• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Could Patreon Be "Better For The Industry" Than Crunchyroll?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Triltaison

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:23 pm Reply with quote
I seem to recall an article from a while back that explained Crunchyroll's use of Flash for their player as being at the insistence of Japanese license holders requiring them to do so. Something about how the license holders were aware of the copy protection on Flash and deemed it good enough and a failsafe, despite it not being either anymore. If that is indeed true, I wonder if any shows have Flash spelled out somehow as their streaming method in contracts.

Hopefully a more secure player is in the works regardless of the verity of that when Flash finally kicks the bucket for real in 2020.
Swiftyy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Koda89 wrote:
Digibro is a hack and each video he releases further cements how little he actually knows.

Putting aside my opinions on High Guardian Spice, it's clear Digibros videos on Crunchyroll were made to profiteer off of the on-going drama. (Just look at his channels social blade!)
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

Even in the face of my distaste and abhorrence of HGS, and even as humankind is as volatile as ever, even if the first world loves to portay themselves with exceptional elite impunity otherwise, everyone has to act at the right time and do the right thing.

I may come to do otherwise myself when it comes to anime ownership, but one tenet I do follow is to never take something that's easily available on the market and is the newest latest thing. Crunchyroll is something that most would have killed for back in the day, and I'm glad it exists.

I've heard it all when it comes to Crunchyroll and Ellation. "They're gonna put up a paywall for good anime up there with HGS and make everyone watch it". "They're gonna eventually shift over into crappy censored bs no fun no interesting standards and practices that is currently making the US animation industry eat a fat one".

As I'm at the helm right now, the best thing I can say is to act when they do enact these things happen or are stupid enough to show signs of them gradually being increasingly shifty. I believe in justified force when it calls for it, and not just brutality all the time every time. If they still have their anime up, that means they aren't going under. As much as I advocate revolution, you can't go around being rambunctious all the time. That then just means your revolution is selfish.

It's not about the extremes of pay or don't pay. It's show where your money wants to go.

Oh and another thing, I'd advise anyone who is going to Crunchyroll Expo this weekend to not do something stupid, like dangerously and violently stupid. That is not going to help.

Last edited by TheAnimeRevolutionizer on Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
FenixFiesta

What we have here is a multi layered problem of getting money into the hands that fans would intentionally try to support.

There is a sea of media creators, a very few that can "break through" and an entire array of mediocre to outright crap level creators that are wasting there own time and are forced into a different line of money making.
But even the over made and the alternative of pitifully created will some times find its niche audience.

Crunchyroll itself at least on its face is simply a means of distribution, sometimes it releases content people do indeed want to watch, but for the most part it is filled to the brim with content a viewer simply doesn't have time for without even considering many other REAL problems Crunchyroll has as a service.

There is no "easy solution" to getting money from the willing fan toward there favorite creator, and even if there was some projects simply would still not get enough compensation finances for an animated production, it happens regularly and can take down a studio because they ended up with financial flops that found not fandom on the respective release.

The only thing "good" to come out of this is to for the fans to actually notice that a financial issue exists in the first place.
-SP-

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Iron Maw wrote:
-SP- wrote:
The problem with Crunchyroll is instead of licensing more Anime or fixing bugs on their website/apps, they fund their own original "anime" High Spice Guardian which no-one asked for.

I don't care about HGS either, but no way it's gonna impact anything their are already doing. C.R. would have to be extremely poorly run for that to happened of was the case they wouldn't be around today to even get to the point HGS could be made.

This not either/or thing. The existence of HGS (which some people have definitely been claiming for) and budgets for fixes of operation issue are not mutual exclusive. They can both be done. People should know at least this much.

The thing is Crunchyroll could easily license another 5+ series for the amount of money they are going to put into their own show which is paid by users who just want to STREAM anime. In the article it claims "that they do try to license literally everything" but instead of doing that they are blowing tons of money while knowing full-well about the hate they would receive. Based on the fact that they disabled comments on the trailer for HGS, they expected the outcome and clearly don't care about their users concerns.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Seconding the "Digibro is a hack" thing. The guy thinks that Patreon is workable, but like Justin said, your basic anime needs $275K per episode.You know how much money Trigger Studios makes a month on Patreon? A little under $11 grand. Trigger can't even get a single picture of Sucy smoking a joint for that, let alone save the anime industry like Digibro expects.

