• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hiro Mashima's Edens Zero Manga Gets TV Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Hansond Jaysond Lee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:50 am Reply with quote
I'm not familiar at all with this manga. Is this a continuation of Fairy Tail or an alternate universe version?
All the characters look exactly the same as the Fairy Tail ones.
Imma lose my s**t if this is a new IP that has no relation to Fairy Tail whatsoever 'cause the author straight up just plagiarized his own work.
Sekaro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:51 am Reply with quote
I'm not the only one seeing this, right? The black-haired boy looks like a mashup of Gray and Natsu. Likewise with the blond-haired dude. The twin-tailed girl looks like a combination of Wendy and D. Va from Overwatch. And the cat is literally just Happy Anime hyper
nDroae

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:03 am Reply with quote
Oh perfect, now people who didn't already go through this with the manga can go through it with the anime.

The short version is someone says it's like this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osamu_Tezuka%27s_Star_System
With a recommendation to read or at least watch Hiro Mashima's pre-Fairy Tail series Rave Master.

And then someone else says "Sure, but that doesn't change the fact that Edens Zero is creatively bankrupt and bad."

I liked what I read of it. My having never read/seen Fairy Tail might have helped, y'think?
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:14 am Reply with quote
The Hansond Jaysond Lee wrote:
I'm not familiar at all with this manga. Is this a continuation of Fairy Tail or an alternate universe version?
Imma lose my s**t if this is a new IP that has no relation to Fairy Tail whatsoever 'cause the author straight up just plagiarized his own work.

Well, Rave and Fairy Tail share the same world and both share the same universe with Eden's Zero, they have 0 relation outside of that.

Eden's Zero it's darker than FT, more or less in the same level as Rave, there are a couple of scenes in EZ that are darker than Rave actually.

Regarding the look-alikeness... it's a complain I don't get, not because it is false, it's 100% true, but because EVERY mangaka does the same, it's a real complain I see a lot and legit don't get it so I would love if somebody can explain to me why it's OK for every other mangaka to use the same design again and again but it's wrong for Mashima to do the same.

If somebody can spot the diference between the 20 Gokus, Takanes, Ranmas, Hurameshis, Sakuras, etc that Toriyama, Kurumada, Takahashi, Togashi CLAMP, etc have done, well, congrats because I can't.

I mean, hell, Deku is nothing but gender-bended Hana.
immblueversion

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:23 am Reply with quote

It has as much in common with Fairy Tail as Fairy Tail has with Mashima's first manga series, Rave Master: tons of references (to both manga), and a few elements deliberately taken from them (Plue was actually Rave's mascot and came from Mashima's very first one-shot, "Magician", and Jellal's whole design and character is a send-up to Rave character Sieg Hart, as are other things like Etherion and the Oracion Seis), but it's set in an entirely different fantasy world (space fantasy) with its own rules and story to tell, as well as a much darker tone.

Now, the first couple of chapters do lean somewhat into Fairy Tail-ishness, and the manga was a bit infamously translated by a certain scanlation group so that all the characters said the word "friends" more often than they actually do (the main lead is obsessed with making friends, but it's treated more as a gag and only applies to him), but as the story goes on, it becomes clear that any blatant similarities are only skin-deep. For instance, there's a scene where the main character joins a guild just to establish how different it is from Fairy Tail and irrelevant to the story, barring a small handful of characters.

While I've managed to stomach Fairy Tail's final arcs a little better by the time the anime ended, this manga actually restored a lot of my faith in Mashima as a writer, and currently has no signs of stopping that. Maybe he'll goof it up down the line like Fairy Tail, but he's shown that he's put more thought into Edens Zero's storyline than Fairy Tail's more aimless but still generally enjoyable ride (by his own admission). It's definitely stronger than anything Mashima has written in the past five years, and I hope the anime will do it justice.
immblueversion

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:32 am Reply with quote
nDroae wrote:
Oh perfect, now people who didn't already go through this with the manga can go through it with the anime.

