• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astra Lost in Space (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:32 am Reply with quote

Astra Lost in Space (TV)

Genres: science fiction

Plot Summary:
Quote:
In the year 2063, travelling through space has become commonplace. Eight students from Caird High School, along with one child, set out for a school camp on a nearby planet. However, the students are then mysteriously transported 5,000 light years away from home, with no way to call for help. Aboard an abandoned spaceship they call the Astra, these nine students slowly try to make their way back and figure out why they were transported in the first place.
(from manga)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Summer TV anime adaptation of the same name.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:27 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Interesting start....it has a movie frame like style with the episode presentation so I think it kinda felt like a mini-movie.

We got introduction of the main characters from the first episode so far. (quite a bit of characters introduced in fact) Aries is a cutie though. Surprisingly catchy music used for this episode. I was not expecting it but I find this episode rather interesting and it makes a nice impression with its themes. The movie-like cinematics also enhanced the experience especially some of the space scenes.

12 episodes confirmed butI think this has a lot of potential.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:20 am Reply with quote
When I saw the advertisement art that it seems to be a sci-fi show with a bunch of teenagers, I oddly was feeling low expectations, I just kind of felt like this might disappoint me like a few shows seem to have done lately. But watching the first episode I felt all of that turned around, it really not feeling cringey and I actually kind of liking Aries sort of ditsy character, like such gaffs as calling her male teacher mum as just a line of what could be embarrassing. I felt that I maybe could enjoy this simple camping trip of teenagers brought up in sci-fi future going on a camping trip. Figures that I did not really pay attention to the translated name of the show, although maybe taking consideration the first minute, it has gone full "Lost in Space!", not just in the title of this show, but like that old show they have been randomly sent a far distance away from their plant (5,012 light years).

Maybe something else that reminded me of something I quite like was of the Dead Space. Many probably think of just an appeal of the of the Dead Space series is the body horror, but something that has always appealed to me was just the sci-fi part of the survival, the main character as an engineer needing to work the resources at hand. Especially the third game that had things like getting into a space suit before ending up in vacuum, and then flying through zero g around derelict space ships with limited resources. Maybe it is not the most correct or logical comparison to make, but it built a soft spot for certain space exploration/survival situations, existing even when tech is beyond modern stuff.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:59 am Reply with quote
I haven't read the source material, but if you don't like totally speculative "spoilers" just skip this whole post. Smile

I could be way off, but I feel like we've been told exactly what's going on already. There are a lot of "coincidences" so far that I don't think are just bad writing: First we're told that their "task" is to take along a ten-year-old girl, and I think that actually is the point of all this. I don't think she's really Quitterie's sister. At one point Quitterie basically told Aries that things weren't what they appeared. "It's not like that," sounded like she just meant they weren't close, but it could also have meant they weren't sisters.

Next they get teleported right next to a ship with life support (there's probably a reason they couldn't drop them directly into the ship). One of them suggests this is just a test, and I think it might be that too. They were put in orbit around an inhospitable planet they couldn't stay at, and there is exactly one route they can take to be rescued. And of course they have a genius on board who can figure that out.

So I think little sister is some important person, like royalty or something, who is in danger of assassination or kidnapping, and this is how they've chosen to keep her safe and hidden while still getting her where she needs to go within a certain time frame.

Btw, they said Aries was a transfer student, but I don't think they said from where. I don't think Japanese (or whatever language they're supposed to be speaking) is her native tongue, because she makes mistakes even a toddler wouldn't make. And "reading the room" is practically genetic among Japanese if anime (Hetalia!) is to be believed, so her inability to do that is indicative of something more than just social awkwardness. Wherever she's from, I expect it will be important.

