• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: THR: Sequel to Netflix's Death Note Film in the Works

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xchampion

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:38 pm Reply with quote
You can blame me. I actually enjoyed the movie and watched it multiple times. I hope they keep following L because "With Sorry Not to Bother You" Lakeith Stanfield proved he is an amazing actor. He was underutilized in the movie. This news excites me immensely.
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:19 pm Reply with quote
This cool, I like the Netflix Death Note. It was a fun watch
Fenrin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I kind of enjoyed the movie, I even liked that ferris wheel scene that everyone said was hammy because of the music choice. It was obvious they were going for a sequel from that ending but it's hard to tell what direction they would go with it at this point.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Upcoming Mortal Kombat film's Greg Russo reportedly writing script

Two thoughts readily spring to mind:

1. The ridiculousness of the Mortal Kombat franchise accords quite well with how frivolously everyone reacted to Netflix's Death Note.
  2. Russo? Any relation to Vince? This association would not be out of place as well...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Nice, another comedy of the year.

Though who knows how it'll follow Light, given that his cover's completely blown. If L shows up for movie 2, hopefully he's not a psychotic hardcore parkour cop this time around.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Willem Dafoe as Ryuk was the only good thing about the movie. The rest of it was garbage. Oh and I literally just watched the movie last night.

I just can’t see how a sequel would be made.
db999

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Unpopular opinion I quite liked the American Death Note movie so I'm glad we're getting a sequel. Hopefully, the script is better this time around because that was by far the weakest part of the movie. I really hope Adam Wingard returns to direct this because I don't think the film would have worked had he not been behind it.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:35 pm Reply with quote
I gave the first one the benefit of the doubt, much like the Return of MST3K's first season and thus far the first episode of Total Drama Daycare (sigh). I liked Dafoe, and I would much like some more Dafoe Note, but I do agree some changes are necessary for this to continue properly. Work out the lore better, get Light more evil and ambitious (and smart!), and less f-words (not a prude, just needs more subtlety).

Still think this would have worked better as a Netflix original series rather than a set of movies, but that's moot now.

Edit: Goddamn, that's thinning out the herd.

Last edited by prime_pm on Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Idort

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Seriously? I honestly did not expect Netflix to give this dumpster fire a sequel. In a way, I'm kind of glad. I was curious how a sequel to this movie would look like, and now I get to find out.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:42 pm Reply with quote
So I removed a slew of pointless posts. If you're only goal is to basically troll the thread with "why?", "this is stupid", or other similar pointless posts then just save your breath. Nobody says you have to like the first movie or this news, but if you're going to express your displeasure then do so with some semblance of actual thought and discussion. Not just pointless bait posts.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised so many people thought it was boring. I thought it was anything but. One of the most fun films I saw last year, really. It was terrible, but it was a heck of a good time.

That being said, I think Netflix is running into the problem where they trust numbers too much and actual reception too little. Just because a ton of people showed up to watch a dumpster fire once, does not mean they'll be back to watch another one from the same franchise. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling that much of this film's success was due to the name recognition, and the reputation + controversy it quickly garnered as a hilariously bad/good time. I don't think either of those things will work as well to attract eyeballs a second time.
tee2330

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:37 am Reply with quote
I liked it, it was a fun little was of time, nothing really that wrong with it, if they changed lights personality a little bit and made the movie a little smarter than I think it'd be pretty good, but it was alright for what it was.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:27 am Reply with quote
I'm really looking forward to it, I really enjoyed the first one. If you're going into the American film expecting a replica of the Anime you're in for a bad time, but that can be said of any of the Japanese adaptions too.

Personally I really like how different each version of Death Note is and how it can be retold differently. Between the manga, Anime, jp movies, drama... It'd be so boring if they were all identical. I liked the American film's version of L quite a lot too.
My only real problem with the American film is you can really tell it's been cut from a TV series to a movie. But this sequel will be written as a movie, so that problem shouldn't be present.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:59 pm Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:27 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
InimitableUman wrote:

- What about the whitewashing? Surely the response would either be just as vitriolic, or even more so, from the fans mad about that.

All the while continuing to forget that as it’s not set in Japan or any other Asian country for that matter they don’t have to cast Asian actors or actresses in the lead roles. And if having Asian leads in an adaptation of Death Note is still that important to them the Japanese live action movies and TV Dramas are already a thing.

This is why I didn't actually mind this movie. There's already a manga, anime, three Japanese Live-Action movies, and a Live Action Tv Drama. All with different stories.

If they were going to remake it, it made sense to go in a different direction, since the land has been tilled.

relyat08 wrote:
That being said, I think Netflix is running into the problem where they trust numbers too much and actual reception too little. Just because a ton of people showed up to watch a dumpster fire once, does not mean they'll be back to watch another one from the same franchise. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling that much of this film's success was due to the name recognition, and the reputation + controversy it quickly garnered as a hilariously bad/good time. I don't think either of those things will work as well to attract eyeballs a second time.

That doesn't hold truck. If the numbers were high enough for them to consider a sequel, it doesn't make sense for them to just assume a majority of those views were hate watchers.

Hell, it's on there concurrently with the anime. If anything, it's safer to assume people who prefer the anime, would just watch the anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3