The short version is someone says it's like this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osamu_Tezuka%27s_Star_System
With a recommendation to read or at least watch Hiro Mashima's pre-Fairy Tail series Rave Master.

And then someone else says "Sure, but that doesn't change the fact that Edens Zero is creatively bankrupt and bad."

I liked what I read of it. My having never read/seen Fairy Tail might have helped, y'think?

People mostly think of the later arcs of Fairy Tail, especially the last one, where it was clear Mashima was getting burned out and stretching the story way too thin. That's mainly because he never had a road map for the story; just a random assortment of ideas he wanted to try out, adjusting to whatever he felt the readers wanted.

But unlike Fairy Tail, Mashima has has a general outline for the story of Edens Zero with all the major plot points set firmly in stone, but how the story gets to those points is where Mashima works his FT-ish "I'll come up with something when I get to it" stuff. For example, you can kind of tell with the arc where the characters look for Hermit that their goal, her backstory, and the conclusion were fully intended, but the entire plot involving the SAO-like game world and the serial-killing online troll was more of an afterthought to flesh those core elements out, later tying some of those afterthoughts more neatly into the plot as required.
MetalGarurumon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:25 am Reply with quote
Currently the only battle shonen that is not trash along with Chainsawman. Good news.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:26 am Reply with quote
I am exicited for the animation, specifically Shiki’s machina.

Hope they animate it with some dope special effects.
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:43 am Reply with quote

Mashima is one of those author who treat his characters like actors rather than characters. They play difference roles while still look the same.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:36 am Reply with quote
YAY, GLAD TO SEE OFFICIAL CONFIRMATION!
I'm definitely looking forward to watching this whenever it comes out. And hopefully it'll be picked up here for a dub. I mean, I'm sure it will be, and I'm more than sure that Funimation will be the one to fight the hardest to get it, given their success with Fairy Tail.

The only concern I do have, with the idea of Funi doing a dub, is them casting a lot of the same VAs to do the main roles as they did in Fairy Tail. I do agree, Mashima hasn't made a lot of changes to how the main characters look compared to Fairy Tail (I admit, I was one of the people that was like "Shiki looks like Natsu, Rebecca looks like Lucy!"), but the story went on, they're definitely different in many ways to their look-alikes. I think the only voice I'd be okay on repeating would be Tia Ballard as Happy, because... well, it's Happy. It'd actually be funny to have them sound the same, especially if - somewhere WAY down the line - Heroes' got an anime adaptation, license, and dubbed. Laughing
Adv193

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Yay, its cool that Edens Zero is finally getting an anime adaption after being with the series just shortly after its premier. Guess it took almost 2 years before this announcement was made.

Though out of the series I read from Hiro Mashima, though Rave Master's anime adaption was never completed, I hope this doesn't happen to this series. I do at least have to thank Kondansha USA for re-releasing Rave Master digitally which allowed me to read and enjoy the whole story. If a reboot of Rave Master were ever officially reported, it would truely be a sight to be seen.
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:57 pm Reply with quote
MetalGarurumon wrote:
Currently the only battle shonen that is not trash along with Chainsawman. Good news.

I disagree with that (you right about Chainsaw Man), Black Clover is above Eden Zero (but I like Eden Zero more) and Mashle Magic & Muscles in the same level as Chainsaw Man.
Anyway, I glad Eden Zero getting an anime. Eden Zero is a fun manga, it reminds me of pre-time skip Fairy Tail.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I never got around to trying the manga, so it's great to see it finally getting animated.

Personally not a fan of the palette swap main character design (it feels lazy to me and I like to see artists showing more than what they've already done), but as long as the the series is enjoyable that won't really matter much after a few minutes of watching.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:29 am Reply with quote
I knew this would be the announcement, but I wanted it to be Rave. It needs an anime remake. 21 years now.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:45 am Reply with quote
Nice!

Rob19ny wrote:
I knew this would be the announcement, but I wanted it to be Rave. It needs an anime remake. 21 years now.

Agreed, it really could use a great remake.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2