Or not. Anime smallmouth Looking forward to finding out if any of this was right. If not, it will probably be a much better story!
SomeHero

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:07 am Reply with quote
Im almost impressed from this, but it would be more awesome a couple of Years ago. Those Students almost a little to Cliche, if you ask me. Aries: the clumsy scatterbrain. Then the quitterie older sister: Rough Shell, soft core. The cool´(cold?) 700, erm 200 IQ Guy. The grumpy Emo. The shy Axe Murderer (hey, this time its an Girl with big Boobs!). The adorable Little Sister. And so on. But... Kataka would be an good Capitain if im only count the first Episode. Btw, some1 mentioned Dead Space: i first feared, the Ball Thing would kill the first Student, and it becomes an ,9 Little Guinea Pigs` Anime, with Kataka sacrifife himself at the end for Aries and Little Sisters Survival. But maybe that will still happen xD
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

Going to be honest, as good as Kanata was at making snap decisions and trying to keep team cohesion, and also really athletic to be the hero, Quitterie kind of had really good points about how carefree them all being as reckless. Charce might of had biology knowledge for things that can be on different planets, but it hardly seems like a good reason to make him second in command, seemed awfully risky when he just let all the alien creatures crawl over him without being sure. Being able to be the most knowledgeable on different facts or able to do amazing tasks I think is hardly a reason to put someone in a position in power. If anything I kind of think Quitterie should have been given the role, where despite creating a bit of conflict in not being honest, I think that she is the most cautious. Where I think that as long as she does not run off again she would probably be the best to balance out Kanata's at being able to think more cautiously.

Also, kids. Don't eat random vegetation that you think could be edible, without being sure first. Old tricks without magic yummy telling machines, is being able to watch native wildlife if they also eat it, which would be if their digestion is like yours.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:35 am Reply with quote
Ok, so they're not sisters. And I still think there's more to her than meets the eye, given the circumstances of her adoption.

I can't even imagine someone like Quitterie being in charge. Now that she's hopefully settled down a bit, she might make a good advisor if they listen to some of her caution, but she would be a terrible leader since she'd alienate everyone, and they're not even bound by an accepted hierarchy to obey her, as they would be if she were say, their manager at a job. Also, in this situation, there's caution and then there's frozen with fear, and she's the latter. If it had been up to her, they'd still all be sitting on the ship cowering and doing nothing but whining about going home. Her name suits her.

The reappearance of the orb was unexpected. It seemed only designed to get them to leave the forest (or not go into the area it came out of), and they easily outran it this time.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2
I know what that laugh means, Aries is an alien. That following wormhole, that ship and its later sabotage... Some things just make too much sense now.
"Photographic memory" Yeah, the only way that helps if you remember to look behind you along the way... unless of course you were on that planet already.
It was kind of obvious anyway, a character with that amount of odd personality and that name, she should have just introduced herself as Aries "I'm an Earthling" Spring.
And... well, I knew Aries was the "ram" constellation but now that I think about it...
She's hiding horns under her "odango", isn't she?

My favorite part of the show: I'm so used to anime being presented in 1.85:1 ratio that when it's done as a proper 2.35 cinematic ratio that I... didn't even notice until well into the second episode. And that double episode kept reminding of the movie Gravity and one of those reasons was its aspect ratio.... I mean, on top of the untethered space walk
Lancelotginus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:21 am Reply with quote
That laugh was...interesting. And will haunt my dreams.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:22 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

With the thought that someone may have been sent to kill the rest, with one of them even having a gun (Ulgar). I think that we will find that Ulgar is a misdirect, it too obvious for being this early on, I think that he managed to find the gun before the would be assassin did, and he is worried about who he can trust. The next antisocial person, Yun-Hua, might be the next obvious guess, her hiding some sort of problems as obvious by this episode, she has something to prove, and she is looking the other direction compared to everyone else in the series picture. Which again makes me think that she will not likely be them.

Going on the other end, I think that the least likely ones, that is the most friendly, may be the more likely, such as with Luca and Charce, these two kind of seem like the most able to have someone lower their defences. Luca seemed to show some engineering skills, with a little bit of an androgynous look, he kind of feels like he might be stronger than he looks, and kind of like he could pull that surprise thing off. Charce, kind of dislike how nice he comes across as, almost like he would be really good at just charming people to like him, some knowledge in biology, kind of like he charmed himself into that second in charge role without ever making it look like he asked for it.

