• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Manga Creator Reiji Yamada Explains Why Mr. Osomatsu's 2nd Season Bombed in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:42 am Reply with quote
Blatch wrote:
I personally think that the new season didn't bombas much. It's just that the show got a lot bigger than it should have back in Season 1 due to the controversy of the banned episode. People decided to watch out of curiosity and ended up being hooked, but now most of the hype from that has worn off.

The break really did not do Osomatsu-san many favors. It was weaker this time around, but I still enjoyed it immensely.
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:58 am Reply with quote
There's been a lot of fad anime recently. Shows that are bizarrely popular for a period of about six months, but then crater immediately afterwards. Osomatsu was just one of them.

The fidget spinners of anime? Possibly.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:42 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
also do not know the financials for the second season's production costs. Did they spend more on the show expecting similar profit returns Expectations may have been higher.
That's a good question, was this an expensive show, at first glance it doesn't look like what we would usually call high budget, with all it's rather basic character designs and few elaborate action scenes. But then I can't recall the animation ever looking stilted, and there was virtually no CG, so every car, mech, plane and crowd scene was all hand-drawn.
Araki wrote:
This was just one of those overestimated flavor of the week hits that people quickly forget afterwards, that's why. Give it two more years and it's dead and forgotten for good.
Osomatsu has some level of cultural importance in Japan, remember this was originally a show from the 60s, that later had a sequel in the 80s, I doubt it will be forgotten about.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Usagi-kun wrote:
Blatch wrote:
I personally think that the new season didn't bombas much. It's just that the show got a lot bigger than it should have back in Season 1 due to the controversy of the banned episode. People decided to watch out of curiosity and ended up being hooked, but now most of the hype from that has worn off.

The break really did not do Osomatsu-san many favors. It was weaker this time around, but I still enjoyed it immensely.

It's happened many times in American TV, where the mysterious unexplainable out-of-nowhere hit phenomenon has a season break to start all the buzz, rides the popularity in onto Season 2, and discovers that the zeitgeist has evaporated just as quickly now that the serious watchers have been separated from the trendy-curious.
(Most are probably thinking "Max Headroom" at this point, unless you've got US TV trivia fans who remember "Dinotopia".)

I'm almost afraid that's going to happen with the new season of Kemono Friends, although it'll probably be explained away by the creator issues.
reanimator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Kiddo626 wrote:
One thing's for sure: I desperately wanna see an interview with Fujita and Matsubara. I really want to know what's going through their minds about all of this.

If you can read Japanese, then Japanese anime magazines like Animage did lengthy interviews with Fujita and Matsubara on several magazine issues.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:04 am Reply with quote
Araki wrote:
This was just one of those overestimated flavor of the week hits that people quickly forget afterwards, that's why. Give it two more years and it's dead and forgotten for good.

You’re really showing your ignorance there. Osomatsu is a classic and iconic series in Japan. It hasn’t been forgotten in half a century, it won’t be forgotten all of a sudden now. If this won’t get a season three there’ll be some sort of reimagining eventually.

Me, I thought the second season was perfectly fine. A bit more hit or miss than season one for me but not nearly the difference in quality that I’ve heard some people claim. In fact, it had some of the best episodes of the series and the second half itself was arguably just as strong as season one (a lot of the people complaining seemed to drop it before that though). The show always had a lot of “low-brow” gross-out humor, so that probably wasn’t a factor. Maybe how that humor was executed, but not it’s mere presence.

Personally, I hope there’s a season three. Maybe they could work to iron out some of the issues season two had, but I just want to see more of these fun characters.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:06 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
Kiddo626 wrote:
One thing's for sure: I desperately wanna see an interview with Fujita and Matsubara. I really want to know what's going through their minds about all of this.

If you can read Japanese, then Japanese anime magazines like Animage did lengthy interviews with Fujita and Matsubara on several magazine issues.

I don’t read Japanese, but I’d love to read translated versions of these if they exist.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:
They think it underperformed compared to season 1 and not that financially it was a flop. Osomatsu-san is a full-fledged franchise now so it doesn't solely rely on BD sales. The mobile game and merchandise are still strong. You don't have to be from Japan to know that.

Besides that, the anime was a relatively tame production similar to season 1.

It was the Japanese using words like 'bomb' and 'flop' (at least as mentioned in the article) when referencing the Second Season, those are not words when referencing a profitable show. I have no way to know if the Osomatsu merchanise is still selling as well, or is it being moved to the discount section of the stores or marked down. You do have to be in Japan to know if the physical merchandise is still selling in retail stores. Does it have its own section, is it still in the genre section, or is it with Madoka Magica stuff buried in the back.
Purplerush

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:58 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Pierrot. wrote:
They think it underperformed compared to season 1 and not that financially it was a flop. Osomatsu-san is a full-fledged franchise now so it doesn't solely rely on BD sales. The mobile game and merchandise are still strong. You don't have to be from Japan to know that.

Besides that, the anime was a relatively tame production similar to season 1.

It was the Japanese using words like 'bomb' and 'flop' (at least as mentioned in the article) when referencing the Second Season, those are not words when referencing a profitable show. I have no way to know if the Osomatsu merchanise is still selling as well, or is it being moved to the discount section of the stores or marked down. You do have to be in Japan to know if the physical merchandise is still selling in retail stores. Does it have its own section, is it still in the genre section, or is it with Madoka Magica stuff buried in the back.

Just recently coming back from Japan, Osomatsu mech was everywhere, and was proving quite popular still. There's a K-Books in Ikebukuro where a whole room is dedicated to just Osomatsu merch and it was filled with people, so even though i can't say for definite, Osomatsu seems pretty popular in Japan still.

For me Osomatsu's second season was just as funny (sometimes even better) as season 1. Also a bit confused why he's saying its bombed when didn't Osomatsu got voted the best anime for last year from a survey from Japan? (Can't remember which survey the website was taken from but sure it's on animenewsnetwork somewhere).
Kiddo626

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:29 pm Reply with quote
paigerogers93 wrote:
Just recently coming back from Japan, Osomatsu mech was everywhere, and was proving quite popular still. There's a K-Books in Ikebukuro where a whole room is dedicated to just Osomatsu merch and it was filled with people, so even though i can't say for definite, Osomatsu seems pretty popular in Japan still.

For me Osomatsu's second season was just as funny (sometimes even better) as season 1. Also a bit confused why he's saying its bombed when didn't Osomatsu got voted the best anime for last year from a survey from Japan? (Can't remember which survey the website was taken from but sure it's on animenewsnetwork somewhere).

I'm glad it still seems popular over there. Smile

The survey you're talking about was a fan vote for the Tokyo Anime Festival. Ososan S2 got second place behind Yuri on Ice, beating shows like Free!, Kekkai Sensen, Idolmaster, and Attack on Titan. It got almost 40,000 votes, so that should be a good sign.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2