• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: DARLING in the FRANXX

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:14 am Reply with quote
Ep8-Loving this show but they like to bring up things from left field conveniently to further the plot. In previous shots of the corridor outside the kid's rooms there are only a few rooms consistent with the group membership but now there are mysterious rooms with "keep out" tape. I thought the guys had done that to their rooms in this "battle of the sexes" and they mean us to believe that no one has investigated in the year (or two or??) they have been there? And the photo only spoiler[seems to confirm] what Ichigo was telling everyone about performing or being eliminated so the reaction to the find seems disproportionate. Also, about the blue goo and the girls, thier "suits" are effectively painted on so wouldn't they have already been worried about it washing off? Some choice shot before the opener though...

The photo does have interesting clues though, the girl second from the right looks like a spoiler[fem-Mitsuru, the girl back-left reminds me of Futoshi]. It would seem there is cloning going on and maybe the "test team" is to test more than just how freedom of expression changes the ability to fight. An interesting bit in the opener is that when they first show Hiro his number 016 morphs into 116 before switching to what looks like kid-Hiro. Also, which some may have noticed already, the adult supervisors are actually code-named too. I thought Nana was a reference to a grandmother but it's 9 and her male counterpart is Hachi (8). I have noticed the Mitsuru/Kokoro meetings too but they had better not go there, seeing that she and Futoshi are already "married" and he is such an ass. Confused However, they might have him pull something on her to prove how he is more of a man than Hiro after the 02 ride...

Last edited by Hiroki not Takuya on Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:55 am Reply with quote
After its first third Darling in the Franxx continues to be my favorite show of this season. I agree that the writing could be better. But I should remain pleased as long as the characters keep being endearing, the mysterious and ominous atmosphere remains and the production values keep being strong.

Call me a simpleton, but an Evangelion ripoff is fun and appealing to me.
Scherzo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:10 pm Reply with quote
I mostly agree with the new review, but I differ from James in that the whole comedic setup and patent absurdity of it kept me from really you know, getting the full effect of empathy for the girls.

But yeah, for the post I really fear this is setting up a pretty conservative 'Boys are from Mars, Girls are from Venus' archetype, without really examining why gendered norms exist. Like, there's definitely empathy here for understanding others, but it's way too wrapped up in Gender Essentialism for my tastes.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
but it starts to derail once he and the other boys deduce that the girls have a heavy burden placed on their “frail bodies”, so they need the boys' masculine strength in order to succeed as Pistils.
The message here is that the sexes naturally compliment each other and have to work together to overcome obstacles and succeed in life. In the real world you will find that men's bodies and lives are routinely sacrificed in order to ensure the well-being of women. Policemen, firemen, soldiers, security guards, construction workers, sanitation workers.... basically any tough, dirty but necessary job you can think of (that includes a high potential of crippling injuries) is dominated by men.

Here in the crazy Franxx world it seems as though it's the opposite as it's the girls who take the brunt of the damage inflicted on the mechs?

Scherzo wrote:
But yeah, for the post I really fear this is setting up a pretty conservative 'Boys are from Mars, Girls are from Venus' archetype, without really examining why gendered norms exist. Like, there's definitely empathy here for understanding others, but it's way too wrapped up in Gender Essentialism for my tastes.
Is it gender essentialism when hundreds of thousands of other animal species also engage in gender-based norms or does millennia of evolutionary genetic heritage only apply from the neck down?

Last edited by Chrysostomus on Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Also, which some may have noticed already, the adult supervisors are actually code-named too. I thought Nana was a reference to a grandmother but it's 9 and her male counterpart is Hachi (8).
Nana is 7, but yeah I was wondering why they were code-named if (as the ominous buildup seems to imply) the parasites aren't supposed to survive to adulthood. Unless the implication is that numbered humans are engineered for all sorts of jobs on all levels...
seltzermx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Teenage boys staring at teenage girls is troubling? Pretty sure that comprised my everyday existence as a teenager.

It's not the boys fault the FRANXX setup has the girls bent over in front of them.
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:04 pm Reply with quote
This series should have been 13 episodes instead of the 24 they are going for. After the beach episode they could have wrapped up the entire series with just 6 episodes.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Zoneflare wrote:
This series should have been 13 episodes instead of the 24 they are going for. After the beach episode they could have wrapped up the entire series with just 6 episodes.

How on earth can you know that? We have no idea where the story is going at this point or how much more will happen before it’s over.

Is nobody going to mention the major hints that glasses girl is likely a lesbian? Immediately after her musing that she would prefer it to always just be Girls we get Zero Two’s “I taste a secret” Shocked

I agree the men from mars girls from Venus stuff is getting old - I really hope they are harping on gender roles and differences in order to do something more interesting later but who knows?

It’s also unclear just how much they know or don’t know about sex - they clearly know that seeing each other naked is a big deal, but other than that ...?

Anyway it was a pretty funny and entertaining episode otherwise.
Yazu13

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:29 pm Reply with quote
This most recent episode I feel went a little over the reviewer's head. Sure, it was an episode that dealt with the long-standing anime trope of Girls vs. Boys, but in the context of this show's story, it made perfect sense that we reached this point. The one thing that we've known since the very beginning is that Squad 13 has issues with chemistry between the Stamens and their Pistils, and this episode was the vital point where they realized how important it is that they get along and also respect each other as opposite genders.

