• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Made in Abyss, My Hero Academia Win Big at Crunchyroll's Anime Awards

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:53 am Reply with quote
These are really American tastes though.

MHA is pretty popular in Japan, but not that popular - it'll likely fade as fast as Assassination Classroom has, and KuroBas is still more popular than either of them.

I'm not saying the popular choices in Japan are necessarily better - Kemono Friends, Idolish 7, and Fate are about the same level, I think. And to be honest, my favorite series (StarMyu) is probably around the same quality, the difference is purely a matter of taste - whether you prefer musicals or superheroes, neither is intrinsically better. And all of this is better than Osomatsu-san. Like, you'd have to pay me to get me to sit through any of the things that won (edit: except for Your Name or March Comes in Like a Lion, those are actually good), but you'd need to pay me twice as much to get me to watch Osomatsu-san.

Crunchyroll was pushing this as "the biggest night in anime" - which just seems so ridiculously ignorant, to say that about an American company's American awards show for Japanese media, completely cutting out the Japanese fandom.

I hope that the people at Crunchy, Netflix, etc. who are looking to produce anime are looking at all groups equally, not just making shows for American tastes.

I also think it says something about the difference between Japanese and American fandoms, where... in Japan, if you look at 5 different magazines they'll all have pretty different top-10 lists, for series, character, song, manga, everything else. But if you look at American things, it'll usually all be the same - Hero this year, Ice last year, Haikyuu or whatever before that...

I just hope that American businesses just getting into anime will recognize how many different tastes there are in Japanese fandom... but if the people who have been in anime the longest (Crunchyroll) don't realize that, then it would be hard. (Though I get the sense FUNi is aware of it. Viz definitely isn't, though...)
Mojave

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:57 am Reply with quote
Most of these weren't really surprising. Overall, the winners were actually on the whole more reasonable than how last year's turned out. Probably the only borderline travesty was Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid over Konosuba for best comedy, but other than that all of the winners were pretty defensible.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:05 am Reply with quote
I am disappointed "Sakura Quest" did not get the Best SoL Anime Award.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:06 am Reply with quote
AnimeFlyz wrote:

Dude, Crunchyroll was hyping the shot out of My Hero Academia for weeks before the awards. Its pretty clear that many other shows on Crunchyroll didn't get any advertisement.
I'm going through Crunchyroll's posts from the last few days and I'm barely seeing any advertisements for My Hero Academia at all. The vast majority of shows they're promoting are currently airing winter season shows like How To Raise A Mummy, Laid Back Camp, Ms. Koizumi Loves Ramen Noodles, and A Place Further Than The Universe. I think I've only seen like one or two My Hero Academia related posts in the last few days.

Quote:
Crunchyroll was pushing this as "the biggest night in anime" - which just seems so ridiculously ignorant, to say that about an American company's American awards show for Japanese media, completely cutting out the Japanese fandom.
Why would Crunchyroll target the awards at Japanese fandom? Japanese fandom doesn't even have access to Crunchyroll and the majority of Crunchyroll's userbase is from the North American fandom and Japan has their own award ceremonies that's exclusive to them.

Last edited by Cardcaptor Takato on Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:06 am Reply with quote
I'm glad Anime of the Year went to Made in Abyss I would have liked if Golden Kamuy won Manga of The Year but I can't really be mad that it went to My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness. Also funnily enough Anime Outsiders is appalled that Made in Abyss won Best Manga "when hatred blinds you" I guess. I knew my choice Best Comedy (Aho Girl) was not going to win but I cast my vote.
G S Palmer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:07 am Reply with quote
Mojave wrote:
Most of these weren't really surprising. Overall, the winners were actually on the whole more reasonable than how last year's turned out. Probably the only borderline travesty was Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid over Konosuba for best comedy, but other than that all of the winners were pretty defensible.

Yeah, that seemed strange to me too, and I liked Miss Kobayashi's Dragon's Maid. It's just, KonoSuba is leagues better as a comedy. Dragon Maid is much more of a slice of life show with some charming comedy on the side (like most KyoAni shows). Honestly, it kind of surprised me, since I thought KonoSuba was pretty popular in the west (not to mention Japan) and would easily take the fan vote. Maybe this was a case where the judges swayed the results. Or maybe Dragon Maid won just due to being more recent (by a few months) since turnover in anime is pretty quick.

Last edited by G S Palmer on Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:35 am; edited 1 time in total
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:13 am Reply with quote
G S Palmer wrote:
That's the problem with having the awards be given by a company who stands to benefit if their shows win. I'm not saying they are biasing the results, I'm just saying it is a possibility.

