• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 50 Japanese Voice Actors Share Acting Tips in Interview Compilation Book

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Psajdak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Am I weird for being able to recognize 99% of those seiyu just by hearing them?

Also, seriously ANN?

Norio Wakamoto - voice of Charles V. Britannia?

You have Oskar von Reuenthal, and you go, and mention Code Geass character, instead?
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:54 pm Reply with quote
When was Oyama Nobuyo interviewed? Doesn't she have dementia?
HolsteinCrab

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I feel very old when I realize that Kenichi Suzumura and Hiroyuki Yoshino now count as veteran seiyuu. (Even if I've heard Suzumura in material from at least 20 years ago...)

Despite being one of the nuts who tends to buy these kind of books, I'm a bit 'veteran seiyuu book'ed out after 声優語 featured a few of the same people (Megumi Ogata, Kouichi Yamadera, Kotono Mitsuishi, Kappei Yamaguchi, Keiji Fujiwara etc) even though that was more about personal experiences as seiyuu than a guide book.

That said, I am curious if Yamadera STILL isn't done complaining about the audition for Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Laughing (He rants about it in 声優語, ranted about it in an interview for the Rakugo fanbook that came out when the TV series first aired and I seem to recall him mentioning in another interview how he went out drinking with the sound director Kouji Tsujitani and ended up spending most of the night ranting to him about the audition.)

Also I wonder how thick this thing is meant to be given the number of seiyuu they have? I imagine they'll get about 3-4 pages each?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:56 pm Reply with quote
What's he ranting about? People usually don't complain if they get the role.
RegSuzaku

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:55 pm Reply with quote
. . . . . . zi.

(or "di")

And the "V." you're thinking of is two of his children, and it's "vi", not "V."

/ in-universe naming conventions pedant.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:01 pm Reply with quote
So what was the name again of that one anime that provides an endless supply of voice actor related thumbnails every time it comes up?
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:19 pm Reply with quote
HolsteinCrab wrote:

That said, I am curious if Yamadera STILL isn't done complaining about the audition for Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Laughing (He rants about it in 声優語, ranted about it in an interview for the Rakugo fanbook that came out when the TV series first aired and I seem to recall him mentioning in another interview how he went out drinking with the sound director Kouji Tsujitani and ended up spending most of the night ranting to him about the audition.)

What was wrong with the audition?
Vannil

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
So what was the name again of that one anime that provides an endless supply of voice actor related thumbnails every time it comes up?

It’s from Seiyuu’s Life, I think it aired a few years ago, but it was really interesting.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:48 am Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:

Sore ga Seiyuu!
HolsteinCrab

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:
HolsteinCrab wrote:

What was wrong with the audition?

The Rakugo audition was different from a typical audition in that there was no script. According to Ishida and Yamadera the test was to see if the seiyuu could pull rakugo off so everyone had to perform three minutes worth of rakugo from the heart instead of character lines with a script. Yamadera had it harder than most as he had to do two rakugo performances (Shinigami and Nozarashii iirc) because he auditioned for both Kikuhiko and Sukeroku. Even though he got the part of Sukeroku and had an advantage because he already had an interest in rakugo, he still found the audition absolutely horrible as there was nothing to fall back on. (Seki managed to avoid this hurdle because he was always the first choice for Yotaro and had a known rakugo background.)

Said audition was also apparently full of veterans due to the casting directors wanting people who had been around in the Shouwa era (or at least were old enough to remember it) which upped the pressure. According to those who attended, there had never been anything quite like it in terms of challenge.
shosakukan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:31 am Reply with quote
Psajdak wrote:
Also, seriously ANN?

Norio Wakamoto - voice of Charles V. Britannia?

You have Oskar von Reuenthal, and you go, and mention Code Geass character, instead?

Judging from the most famous Wakamoto-related ASCII art on 2ch/5ch, the most representative voice role of Wakamoto seems to be Anago-san in the Sazae-san anime. In fact, in a survey conducted by Goo Ranking in 2017 about 'Which character voice of Wakamoto Norio is the most impressive?', Anago-san got a first place. The web site of his agency, too, has mentioned Anago-san first in the list of his representative roles.
Since probably the Sazae-san anime has been not yet broadcast in the Anglosphere, I can understand that gaijin-san may have different opinions about 'Which character voice of Wakamoto Norio is the most impressive?', however.

MajinAkuma wrote:
When was Oyama Nobuyo interviewed? Doesn't she have dementia?

The interviews in the book are ones which originally the Seiyū Grand Prix magazine and its web site carried in the past. So probably the interview with Ōyama Nobuyo, too, was held in the past when her condition was good.

HolsteinCrab wrote:
Also I wonder how thick this thing is meant to be given the number of seiyuu they have? I imagine they'll get about 3-4 pages each?

The page count of the book is 272 pages, and each of the seiyū got 2 pages to 8 pages.
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:52 am Reply with quote
It's nice seeing that there is a book involving most of the legendary voice-over artists who have done their tremendous work for years in Japan.

Does anyone think this book is missing anyone?

They didn't mention other worthy names like Megumi Hayashibara, Shinichiro Miki, Shigeru Chiba, Tessho Genda, Toshihiko Seki, Takehito Koyasu, Aya Hisakawa, Satsuki Yukino, Ayako Kawasumi, or even Rie Kugimiya to name a few.
reanimator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:14 pm Reply with quote
CANimeFan88 wrote:
It's nice seeing that there is a book involving most of the legendary voice-over artists who have done their tremendous work for years in Japan.

Does anyone think this book is missing anyone?

They didn't mention other worthy names like Megumi Hayashibara, Shinichiro Miki, Shigeru Chiba, Tessho Genda, Toshihiko Seki, Takehito Koyasu, Aya Hisakawa, Satsuki Yukino, Ayako Kawasumi, or even Rie Kugimiya to name a few.

Out of thousands of Japanese voice actors out there, they could fit so much into one book.

As there are so many voice actor as stars in the sky, thank god that I'm not into voice actors/Seiyuu in general.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1