But my craziest theory is on Aries, there is just something weird about her. Things like making mistakes with words that might seem cute, but feels like more than a joke. She apparently has a photogenic memory, apparently something about two different coloured eyes, and some sort of mysterious transfer student thing. My crazy theory being that maybe she has been programed like a sleeper agent, her memory being either the reason she is picked, or a side effect. Same as her language mistakes, being something programed to be underestimated, or a side effect. Her suit may have even been purposely malfunctioned so that she would be least suspected. But really, I am going off of a crazy theory like her being reprogramed that she is not even aware of it being herself.

I think that we can mostly think of Kanata as being safe as the most known, Funicia safe as a most likely target, Funicia safe as her sister, although there is something odd, and Zack safe as her childhood friend and the one who brought attention to the sabotage. Although, why even sabotage it if it was placed for that reason and could have been placed there without it if always intended?
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:43 am Reply with quote
Think about it logically; If it was a matter of assassination then stranding them out in unknown space would be the ultimate way to do it, not a gun.

I'm starting with the idea that humanity can't creat a wormhole, let alone a wormhole that tracks targets on its own.... that is, while everyone thinks FTL travel is commonplace, they have no idea that's a wormhole though it's kind of weird they don't recognize it as such. Which leads to the obvious next step that it saved them and led them to the ship; two things that wouldn't happen on a one way death trip. Using this logic then its safe to say that Ulgar, being a crack shot that he is, brought the gun with him rather than finding it on the ship. It's Japan and the future, guns can't be that common. I'm not saying Ulgar's the assassin, I'm saying he's not the only assassin. He's the obvious one, giving cover to the real one.

Luca's referred to as a boy but looks like a girl... yes, those are breasts, you can't hide them under a skintight outfit even if the guy usually wears a baggy shirt. But I'm just leaving that alone for now since it's an incidental fact for now. The thing I note the most is hair color; This show seems to play "anime hair color is normal" straight so what we see for hair color is what the color is. The normal people have normal colors, the oddities, and I will include Zack here, have the unique shades.

Anyway, to make a long story short, my bet's on the puppet. I've seen Best Student Council; puppets make GREAT assassins.

There a few other things I could say... like Aries' communication equipment was most likely tampered with so that if everything went as expected, she would have been easily isolated planetside. And I already figured she was the likely target; Nohting like hiding the notion of "First Contact" in a student camping accident where everyone was lost... no, I'll wait on that one, it's too easy.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't be surprised if it was either Zack or Funicia.

For Zack, what better misdirection than being the one to point out the discovery of sabotage while actually being the culprit.

Expanding on DuskyPredator's idea of Aries being a possible sleeper agent, it could also possibly be Funicia instead. Her suddenly being adopted in such a short timeframe is rather suspect. For all we know, she could be some sort android or something along those lines.
CrisGer A.A.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:21 am Reply with quote
I really wanted to like this. but i dont.

it is crude and shallow and the characters cut out of paper..thin paper. the captain has potential but ..well what can he do with a ship full of fools? no one else other than the red haired girl with the nice figure....no one else is remotely interestoing. There was an old anime of a high school class who got control of a space battle ship that much better than this and it was made like 15 years ago.

I fear this will never fly for me. sorry i had hopes.
Lancelotginus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:10 pm Reply with quote
The way episode 4 started it was more like asstra lost in space right? Ha ha ha
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:31 am Reply with quote
Lancelotginus wrote:
The way episode 4 started it was more like asstra lost in space right? Ha ha ha

I did really wonder if that scene was going to make it in from the maga. What I want to know is, why does Zack wash the gloves (?) on his space suit? Did he get, ahem, distracted when he walked into the shower, maybe? Embarassed Wink If he got crud on them doing mech work someplace, I'd assume there would be cleaner in the machinery spaces for that. Yah know, in the sci-fi equivalent of the janitor's closet.

Still enjoying the show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3