• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best Anime of 2018

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:57 pm Reply with quote
In terms of stand-out bombshells, Zombie Land Saga epi. 9 comes to mind when spoiler[we learn Lily was born a boy. There was definitely a lack of foreshadowing outside of the possible hint that Lily was nervous when the idol group was going to the hot springs.]

For me, the Top 5 or 6 are:
1. Tie: Franxx because of the romance, the mecha, and character development. Oh, and the fan service. Pop Team Epic because it is so absurd. It is definitely the most acid-tripped anime title I have seen.

2. Zombie Land Saga because a zombie version of an idol group is not that common. Oh, and Kotaro's enthusiasm (in Japanese and English dubs) is hilarious. Truck-kun appearing early in the 1st epi. was nice!

3. Megalobox because of the throwback animation to the late 90s-early 2000s anime style and the retro music. The fights were also nice!

4. Seishun Buta because the 2 leads get a great character development and also because of a sexy bunny girl!

5. Goblin Slayer because, as much as I don't think sexual assaults are needed to indicate it is a dark show, of how dark it is. Also consider the following: While I have not read the light novels, if there is 1 case of a kind-hearted goblin being mentioned, even if it is a decimal of a percent of the "wicked" goblins, that proves that not ALL the goblins are bad. It does raise the questions of the in-story morality of killing goblin women and children.

Since #1 had 2 titles, that's why I had the "6" mentioned.
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:09 pm Reply with quote
1. Attack on Titan season 3
2. Devilman Crybaby
3. Angolmois: Record of Mongol Invasion
4. Megalobox
5. Cells at Work

My anime of 2018. Wished I could have picked them all for me but sadly I had to pick only 5 when choosing some of these.

Flat out worst:
UzaMaid
Ms. Vampire Who Lives in My Neighborhood
Harukana Receive
Anima Yell

Last edited by Heishi on Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:01 am Reply with quote
Best moment/twist had to be Poputepipikku -> hoshiro girl ->spoiler[ ends up going Rewrite]
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:13 am Reply with quote
Favorite "Twist" this year probably has to be from Attack on Titan or SSSS.Gridman, not going to get too much into them because of spoilers. Gridman has really been a surprise for me this year. I never grew up on anything the show is referencing, but the first episode hooked me all the way to the end. Really like the dub too.

Favorite "moment" is way too hard. I loved the laptop scene in A Place Further Than the Universe, the whole finale of Devilman Crybaby, a couple stunning revues in Revue Starlight, episode 9 of SSSS.Gridman, and Deku vs Kacchan pt 2. I definitely think one high point was the episode of Ancient Magus Bride with Chise's mother. Even though there were other shows I liked more overall in 2018, not much packed more of a cathartic punch to my heart than this.

Top Five:
Devilman Crybaby
A Place Further Than the Universe
Aggretsuko
SSSS.Gridman
Maquia

Loved a lot this year though. Can't wait to see what 2019 brings us in anime!
myfairx

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:02 am Reply with quote
I'm reading the authors opinion and keep thinking if I should change my list. But again it's me who vote the poll not others. So my top 5 of 2018 is

5. Asobi Asobase
4. SSSS Gridman
3.Lupin III part 5
2. Hinamatsuri
1. YuruCamp

honorable mentions includes, Sora Yori mo Tooi Basho (very good overall but I hate tearjerker, so it's out of my list and replaced with Asobi), Hakumei to Mikochi (there's hit and miss but overall a charming SOL for adults audience), Phantom in the Twilight (favorable female MC, almost great screenwriting), if we're including movies too then Maquia - a surprised gem of this year anime movie.

It's good to see at least 2-3 of my choice are loudly mentioned in the articles and they do echoes my thoughts on how great the series are.