The key point here is, Digibro wants the anime industry to downsize because he thinks that if less productions are made, the studios will be forced to make better ones--but media doesn't work like that. When the Comic Book Crash of the '90s wiped out the massive chunk of the industry leaving only the Big Two standing, it didn't mean every issue of World's Finest or Astonishing X-Men was a classic. Hell--arguably, it's a wound the comic book industry still hasn't healed from because your average cape comic can just barely break 80K copies sold, even today! And this is with really popular books and characters coming out, Iron Man with his movie appearances, Kamala Kahn the perennial fan-favorite, the list goes on.

You can't just decide to make a groundbreaking show, the same way you can't just decide to make a good video game or write a good book. Hell, look at how long it took The Thing to be vindicated by history! The guy has no clue of what helps the industry or how. If he can't wrap his head around royalties or advances, then I'll give him about the same mind as I would the dots on 4Chan that think that Fakku ruined eromanga by going legit. (Because, y'know, helping artists like Saitom and Meme50 reach worldwide audiences and meet U.S. fans directly is such a waste of time, amirite?) The guy actively wants people in the industry to lose jobs so "only good stuff is made", screw that.

EDIT: Wow, a lot of people sure are using this thread to vent their grievances on Crunchyroll's unreleated original show... Rolling Eyes
Ashley Hakker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:34 pm Reply with quote
-SP- wrote:
The problem with Crunchyroll is instead of licensing more Anime.

Yes, that's the problem, Crunchyroll needs to license more anime. For summer 2018 they okay added 30+ new series, 16 catalogue series, and have 21 continuing series.

It's pretty half assed for sure. It's like their license staff just sit around and play Minesweeper all day!

Hey CR, try licensing something for once!
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
-SP- wrote:
The problem with Crunchyroll is instead of licensing more Anime or fixing bugs on their website/apps, they fund their own original "anime" High Spice Guardian which no-one asked for.

Unlike this Digibro guy though, I prefer physical media and merchandise. Sounds like he wants his cake and to eat it too by saying "no'" to everything but Patreon. There's plenty of ways to support anime besides CR, but he seems to not like those either.

I think he supported the industry plenty. He made quite a few videos complaining about the lack of space due to how much crap he has. (Manga/anime/etc)
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:36 pm Reply with quote
My takeaway from this is Digibro doesn’t understand how economics work.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Digibro is one of those Youtubers that rant allot but tells very little and shows a lack of understanding on how the anime industry works. Most of his rants come to "everything i don't like is crap and anime industry should make the things i like and don't spend money on other anime. People give him too much credit.

The big problem with Crunchyroll was the PR disaster that was the presenting of the upcoming American cartoon High Spice Guardian.
The backlash was so big that they had to release a statement after that, reaffirming their compromise with Japanese anime and finally going to fix the player.

Most of the complain was that people fell betrayed because the biggest sell point of Crunchyrol was that the subscription money would be to support the Japanese anime industry.

It was almost what would happen like if Tesla, Inc. tell their investors that support electric cars, that they will be investing and building a diesel car because a few of their clients may want diesel.

And now we don't know if the money for Crunchyroll American cartoons come from the subscription or from AT&T and Ellation Studios.
If Crunchyroll want people that drop the subscription to return, they have to be clean on were the subscription money will be invested.

If they want to be making more cartoons, the better option is create another site like Crunchyroll - Cartoons were people that want that cartoons to subscribe there and support those cartoons.

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:39 pm Reply with quote
I really don't have much to say, partially because I don't care to watch Digibro's video, and partially because Justin's answer pretty much says I likely would have said, anyway, especially in regards to CrunchyRoll licensing a bunch of "bad anime" every season.

