• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
A Certain Scientific Accelerator (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:46 pm Reply with quote

A Certain Scientific Accelerator (TV).

Genres: Super Power, Supernatural, Fantasy, School
Themes:

Plot Summary:
Quote:
Accelerator, the most powerful psychic in Academy City, is quietly recovering from his injuries when trouble literally lands in his bedroom. A group of anti-evil zealots who call themselves “DA” are causing havoc, and it could threaten the city―not to mention the entire world. Although he hates to be bothered, a world-shaking threat may be enough to get Accelerator out of bed, especially if it involves the adorable Misaka Mikoto clone, “Last Order.”
(from manga)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TV anime adaptation of the spinoff manga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Well, this was a good follow up to ep1.

It immediately elevated the stakes, had some nice framing and camera work, especially with Accelerator's shadow looming over the DA guy. The effects on the flames was nice though one odd thing of editing: one shot had Accelerator on the ground and the next had him in the air quickly with no transition action like jumping. Seemed odd but workable.

Also nice use of facial animation for Accelerator when the body came out of coffin. good way to show his change in morals.

All and All, i expect a fun plotline with a character that i find better than Touma personally
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Well Accelerator should be more interesting than Touma, who I found myself absolutely bored of in the recent season. Also got a bit dark in the second episode, that had a teenage girl trying to commit suicide, and then drowned, after which her body being put to use.
CrisGer A.A.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:14 am Reply with quote
they are going to have to do really really well to lure me back in after that train wreck of the recent sequel we had to suffer thru. Geez it was bad...and got worse and worse. I hope it wont bleed over on this ..the first ep encouraged me enough to try but work has kept me from watching. I do love the story and the basic characters esp Miss Accelerator..what is not to love about her and her clones...(except for her gay room mate who is just awful why why why did the author insiist on that worn out meme)...so here's hoping next ep is better.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Welp, the third episode had the return of the black wind though it looked a bit better here than in Index III, probably due to some gloss and slight contrast.

the Restaurant scene was adorable: Esther's overly curious personality, Accelerator's matter of fact statements contrasting Last Order's excetment make for some interesting dynamics.

on the more plot related front I'm curious about the twintailed girl, if she is an undead and what Esther has to do with it.

The mech is also interesting as it's a hybrid of magic and science similar to spoiler[the Anti-Arts Armament] from the New Testament sequel LNs

Edit: also seems like Accelerator is contextualizing the magic though the science route which will explain why in the LNs, he won't become versed in the knowledge of magic until the WWIII timeframe
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:42 am Reply with quote
This did seem like the first time that Accelerator has come into contact with magic, and one of the big things about him is that he is really good at science, being able to break things down to their scientific explanations, which he tried doing with explaining the magic.
CrisGer A.A.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Yep Ep 3 got me firmly on board for this. ...this is what i liked about the original several series, smooth, polished animation and settings, great characters and design, exciting story, and nice touches all around. thank you so much JC STaff!!!

i am much relieved.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:26 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

Well, I think that it is safe to say that this was better than Index Season 3, Index III being a total train wreck of way too many things going, and really was just bad. Accelerator was even the best part of Season 3, and his characterization made this something to look forward to. Generally good, looking and sounding as such, but I am not going to be all praises.

Last Order was kind of wasted, she really did not do anything despite how many times they put her on screen to show that she was there. She kind of felt like she was being Touma's Index, just there to be a plot device of the character nebulously wanting to protect, but not really doing anything. This feels of note as this is apparently taking part after Accelerator risked and sacrificed some of his autonomy for Last Order, and found himself being part of a de facto family, the adult also being totally absent to just a few appearances as a patient. I don't think we are really shown what all of this means for him.

To try and look what it did, I am going to look at what the Railgun spinoffs did, and how I would argue its best arc was actually in the second season which recounted events of the Sisters arc from Misaka's point of view, I think it might even touched on Accelerator himself more than originally in the Index version. I am not saying that it should have done that arc again, but I am wondering if they should have considered expanding more directly on the one in Index where he met Last Order, the events right before this series took place. Directly showing us who he was before and who he is now, what caused that change, everything else in this show pretty much said you had to see the parts in Index, and that wasn't what has made Railgun maybe even better than the original. Accelerator took a bullet to the brain, so I imagine we could have got like a scramble of memories, show us here how he thinks he is a bad guy, and what Last Order means to him.

I think Railgun was great how it expanded of Misaka, as well as her circle, outside of main Index plot it was how they interact. It is why I would have loved to see more Misaka Sisters, with their different dorky sides. The one we had was nice, but it is also the group that can be great, and good to show us how they all feel about him. I was pretty fond of parts in Index that had things like the Sisters turning on the one that dieted, or Last Order running into one of them and causing said sister to hunt her down with a gun.

I give it a rating of Good (7/10), worth seeing.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:52 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Well, I think that it is safe to say that this was better than Index Season 3

I liked Index 3 better
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1