The episode hit some pretty good story beats too with Zero Two acting as the catalyst for them to move on beyond their childish ways of thinking. She's clearly more mature than them, so her crossing the lines of tape at will and inciting a little mischief at times ultimately showed how petty everyone was being. The episode treaded a well-worn road for sure, but to fail to see how it purposefully subverted these tropes and almost mocked them in a way is to fail to see what makes this show so special.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Zoneflare wrote:

If anything, this show needs all the episodes it can get. The story has frankly not advanced much.
Scherzo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Yazu13 wrote:
This most recent episode I feel went a little over the reviewer's head. Sure, it was an episode that dealt with the long-standing anime trope of Girls vs. Boys, but in the context of this show's story, it made perfect sense that we reached this point. The one thing that we've known since the very beginning is that Squad 13 has issues with chemistry between the Stamens and their Pistils, and this episode was the vital point where they realized how important it is that they get along and also respect each other as opposite genders.

The episode hit some pretty good story beats too with Zero Two acting as the catalyst for them to move on beyond their childish ways of thinking. She's clearly more mature than them, so her crossing the lines of tape at will and inciting a little mischief at times ultimately showed how petty everyone was being. The episode treaded a well-worn road for sure, but to fail to see how it purposefully subverted these tropes and almost mocked them in a way is to fail to see what makes this show so special.

Eh, I think James has a point though that it sort of gives short shrift to the fact that the girls are in the right for being upset over being objectified. Like their response is childish, but going 'it's natural that boys are a little pervy' just seems to dodge the issue. Personally, I just found all the battle of the sexes comedy rote, and 02 being above it is kind of undercut by her sort of inherent Manic Pixy Dream Girl tendencies.

I also think James has a point about its philosophy on gender is disappointingly conventional; that male and female are Yin and Yang, natural opposites that need one another. I'm not saying that's a necessarily 'wrong' take on Gender, but I think it fails to recognize the problematic elements of that brought up in say Utena or even NGE to a certain extent.
Mojave

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I feel like James didn't watch the same episode I did. The girls aren't even remotely in the right based on what was actually in the episode. They went ballistic over one incident of their clothes starting to dissolve and their partners getting distracted by it. This wasn't a case of "The boys won't ever speak to us face to face and just always stare at our boobs instead, so an intervention is needed." As the episode goes on, even Ichigo gets mad at her partner Goro, who had about as measured a response as you could ask for in the clothes-dissolving incident. To put it simply, no James, the girls don't have a legitimate case here, for the most part anyways. That's why it's so baffling to see you harp so strongly on that point in the review.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:38 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
It’s also unclear just how much they know or don’t know about sex - they clearly know that seeing each other naked is a big deal, but other than that ...?

I'm questioning how they even know that. If they don't know about sex, and no one has taught them to be ashamed of their bodies (if they had, the girls would've been protesting the Franxx's set-up long ago, and what would be the point of the adults instilling that shame in them anyway?), why do they even have a word like "ogling" in their vocabulary? Why are the boys not bothered (much) by being seen naked? Or rather, why would the girls feel a need to keep their chests hidden while the boys don't care about theirs or their underwear being seen?

That the desire to look at the other sex's bodies is also one-sided is problematic as well. It's like only the boys are hitting puberty, or worse that the girls only develop physically at puberty, while their sexual desire remains dormant or non-existant, or expressed only as shame (except for the perpetual exception of Zero-Two).

Basically my complaint is that this doesn't work within the paradigm they've established. Lacking that framework, it would've just been business-as-usual stereotypes, but within it, it's impossible to keep suspending disbelief.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Basically my complaint is that this doesn't work within the paradigm they've established. Lacking that framework, it would've just been business-as-usual stereotypes, but within it, it's impossible to keep suspending disbelief.

I agree. The incoherencies in the world-building and social context of how these children were supposedly raised versus the script's need to insert as many fanservicey hyuk hyuk boys will be boys sex jokes as they can completely break the suspension of disbelief. I can't for the life of me believe this show is trying -or will ever try- to say something genuine or interesting about sexuality or gender when it lacks so much internal logic and is so unequal in regards to the boys' and girls' sexualities.

Also the convenient acid that conveniently only melts away the girls' clothes and nothing else made me roll my eyes so hard they fell off my school. Such deep, much philosophical

Mojave wrote:
The girls aren't even remotely in the right based on what was actually in the episode.

I love the insinuation that girls aren't allowed to get mad when boys are visibly and explicitly thinking of them in sexual terms

Last edited by CrowLia on Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
jenthehen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
jenthehen wrote:

I'm questioning how they even know that. If they don't know about sex, and no one has taught them to be ashamed of their bodies (if they had, the girls would've been protesting the Franxx's set-up long ago, and what would be the point of the adults instilling that shame in them anyway?), why do they even have a word like "ogling" in their vocabulary? Why are the boys not bothered (much) by being seen naked? Or rather, why would the girls feel a need to keep their chests hidden while the boys don't care about theirs or their underwear being seen?

That the desire to look at the other sex's bodies is also one-sided is problematic as well. It's like only the boys are hitting puberty, or worse that the girls only develop physically at puberty, while their sexual desire remains dormant or non-existant, or expressed only as shame (except for the perpetual exception of Zero-Two).

Yeah I agree it’s hard to suspend disbelief that they are “innocently” making innuendos, don’t know what kissing is or where babies come from yet they use the term “Pervy” seemingly correctly. It would be more interesting if they started having feelings about each other’s bodies but were confused about it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 124