TV only cases not in the Manga that I consider filler. Maybe using filler was a bad example. I just am not sure what to call them.
ShadowTrader

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Detective Conan is on my list as one of the best long running series. Even though it has a lot of filler episodes, I still enjoyed every episode for its entertaining cases. I have only seen up to episode 203, because after that the subbed episodes that are online get really scarce and I don't like continuing a series with missing episodes. Does anyone know where I can watch all subbed episodes online from 203+? I understand you could order some DVD's or download torrents from a few places but I just don't trust those services. So if anyone can oblige me I'd really appreciate it.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:14 pm Reply with quote
I've always loved Detective Conan. It was my second manga I've ever read, and I've read about 40 of the manga.

I saw the first thirty or so dubbed episodes, but I infinitely enjoy reading the manga to watching the anime, and DC's the only series I can say that about. The anime just never gave me enough time to find the perpetrator. I liked the pacing of reading the mysteries more.

That, and with the exception of "Detective Moore" and "Rachel," the dub was unexemplary, especially by Funimation standards. Gin...or was it Vodka? The long-haired thug sounded completely un-threatening in particular.

I still love the show and the books, though. Favorite case is the one where spoiler[Amy gets locked in the trunk of a "killer's" car and Kudo, Mitch and George have to chase her down on a skateboard to save her. I love this one because the ending caught me totally by surprise, made me laugh really hard, and it's not as formulaic as the other shows, really.]
Bunchuu of Chouka

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:12 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Funimation plans to release any more Case Closed, unfortunately.
I met Chris Bevins at a recent convention and I think I remember him saying something about Funimation no longer working on Case Closed, and how it was a shame.
Perhaps we'll see some more of the movies, but I'd guess that's about it.
I'm a big fan of the show, and I've got nearly all of Funimation's releases. Sadly, they only released the first 83 episodes.
Animastryfe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:32 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
The anime just never gave me enough time to find

The slogan for this anime is (at least in Chinese): "See who can find the murder first". Unfortunately, many/some of the cases have key evidence that they do not show you, which makes catching the murderer (almost) impossible.
GrdAdmiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:40 am Reply with quote
Bunchuu of Chouka wrote:
I met Chris Bevins at a recent convention and I think I remember him saying something about Funimation no longer working on Case Closed, and how it was a shame.
Perhaps we'll see some more of the movies, but I'd guess that's about it.

I'd have to say that, it would be a real shame to not release the entire series. How ever, I guess I could be contempt with just the movie releases, if they did those. Movie 4 is by far one of my favorites out of all of them. Even with just the movies, it would at least progress the story further, introduce more of the characters, and maybe build more of a fan base so they can try the series again.

I just hate it, when you get a good series started, and it never finishes. Even worse, when the company doesn't even bother to give any information to their fans.
Twilight's Chapter 13

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:25 am Reply with quote
I love this Anime...Even though it is by far too long for me to sit down and watch every episode...I do have the manga though...IIRC we're up to 59 tankebuns now...I've yet till find another series with that many...
AF-SOKA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:12 pm Reply with quote
I love this Anime soooo much , I was huge fan of it since I was a kid and still
specially kaitou kid ~ ـــ ^
I saw all The movies and I keep wondering when will The End come??
I hope soon ><
GrdAdmiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:10 pm Reply with quote
AF-SOKA wrote:
I love this Anime soooo much , I was huge fan of it since I was a kid and still
specially kaitou kid ~ ـــ ^
I saw all The movies and I keep wondering when will The End come??
I hope soon ><

I don't really want the series to end, I just want a little closure. Smile I love the movies, and I hope they continue. Plus, there is so much they can do after the gets big again. Smile
Animastryfe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:25 pm Reply with quote
The series creator has stated that he knows what the ending will be and how it's going to all fit, but he has not said when it will end.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:31 pm Reply with quote
When they run out of ways to milk it for money, of course. That series is insanely well-loved and lucrative in Japan. No way they'd cut it short if it continues to do well, repetitiveness or no.

Actually, it's the only insanely long series I can tolerate because it IS episodic, and has little to no plot obligations to fulfill or overly draw out. It did irritate me when they would tease you with info on the syndicate men in black and then go, "Naw, we're yanking your chain. This is just another normal case." Twisted Evil Crying or Very sad

But other than that, nothing keeping you in suspense, no disappointments over filler arcs. Yay. Razz
GrdAdmiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:08 am Reply with quote
Some of the filler arcs are nice though. I love the Metropolitan Police Love Stories. Smile Hopefully those two will finally get together. Smile Although I wouldn't mind seeing more of the relationship between Kazuha and Heiji develop as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2