You realize that Made in Abyss, which got the most prestigious award of Anime of the Year, was most likely nearly unanimously voted in order to tip over the popularity of MHA, and MiA isn’t streaming anywhere in the world on CrunchyRoll. I’d say that’s pretty fair.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:14 am Reply with quote
The one award I was truly disappointed in was I wish Showa Rakugo had won best drama. I love Ancient Magus Bride but I don't see it as a drama at all so it was a bit strange to have it nominated. But otherwise I was pretty pleased with the results. I was pleasantly surprised Girls' Last Tour won best slice of life as I thought for sure MMO Junkie would win that. Girls' Last Tour was one of my top favorite anime of 2017 so I was really happy to see it won.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:21 am Reply with quote
Man, it was quite the plot twist that Made in Abyss won Anime of the Year when I thought MHA would win it. I’m happy that it won though, it’s well deserved along with best score. These awards still need improvement, but it’s getting there as this year was better than last year. The rest of the results were mostly in line with what I expected, save for Koboyashi winning best comedy (It’s more of a slice of life than pure comedy) and Magus Bride winning best drama (I thought that either Rakugo or Made in Abyss would win that one). I was also pleasantly surprised to see Girls’ Last Tour win best slice of life as it was one of my favorites of 2017 in general.

#861208 wrote:
Like, you'd have to pay me to get me to sit through any of the things that won (edit: except for Your Name or March Comes in Like a Lion, those are actually good)

So Made in Abyss isn’t good then? Good joke, mate.
G S Palmer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:29 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I'm going through Crunchyroll's posts from the last few days and I'm barely seeing any advertisements for My Hero Academia at all. The vast majority of shows they're promoting are currently airing winter season shows like How To Raise A Mummy, Laid Back Camp, Ms. Koizumi Loves Ramen Noodles, and A Place Further Than The Universe. I think I've only seen like one or two My Hero Academia related posts in the last few days.

I think they meant when the voting was still ongoing, not in the last few days, which wouldn't matter as far as the awards are concerned.
LegitPancake wrote:
You realize that Made in Abyss, which got the most prestigious award of Anime of the Year, was most likely nearly unanimously voted in order to tip over the popularity of MHA, and MiA isn’t streaming anywhere in the world on CrunchyRoll. I’d say that’s pretty fair.

I mean, CR is entirely capable of realizing that it might look rigged if MHA won everything (they even joked about it during the awards). I don't believe there's some giant conspiracy going on, I'm just saying that mild skepticism is good, since CR isn't totally neutral in this situation. And honestly, I think MHA won because the awards are still more or less a popularity contest, which is unfortunate. As I said, I think the system still needs a bit of tweaking.

If you think I'm posting this because I'm outraged, I'm not. I don't really have a problem with MHA taking a lot of awards, since a lot of people loved the show (I've enjoyed what I've seen of it). I just think there were a few better choices in some of the categories. But that's just my opinion.
xchampion

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:47 am Reply with quote
I'm sorry but My Hero Academia deserved to win all of the awards it won. There wasn't a category that it didn't deserve to be nominated in either. There might be choices you enjoyed more but MHA didn't rob any of the other nominees of wins. You could easily argue why they should have won what they did. Just be happy it didn't win AOTY, which it could have easily won too. Even the Oscars and Emmy's have years when a single show or movie gets nominated and wins multiple categories. Look at Titanic, Lord of the Rings, or even La La Land last year. I didn't like La La Land but I'm not arguing it's 14 noms. It didn't win Best Picture either. It's a very easy comparison with MHA.

Last edited by xchampion on Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Starbuckets

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:50 am Reply with quote
Was there a possibility to vote for "others" like last year?
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:02 am Reply with quote
Well, definitely not a single surprise in this list. Pretty much went exactly as expected. The only one I didn't guess right was Ancient Magus Bride for best drama. Not saying I agree with most of the winners, but it was very predictable overall.
sputn1k

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:10 am Reply with quote
#861208 wrote:
These are really American tastes though.
I just hope that American businesses just getting into anime will recognize how many different tastes there are in Japanese fandom... but if the people who have been in anime the longest (Crunchyroll) don't realize that, then it would be hard. (Though I get the sense FUNi is aware of it. Viz definitely isn't, though...)

Most of the shows you named as popular in Japan are male idol group shows, which at times have great animation, but suffer from awful story writing. For these shows the fact that they are advertising for merch and music is even more apparent than for other shows. It basically falls into the same category as battle-themed card game shows targeted at a younger audience. This makes these shows very unappealing outside of a very specific sub-segment of (predominantly) female fans. The same type of show exists for a male sub-segment, in the shape of the Love Live or Symphogear series, which are more popular outside of Japan than their all-male cast counterparts mentioned above though.
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:12 am Reply with quote
I'm still wondering how "your name" made the ballot this year. Wasn't it a 2016 release?
As for the rest of the awards, they were all series' that I either didn't watch or even make my buy list beside AMB. Which is sad to see but that's how it goes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9