My favorite plot twist is entirely Lupin part 5. spoiler[ Lupin was mostly cutting edge BUT never in my expectations it jumps into latest social tech juncture in full force! ] is that even a spoiler? Lol
Stretch2424

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:10 am Reply with quote
I am appalled to find no mention of Space Battleship Tiramisu here among peoples' favorites. It is only a short, but it is the most devilish parody of mecha anime that I have ever seen. It dismantles every stereotype, from 'my-brother-is-fighting-on-the-other-side' to 'I-have-a-unique-skill-which-makes-me-an-awesome-mecha-pilot'. It must be popular in Japan, because its second season has just concluded.
myfairx

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:47 am Reply with quote
Stretch2424 wrote:
I am appalled to find no mention of Space Battleship Tiramisu here among peoples' favorites. It is only a short, but it is the most devilish parody of mecha anime that I have ever seen. It dismantles every stereotype, from 'my-brother-is-fighting-on-the-other-side' to 'I-have-a-unique-skill-which-makes-me-an-awesome-mecha-pilot'. It must be popular in Japan, because its second season has just concluded.

On the same note, I enjoy Himote House. It's a hit and miss sometimes but love the ad lib / improv by the seiyuu. Also quite short around 12 minutes. And hoping it will get a 2nd season, in the same spirit as Tesagure! anime (2 season and a spinoff) which is quite popular in Japan I belive.
mai-$an

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:00 am Reply with quote
My Top 5 Best Anime in 2018

1. Boku No Hero Academia S3
2. Attack on Titan S3 pt 1
3.Darling in Franxx
4. Rascal Does Not Dream of a Bunny Girl Senpai
5. Violet Evergarden
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:39 am Reply with quote
Without sequels it would be like this

5. Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl Senpai no Yume wo Minai
4. Banana Fish
3. Devilman Crybaby
2. Asobi Asobase
1. Megalo Box
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:07 pm Reply with quote
My top 5 for the year

1. A Place Further than the Universe
2. Asobi Asobase
3. Hisone to Masotan
4. Hinamatsuri
5. Megalobox

Overall a very strong year but still weaker than 2017 (the miracle year for anime).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
phia_one

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:40 pm Reply with quote
My Top 5:

1. Planet With-So much packed into 12 episodes but still was a fun ride. Great characters, comedy that landed (for me), and I liked the story/themes.
2. A Place Further Than The Universe-What's left to say about this show?
3. Rokuhoudou Yotsuiro Biyori-Such a charming show with a great cast and comedy. I'd love to buy the manga.
4. DamexPrince Anime Caravan-As a fan of otome shows, this had everything I could ask for: A fantastic heroine, likable guys, and it poked fun at the genre. If the game was available in english I'd be playing it
5. Hinamatsuri-Great at balancing humor and heart. Anzu is best girl

Honorable Mentions: Hakumei and Mikochi, After the Rain, Kakuriyo: Bed and Breakfast for Spirits, Yuru Camp, Run With The Wind
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:51 pm Reply with quote
When will the next part of this feature be coming out? I'm only seeing the first part from Wednesday. Am I missing something?
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I didn't mind it when they skipped Thursday. Not posting another entry today is a little concerning. If no update comes tomorrow either, then it'll be a problem.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:50 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
When will the next part of this feature be coming out? I'm only seeing the first part from Wednesday. Am I missing something?

You're not. Given that episode reviews (which are comparatively simple to process) for the last few days have been well later than normal, I think it's safe to say that Zac and Jacob were either ill or distracted. A big batch of the ep reviews has shown up in the last few hours, so I'd expect the next one or more installments in the next day or two.

EDIT: Well, it seems that Part 2 was posted just a few minutes after I posted this. . .

Last edited by Key on Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Theron has 3 anime I didn't watch (but 1 of them is because I dropped a previous season), 1 I thought was okay and 1 in my top 5. Rebecca you poor thing I only watched 1 of your anime Sad

Best character is almost an easy choice for me. Akane from SSSS Gridman stole the show and was great in every single way, but Anzu from Hinamatsuri was a freaking angel who just deserves to win things, so I'll have to go with her. If I have to choose a male character as well, then Producer from Zombie Land Saga was so full of energy he carried the show at the start, and was surprisingly an actual emotional figure all the way through.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11