Still, the argument people are making that "the money going towards High Guardian Spice could have gone to licensing another 5+ anime instead!" is just as much as fallacy as whatever Digibro tried arguing. The fact of the matter is that streaming & simulcasting has only gotten more & more competitive, and CrunchyRoll is no longer able to grab "everything", like they used to. Amazon's going to get what it can, Netflix is getting involved in varying ways, FUNimation is only going to keep doing what it wants, and some stuff will just never be made available over here for simulcasting (the remaining "5%" of anime every year, as I put it). Those "5+" other anime effectively don't exist, so CrunchyRoll probably decided that, since they have the money & they are already licensing as much as they possibly can every season, then why not make an original product?
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
Seconding the "Digibro is a hack" thing.The key point here is, Digibro wants the anime industry to downsize because he thinks that if less productions are made, the studios will be forced to make better ones--but media doesn't work like that.You can't just decide to make a groundbreaking show, the same way you can't just decide to make a good video game or write a good book.

EDIT: Wow, a lot of people sure are using this thread to vent their grievances on Crunchyroll's unreleated original show... Rolling Eyes

This is why I absolutely dislike current criterion culture and geek reviewing. They worship Sturgeon's Law like Nazi's did the Ubermench Ideal.

Also doesn't help that when you funded it, that puts you too at the scene of the crime.... also you can thank moi for this mess. Wink
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:45 pm Reply with quote
-SP- wrote:
The thing is Crunchyroll could easily license another 5+ series for the amount of money they are going to put into their own show which is paid by users who just want to STREAM anime. In the article it claims "that they do try to license literally everything" but instead of doing that they are blowing tons of money while knowing full-well about the hate they would receive. Based on the fact that they disabled comments on the trailer for HGS, they expected the outcome and clearly don't care about their users concerns.

You're not thinking outside the box enough. They could have used that money for literally anything else. Donate it all to Trigger's patreon. Use it to buy a ton of figures and other merchandise and do a giveaway, raffle, or something. The money doesn't have to specifically be used for licensing. Hell, donate it to a random Japanese charity. It'd have definitely done more good there

Levitz9 wrote:
When the Comic Book Crash of the '90s wiped out the massive chunk of the industry leaving only the Big Two standing, it didn't mean every issue of World's Finest or Astonishing X-Men was a classic. Hell--arguably, it's a wound the comic book industry still hasn't healed from because your average cape comic can just barely break 80K copies sold, even today! And this is with really popular books and characters coming out, Iron Man with his movie appearances, Kamala Kahn the perennial fan-favorite, the list goes on.

The comic book industry has tons of problems that led to it being on death's door, it's probably not the best example. The comics code censorship, the revolving door creative teams, the lack of interest in the medium in America in general, the ambulance chasing of trying to change everything to match the movies to get the same success, the lack of any real talent left in the industry to fix it. Not really fare to compare it to an actually growing industry like anime. It's also weird you cite Ms. Marvel since Ms. Marvel is one of the lowest selling titles Marvel puts out. Iron Man's a good example though. During the height of of the MCU popularity they thought it was a good idea to get rid of Tony and replace him. It wasn't until June he got his own title, ironically called "Tony Stark: Iron Man" because they knew they totally messed up with that one and need to tell people he's back. But then again, it's been established movie popularity never translates to sales, so it probably didn't matter anyway.
-SP-

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Ashley Hakker wrote:
-SP- wrote:
The problem with Crunchyroll is instead of licensing more Anime.

Yes, that's the problem, Crunchyroll needs to license more anime. For summer 2018 they okay added 30+ new series, 16 catalogue series, and have 21 continuing series.

It's pretty half assed for sure. It's like their license staff just sit around and play Minesweeper all day!

Hey CR, try licensing something for once!

Did you even bother to read the rest? I'll assume you didn't. They are streaming site first and foremost, instead of dumping money into something no-one asked for why not license more Anime? In the article it claims that "they have stated outright in the past that they do try to license literally everything. Anime has the same gold-crap ratio as every other form of entertainment, so that means they pick up a bunch of forgettable stuff" so the money they are spending on HGS they could pick up older tittles or use it to update their website/apps or even their outdated video player.
Ashley Hakker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:59 pm Reply with quote
-SP- wrote:
Did you even bother to read the rest? I'll assume you didn't. They are streaming site first and foremost, instead of dumping money into something no-one asked for why not license more Anime?

Cause original content has worked out so badly for Netflix, amirite?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11